The Unpopular Cricket Opinions Thread

Gollum

13 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I am not sure about the grit part but he was terrific against the quicks unlike Kambli. Kambli was a sitting duck against the short ball (his generation's Raina) but Aravinda is even till today probably the greatest Asian batsman against short stuff, seen him pull/hook Mcgrath, Wasim, Waqar, etc to submission.

He's gotten himself out in silly fashion umpteen times as well.  Not for nothing was he called "Mad Max".

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

SRW's 100 against SA in 1999 right up there as well.

There have been many great knocks in WCs and Waugh's 100 too is in the top tier. But I chose Lloyd and Aravinda simply because of the stage of the tournament. Waugh's knock too would be in my top 5 because of the occasion and opposition. 

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

He's gotten himself out in silly fashion umpteen times as well.  Not for nothing was he called "Mad Max".

That was my favourite cricketer nickname back when I was a kid. I thought it sounded so original, only later I came to know that it was inspired from a movie. 

19.) Indian bowlers were considered poor bowlers because they focussed on line/length than pace, that's completely untrue, that would insult great medium pacers like Pollock and Hadlee. Indian bowlers were equally bad at line/length as well, the likes of Pollock would bowl in 70-75 mph range, but they would land every ball between the 5th stump line and off stump always confusing batsmen whether to play or leave. Both bowling fast and bowling great line/length are equally tough, while one needs good physical fitness the other needs good mental fitness, that is the ability to bowl in the corridor repeatably without getting bored and spraying the ball..

Edited by MechEng
5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Many fans are far more passionate about the game than the selectors, coaches, or even cricketers. For many of these selectors, coaches, or cricketers, it is just a way of earning money.

Sure but applicable for azhar ajay jadeja co not current lot

On 1/28/2018 at 8:49 AM, Gollum said:

I am not sure about the grit part but he was terrific against the quicks unlike Kambli. Kambli was a sitting duck against the short ball (his generation's Raina) but Aravinda is even till today probably the greatest Asian batsman against short stuff, seen him pull/hook Mcgrath, Wasim, Waqar, etc to submission.

I'm guessing you never saw videos of Amarnath then. Pappu de Silva, while a fab hooker, was nothing on Jimmy. Jimbo scored well against probably the greatest fast attack of all time (WI) and against the most biased home umpires of all time (in Pak). Jimmy > Mad Max as far as playing fast bowling goes. [probably an unpopular opinion on this thread]

8 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I'm guessing you never saw videos of Amarnath then. Pappu de Silva, while a fab hooker, was nothing on Jimmy. Jimbo scored well against probably the greatest fast attack of all time (WI) and against the most biased home umpires of all time (in Pak). Jimmy > Mad Max as far as playing fast bowling goes. [probably an unpopular opinion on this thread]

Damn it I forgot about him. Never watched Jimmy bat but you are right, he was the best Asian batsman against genuine fast bowling. De Silva was my 1st choice based on the batsmen I have seen live. Why are you calling him Pappu? Pappu Gandhi, Pappu Patel, Pappu de Silva :confused:, you owe me an explanation !!!!!

P.S. Jimmy had a great record against the great quicks but often got hit by the short ball, his record was based on blood, grit and big balls. Technically against short pitched bowling I guess Jimmy won't be ranked that high. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Damn it I forgot about him. Never watched Jimmy bat but you are right, he was the best Asian batsman against genuine fast bowling. De Silva was my 1st choice based on the batsmen I have seen live. Why are you calling him Pappu? Pappu Gandhi, Pappu Patel, Pappu de Silva :confused:, you owe me an explanation !!!!!

P.S. Jimmy had a great record against the great quicks but often got hit by the short ball, his record was based on blood, grit and big balls. Technically against short pitched bowling I guess Jimmy won't be ranked that high. 

he did get hit often, but he made runs... and of course that's the ultimate currency (e.g. smith in our generation). I call him "pappu" because, in my circles, we didn't know what the P stood for - since the scorecards always said aravinda de silva - until the 2000s or so. hence, we'd christened him pappu.

Technology destroyed Mendis' test career. When Mendis played his first test series he was the most exciting bowler to me, but with laptops and slow motion cameras all his tricks were exposed.

Now if you develop some technology which can expose all tricks of magicians then what will happen to the magicians? They will go unemployed! It's the same with Mendis. 

28 minutes ago, Vilander said:

People who have not actually played international cricket should keep their comments on cricket lite and not assume too much importance to their opinions, cause they dont know ****.

It does not work like that. Most Ex-international cricketers and commentators spout BS.

1. Dhoni is a better captain than Kohli in LOIs. 
2. IPL is the best thing ever to happen to Indian cricket. 
3. Yuvraj Singh is a bit overrated. A nothing test career and a "start-stop" ODI career where he had been dropped many times from the squad and averages only 36 with the bat. 
4. Sehwag under achieved in ODI cricket. He could have definitely averaged more than 35 had he shown some temperament. 
5. Duncan Fletcher was one of the worst coaches we had and was responsible for 0-8 in 2011. 

6. Ambati Rayudu would have broken into Team India much earlier had he not participated in ICL. 
7. Both Sachin and Dhoni are selfish regarding retirement. Kohli will also be selfish when his time comes. 
8. Anil Kumble is overrated as coach. He wouldn't have changed our fortunes in SENA tests. 
9. India would have won Champions Trophy 2017 had Kohli decided to bat first. 
10. Kohli's captaincy is the reason why our middle order is poor in ODIs. He doesn't allow anyone to settle at 4, 5 and 6 by his constant chop and change. 
11. Shane Warne is the greatest spin bowler to ever play the game. Muralidharan would have been banned for chucking had he played in current era. 
12. India vs Pakistan cricket matches are extremely overrated.