ESPN Cricinfo test XI in last 25 years

19 minutes ago, Garuda said:

Donald/Ambrose/Waqar to fill for Wasim and Murali. Dravid/Kirsten for Hayden/Sehwag

PS- I totally forgot Steyn. He is better than Wasim and Murali IMHO

There has to be a off spiners as well as left arm quick. How many wickets Donald/Ambrose/Waqar took comparatively to Wasim and Murali? :cantstop: Even I rate Walsh than trundler Ambrose. :cantstop:

8 minutes ago, Lala said:

There has to be a off spiners as well as left arm quick. How many wickets Donald/Ambrose/Waqar took comparatively to Wasim and Murali? :cantstop: Even I rate Walsh than trundler Ambrose. :cantstop:

So Ambrose was trundler and Walsh wasn't?

This sort of team needs to be conditions based, can't pick a generic XI.

If match is in SC I will replace Warne with Kumble (being a leggie he is a more preferable option to complement Murali as opposed to Ashwin) while Sanga takes Ponting's place. Andy Flower will be my keeper then because he was one of the greatest I have seen against spin bowling. 

In SEN countries Murali, Viru, Hayden will make way for Steyn, G. Smith, Langer respectively.

In Australia Ambrose should play instead of Murali. 

Sachin, Lara, Kallis, Akram and Mcgrath are the only sure starters irrespective of conditions. 

16 minutes ago, Lala said:

You dont need a off spinner or left armer if you have the best team. I lost you at trundler Ambrose :thumpdown:

33 minutes ago, Garuda said:

You dont need a off spinner or left armer if you have the best team. I lost you at trundler Ambrose :thumpdown:

Who can turn this much of spin in non subcontinent pitches? :cantstop:

Wasim is the king of swing. His inswingers to right handers are lethal. Moreover he is better lower order batsmen who scored even a double century (257*) where trundler Ambrose cant even hold the bat properly.

BTW Can your Ambrose do this? :cantstop:

Wud be same for me , just that i wud like a bit more pace so ill keep murali option flexible with akthar or bond . Yea their are options like steyn who was my fav but will consider akthar over him just to rattle opposition with that pace. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

I agree with the jury. Looks like a fantastic team. I made the second XI to face this first XI at Lord's or MCG -

Smith

Cook

Dravid

Sangakkara

Steve Waugh (C)

Andrew Flintoff

Mark Boucher (W)

Mitchell Starc

Anil Kumble

Dale Steyn

James Anderson

All bases covered.

A tough opener in Smith, an accumulator in Cook.

Run machines Dravid, Sangakkara followed by fighting troubleshooter Steve.

Jimmy to swing it, Steyn and Starc to enforce it.

Kumble to run amok on drier days and Flintoff to kill it with his x-factor.

Above all, the best pair of hands behind the stumps.

Cook, Dravid, Freddie, and Jimmy to stand behind to take all chances that come across their way.

The challenge is to select a XI for all kinds of pitches in all kinds of countries. No caveats.

I always start with the bowling. 2 spinners a must in Ind/Pak/UAE/SL/Ban/WI. 3 pacers a must in SA/Eng/Aus/NZ.

So, 5 bowlers (3 pacers + 2 spinners), 5 batsmen, 1 WK-batsman.

From the original Cricinfo list, I'd get rid of ..

Sehwag (biggest match winning batsman in sub-con but very unreliable in SENA)

Ponting (not good in sub-con)

M Hayden

* G Smith

B Lara

S Tendulkar

K Sangakkara (prefer him for his style over Kallis, Ponting and Dravid)

+ A Gilchrist

W Akram

S Warne

D Steyn

M Muralitharan

G McGrath