Iceland with 3.34lac population is in football WC, China/India/USA/Indonesia/pak/BD/Philippines are not

randomGuy

Herr Dr. Goebbels @Gollum

I took your words about the Icelander Aryan uebermensch at face value and have been rooting for them ever since. But Times of India tells me that they lost to dark (horses?) Nigeria. This is a little too much for me to digest. First Jesse Owens and now this. Surely it must all be a ruse of devious Germanic proportions.

Ach, schade.

Edited by Mariyam

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

Herr Dr. Goebbels @Gollum

I took your words about the Icelander Aryan uebermensch at face value and have been rooting for them ever since. But Times of India tells me that they lost to dark (horses?) Nigeria. This is a little too much for me to digest. First Jesse Owens and now this. Surely it must all a ruse of a sort.

Ach, schade.

Nigeria population 18.6 crores

Iceland population 3.3 lakhs

And why stop at football.... academics, strength sports, innovation sab ko gin lo. 

17 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Nigeria population 18.6 crores

Iceland population 3.3 lakhs

And why stop at football.... academics, strength sports, innovation sab ko gin lo. 

The Nigerians are pretty innovative. The other day some Nigerians offered Iffat aunty 500K USD via email and all she had to do was share her bank account number and login credentials. Heard she wept for 8 days straight after that, breaking her own previous record for maximum continuous time wept.

So dreadful was her crying that even the RBI has started screening ads on TV to warn people.

Can the Icelander herrenvolk display such creativity?

1 hour ago, mishra said:

Those talking about genetics should know that South Korea and Japan qualifies nut not Chiina while Chinese beat everyone in Olympics while 

Afghanistan allways beats India in football because they play in Iran.

Costa Rica and Panama has same population as Iceland

I think you need to check populations again!!

Both Costa Rica and Panama have over 4 million which makes them at least 13 times bigger than Iceland 

I agree the Indian diet is bad. I’m 6’2 whereas my parents who were born and raised in India were 5’6 and 5’1 at their peak. I drank loads of milk as a child and we always had more daal in comparison to roti, whereas most Indian people will have loads of roti and have a tiny portion of daal.

Dairy is great for growth in my opinion.

Just like county was/is a nursery for the overseas players especially West Indies in nurturing and honing the skills, European soccer leagues are similar. Regarding India at football, you need exposure playing in the European leagues.  The gap is closing between the teams at the WC is largely due to the fact that most of these players from around the world get exposure playing with the best in the top European leagues.  I think it is Senegal that has all players playing in French or other leagues.  This is the most important factor not these stupid genetic theories.

https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/cant-get-your-eyes-off-toni-kroos-world-cup-goal-well-india-did-it-way-before-1789927.html

One's saying we don't have talent should watch the goal in link, it curled more than koors goal and this was by a 16 years old.  At age group level I have seen India consistently match top sides, no reason this can be translated into success at senior level 

11 hours ago, mishra said:

Those talking about genetics should know that South Korea and Japan qualifies nut not Chiina while Chinese beat everyone in Olympics while 

Afghanistan allways beats India in football because they play in Iran.

Costa Rica and Panama has same population as Iceland

Just check athletics performance of China

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

Only 6 medals and out of 3 of them in race walking , Kenya and Jamaica were ahead of them.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:55 PM, abc said:

In India, many might play football as a hobby, but those that do go on to play professional football probably tried their hand at cricket/badminton/wrestling/any sport India is strong at and found they sucked harder than a vacuum cleaner at it.

So it's not the cream of the crop in terms of sporting talent that ends up with the sorry task of representing India at football. I doubt Sushil Kumar would have made a bad scrum-half (low centre of gravity, very strong, lots of agility in tight spaces) but why play rugby when (i) you have grown in a culture immersed in wrestling and (ii) you could go on to win two Olympic medals?

Why will Footballers don't choose professional football.Indian clubs are importing Africans by offering the killer amount

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/african-footballers-flock-to-india-for-greener-pastures-sports-feature

Around 400 African footballers play in India and indian clubs offer them 100k to 400k USD.This is very good amount of money for any sportsman

On 6/21/2018 at 6:16 AM, sarchasm said:

No need to be so negative. Granted India blows at the beautiful game but we have our own strengths.

For example, can you think of any other country with so many geneticists per capita? Just have to read up this thread to see how naturally blessed we are in this discipline.

The amount of analysis we do on food habits, psychology, upbringing sports culture and etc. of different countries and on the other hand an average German fan may not even know where India is on the globe.

On 6/18/2018 at 11:39 PM, randomGuy said:

The question comes up why is the gap narrow... 1 answer could be the universal popularity of the sport and 2nd reason could also be the nature of the sport itself... For ex. T20 cricket Afghanistan has more chance of beating india than in test cricket.... Football could be like t20? 

Interesting. Sports like sprinting, football and t20 cricket require more fast twitched muscle fibres for explosive strength, whereas marathons and test cricket require more slow twitched muscle fibres for endurance. But that's just my theory!

P.S.: This could also be the reason why cricketers get so easily injured today. Because of very high fitness standards and lots of gym work, players have developed very good fast twitch muscle fibres but also underdeveloped their slow twitch muscle fibres. People with high amount of fast twitch muscle fibres fatigue easily.

Edited by MechEng

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

Interesting. Sports like sprinting, football and t20 cricket require more fast twitched muscle fibres for explosive strength, whereas marathons and test cricket require more slow twitched muscle fibres for endurance. But that's just my theory!

P.S.: This could also be the reason why cricketers get so easily injured today. Because of very high fitness standards and lots of gym work, players have developed very good fast twitch muscle fibres but also underdeveloped their slow twitch muscle fibres. People with high amount of fast twitch muscle fibres fatigue easily.

I totally agree with your thoughts .....but you would also agree that comparing team sport with individual sport will give us a part of the story but not the full story...

India probably isn't great in marathons also. Icelanders aren't great sprinters probably.  india china usa etc. Could be atleast not worse than iceland (A country of only 3 lac) without much effort due to their large populations? India's fifa rank is in the 90s, China in 70s, Iran is 37, USA is 25,iceland is 22, Tunisia (got smashed by England) 21 etc... 

This tells me tht perhaps there isn't much difference in rank 20 to rank 100 team in football. 

Edited by randomGuy

10 hours ago, randomGuy said:

This tells me tht perhaps there isn't much difference in rank 20 to rank 100 team in football. 

Apart from Euro and World cups since when countries play each other seriously.England by far has some of world's best clubs.There is no comparison between Tunisia and England