Two new balls

maybe instead of leather and cork, manufactures should try using different materials to make balls... or use low quality leather ( like the balls we used for our sat/sun matches :p:).. ball tends to go out of shape after 8-9 overs and keeps the contest interesting

I forgot to bump this thread. In the last T20 , the kooka ball got ripped up after 1 good hit by Buttler and then even the replaced ball got beaten up in a few overs. Bad enough that kookaburra can't make a ball that moves an inch even in somewhat helpful conditions but they, nowadays can't make a ball that can last even 2 overs? Remember the WACA test between OZ and NZ  when the ball kept getting replaced and then Kookaburra blamed the conditions in Perth for it? If kookaburra can't make a ball that lasts fifty overs without getting discoloured it replaced , shouldn't ICC just ban them and use Dukes,SG and Readers' alternatives instead of sticking with Kooka and giving them twice the sales by continuing with this useless two new ball rule? 

The BCCI were contemplating  on using a white SG ball for coming home seasons of ODI and T20 cricket. Any updates on this?

11 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I forgot to bump this thread. In the last T20 , the kooka ball got ripped up after 1 good hit by Buttler and then even the replaced ball got beaten up in a few overs. Bad enough that kookaburra can't make a ball that moves an inch even in somewhat helpful conditions but they, nowadays can't make a ball that can last even 2 overs? Remember the WACA test between OZ and NZ  when the ball kept getting replaced and then Kookaburra blamed the conditions in Perth for it? If kookaburra can't make a ball that lasts fifty overs without getting discoloured it replaced , shouldn't ICC just ban them and use Dukes,SG and Readers' alternatives instead of sticking with Kooka and giving them twice the sales by continuing with this useless two new ball rule? 

The BCCI were contemplating  on using a white SG ball for coming home seasons of ODI and T20 cricket. Any updates on this?

balls lose shape and get replaced from every manufacturer, not just kookaburra. SG is no different. it is after all a leather ball and is bound to lose shape every now and then.

As i recall, the problem was the ball lost its white which led to visibility issues. They used to replace that affected ball with another ball of similar age or wear & tear before two new balls came to be used. 

Could they just institute ball replacement at 25 overs as a rule instead of ad-hoc replacement as earlier ? From the 26th over, a previously used ball which has been cleaned up on the surface could be used. The first new ball for game 1 could act as ball 2 for a game in the future post minor clean up etc. 

The second ball shouldn't be as unfriendly to spin & reverse as 2 new balls.

Edited by Clarke
On 6/25/2018 at 12:19 AM, Lala said:

Missing reverse-swing due to 2 new balls has seriously demoralized Pakistan Death Bowling

The big reason why Pak pacers have been ineffective since this rule. Even Wahab Riaz had to resort to bounce Shane Watson because of this, with the old ball he would have bowled Aus for cheap.

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

balls lose shape and get replaced from every manufacturer, not just kookaburra. SG is no different. it is after all a leather ball and is bound to lose shape every now and then.

I don't remember the white Dukes ever being replaced ever so frequently unlike the kookaburra(white or red) in recent times like in the examples i quoted above.

On 6/22/2018 at 1:29 PM, Mosher said:

Brick back the one ball rule. Reverse swing will bring back a little balance between bat and ball. Bowlers getting hammered in every game is making ODI's a bit boring.

problem is, what will you do when the teams start insisting on ball changes or the ball is discoloured. First they introduced a mandatory change after 34 overs which was neither here nor there because the ball was not even new. Now they have two new balls which were meant to assist conventional swing. 

Perhaps we need super balls which do not discolour or grow out of shape in 50 overs. 

3 hours ago, Mosher said:

Read somewhere that they are testing a new ball which is much harder and so won't go out of shape soon.

difficult to predict if there is anything happening because of this recent turn of events - with sachin waqar talking about this. There is a clear case of favoring batsmen over bowlers at present if all rules are in their favor and ball is too.

On 7/11/2018 at 11:16 AM, Nikhil_cric said:

I don't remember the white Dukes ever being replaced ever so frequently unlike the kookaburra(white or red) in recent times like in the examples i quoted above.

Yes, Agree with that. Discolouration stuff Wasnt there. If bowling teams cam cope with wet outfield why batting side cant cope with slight discolouration during d/n game

Edited by mishra
On 7/11/2018 at 1:10 PM, Vilander said:

difficult to predict if there is anything happening because of this recent turn of events - with sachin waqar talking about this. There is a clear case of favoring batsmen over bowlers at present if all rules are in their favor and ball is too.

Imo they are not going to change anything,junta are there to watch the batsmen hit 4s and 6s and even the broadcasters prefer this.

7 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

Imo they are not going to change anything,junta are there to watch the batsmen hit 4s and 6s and even the broadcasters prefer this.

Thats incorrect. I havent watched any game properly since 2 new ball rule. If anything its killing interest in odis. Why watch odis if we can see

same thing in T20.

4 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

You are not an average fan,the fact that you comment on a cricket forum disqualifies you.

I have never seen evidence of this 'average fan' preferring boundaries over balance between bat and ball except some statements by boards like ECB to justify flat pitches and two new ball rule even in reality they are really just maximising their chances at winning. 

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I have never seen evidence of this 'average fan' preferring boundaries over balance between bat and ball except some statements by boards like ECB to justify flat pitches and two new ball rule even in reality they are really just maximising their chances at winning. 

are you serious.whats the whole point of T20 and the IPL other than hittng a 1000 sixes a tournament? .they just invented a new format because there wasnt enough excitement and offensive fireworks in ODIs.now even the ODIs has adapted with teams going at it from ball on ultra flat wickets which have been the norm everywhere.