Bumrah needs to be rested in LOIs vs weaker teams. Who are the potential replacements according to you ?

I think the top fast bowling prospects - Avesh,Khaleel,Nagarkoti ,Siraj, Mavi etc

should play ODIs against the weaker teams for now and later stake their claim for bigger ODI matches and tests.  But no T20's for god's sake. They need to bowl plenty of overs and develop. T20's will ruin them with the need for a variation every other ball. Leave that to the shardul thakur s,kauls etc. who have the variations for the format but not necessarily the other attributes to be Pacers in the longer formats. 

29 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I think the top fast bowling prospects - Avesh,Khaleel,Nagarkoti ,Siraj, Mavi etc

should play ODIs against the weaker teams for now and later stake their claim for bigger ODI matches and tests.  But no T20's for god's sake. They need to bowl plenty of overs and develop. T20's will ruin them with the need for a variation every other ball. Leave that to the shardul thakur s,kauls etc. who have the variations for the format but not necessarily the other attributes to be Pacers in the longer formats. 

You can add Saini, Rajpoot, Prasidh Krishna as well.

15 hours ago, chewy said:

What about Mavi, this guy should be in first team and get the odd ODI or Test game

Only 19, well built and bowling 90mph effortlessly , give him exposure to International cricket now, and by 21-22 he will probably have good experience, just the way India managed Bumrah

I feel some of these out and out quicks, need to play them young, because of short shelf life...it’s abit harsh buts that’s the way it is in cricket 

I am one of the biggest supporters of pace on this forum.  But just having pace is not enough. Learning to sustain pace and intensity over the entire match, is very important too.  Learning to put a lot of balls in the right place, while maintaining high pace, is very important too.

Training at the NCA under the strength and conditioning coaches, to improve strength and stamina ... have worked wonders for our fast bowlers.

Playing at least 1 full season of FC, or maybe 2 ... help most pacers too.  Srinath, Bumrah, Shami, Siraj etc. all the good quality genuine quicks, have all done it. They learn to bowl over after over which is very important.

Playing for India-A is the final step for most players before international debut.  It  helps them immensely by bowling against the top prospects and some international players.

Thankfully, all this process is being completed rather fast these days.  Khaleel and Prasidh have made it to India-A  after just one good List-A and T20 season and stints at the NCA.

Mavi has already got a chance in India-B.  I want him to play for India-A as soon as possible. He is just 19... even if he makes it to Team India by 21, he will still have 10 years at full pace.

Edited by express bowling
15 hours ago, express bowling said:

Our test match team has become very difficult to break into for young pacers.  Bumrah, Shami, Bhuvi get first preference based on their top performances.  Ishant was bad ... but seems to have rediscovered himself after a county stint. Then there is Pandya bowling quick too and starting to pick wickets.  

All this has led to a top prospect like Siraj ... who can bowl accurately at good pace and is in top form ... being left out.  Rajpoot and Saini are 2 other good quick bowlers waiting for a test callup.

But ... our LOI scenario is totally different.  ODIs just have 1 good pacer in Bumrah and T20Is have 2 good pacers in Bumrah and Bhuvi.   The chosen backups like Kaul and Shardul, are very mediocre.  It is here that we need Khalil, Siraj, Prasidh, Mavi etc.

I think prasidh was good in Ipl so was thambi, occasional phainta is bound to happen but these guys held their nerves Khaleel provides you left arm quick option plus Siraj is a fantastic talent. 

16 minutes ago, vayuu1 said:

I think prasidh was good in Ipl so was thambi, occasional phainta is bound to happen but these guys held their nerves Khaleel provides you left arm quick option plus Siraj is a fantastic talent. 

Khaleel, Prasidh and Siraj are on their way up ... and playing successfully for India-A.

But Thampi seems to have lost his way. He was a part of our A-team but is out of the picture now.

It seems a bit unfair to Bumrah if selectors decide to limit his career by restricting his matches played in shorter formats.

Bumrah has the talent/potential to be an ATG bowler across the three formats (although I may be getting ahead of myself in terms of Tests since he is so new in that format).  

Would it really be justified to hard-cap his ability to climb the ranks of ODI and T20 bowlers by wrapping him in bubble wrap and preserving him for Tests?

I wonder what fans who are mainly T20 and ODI fans would think if arguably India's best bowler doesn't participate in the formats they derive the most joy from? 

38 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

It seems a bit unfair to Bumrah if selectors decide to limit his career by restricting his matches played in shorter formats.

Bumrah has the talent/potential to be an ATG bowler across the three formats (although I may be getting ahead of myself in terms of Tests since he is so new in that format).  

Would it really be justified to hard-cap his ability to climb the ranks of ODI and T20 bowlers by wrapping him in bubble wrap and preserving him for Tests?

I wonder what fans who are mainly T20 and ODI fans would think if arguably India's best bowler doesn't participate in the formats they derive the most joy from? 

Jasprit Bumrah is an absolute powerhouse. The way he can differentiate himself from previous bowling greats is by excelling even in twenty20. So, yeah, let him play all formats and if he gets tired, give him a break. No other policy. 

Edited by lamellavig

Yes, the bigger the pool, the better for India. We shouldn’t hesistate to hand over Indian cap to novice at times, if they have potential to do well for India. New caps being handed will only push other bowlers to work harder. Competiton among the bowlers is always good for team. 

Not that it has worked for Australia recently, but we need to take a cue from them by giving chance and rotating the bowlers. At times it can hurt the team if too many new bowlers are tried at the aame time in a team, but if bowlers are rotated sensibly and the caps are given in a manner in which the Indian team reprsented on the game day doesn’t look too weak, with a good mixtuee of debutants and one senior or two bowlers around, then there should be no harm. 

On 8/22/2018 at 12:15 PM, express bowling said:

That is true.  T20s often tend to show the test match type young pacers in bad light as they don't have the variations needed to stem the flow of runs.  

Khaleel Ahmed is another very quick bowler aged only 20. Plus he is a tall left armer.

Khaleel is already playing for India-A in 50 over games.  And doing really well.

Mavi has been chosen for India-B for a 50 over quadrangular trophy featuring India-A,  India-B, Australia-A and South Africa A.

Nagarkoti injured himself just before the IPL.  This was unfortunate. But he is in the selectors' radar.

Avesh Khan is the tallest and bounciest of the lot ... and as quick as the other 3.  But he is the one who is languishing in terms of progress.

Thoroughly enjoy reading your posts. You and rkt are real gems of this discussion forum.

3 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Bumrah should be played that minimum amount of lois which does not makes him rusty in big events like 50,20 over wcs..once he reaches the age of 30-31 he can pick and choose series against various opponents,but not playing at all(lois) will make him rusty,like he should not play t20s against bd,afg,ireland etc

Bumrah should play ODIs against Australia, England, South Africa, New Zealand and Pakistan, if any.  Should also play all big LOI tournaments including the Asia Cup.

I was talking about resting him in bilateral  LOIs vs Ireland, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan etc.  and some bilateral T20 matches against the other teams. 

Edited by express bowling