Rohit Sharma’s captaincy talk of the town now; responsibility made him better batsman: Sunil Gavaskar

Switchblade

This is not a comment on Rohit's captaincy potential or Kohli's  captaincy performance, but to remove India's best batsman from captaincy, against his express wishes (I assume), at a time when he is at his very peak form, well injury and other acts of God aside, I don't think that's happening this side of the world cup, and even after that only if he/ Team India combust in spectacular fashion in that tournament. 

8 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Rohit Sharma comes across as someone who doesn’t care about the team selections/combinations etc (I am not saying that is a great trait). I think that is mostly Bewda, Dadu and Kohli’s Call a.k.a Axis of Evil.

However he seems to bring  out the best in whatever crap he plays with be it MI or Team India. Keep his calm and composure and make good changes/field placings

+ Dadu has to try hard to get due footage on helping in captaining.As Rohit give shits to his experience and takes control of most of the things.

2 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Yeah but still I do think Rohit gets influenced by Dhoni at some point of time

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

You see, there are few commentators who understand the match very well, Like Nasir, Gavaskar. If they say something as extrapolation like a leg slip is needed or a bowling change is needed, or chahal may be tried, And still catain in the middle is not doing so, then there is rarely something which captain is reading, more/different than these people.

During Kohli days (English series). Nasir seemed to be advising a lot about field placements and bowling change, While here, I dont see much difference in view on what is happening on field and what some sensible commies are saying

Edited by mishra

You see, there are few commentators who understand the match very well, Like Nasir, Gavaskar. If they say something as extrapolation like a leg slip is needed or a bowling change is needed, or chahal may be tried, And still catain in the middle is not doing so, then there is rarely something which captain is reading, more/different than these people.

During Kohli days (English series). Nasir seemed to be advising a lot about field placements and bowling change, While here, I dont see much difference in view on what is happening on field and what some sensible commies are saying

Kohli doesn't understand cricket.
He's a brainless gawar.

What I wanted to say is Rohit too gets a lot of tips from Dhoni in terms of team selections and other stuff.
Or else how do you think likes of Chahar and Jaddu got into the team?

1 minute ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Kohli doesn't understand cricket.
He's a brainless gawar.

What I wanted to say is Rohit too gets a lot of tips from Dhoni in terms of team selections and other stuff.
Or else how do you think likes of Chahar and Jaddu got into the team?

I think Chahal compliments KD.

but Jadddu, I dont know:--D

1 hour ago, mishra said:

No, He and Dhawan are real reason for our success in odis. Without chkg the stats, I can say that 90% of matches we have won, either or both  of two bats have done well.

Plus, Rohit knows the impact of slow bowlers/spinners in limited overs cricket

In Nidahas trophy he messed the situation by no sending Karthik .and that took match to last ball where 5 are required.Karthik hits the six and India won .This is you call luck factor.Of course other factors are around their but With Kohli his luck is not with him.Whenever he played brilliantly India fails to win tournaments

7 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

In Nidahas trophy he messed the situation by no sending Karthik .and that took match to last ball where 5 are required.Karthik hits the six and India won .This is you call luck factor.Of course other factors are around their but With Kohli his luck is not with him.Whenever he played brilliantly India fails to win tournaments

Yes, Agree

You need a bit of luck to be a captain. I think Tendulkar gave up captaincy after several failure but he genuinely felt Luck isnt favouring him.

"The match against Pakistan on 14 December highlights how things were just not going my way. I was batting at number four in this competition, at the selectors' request. Sourav and Navjot Sidhu had given us a good start against Pakistan, and when Sidhu got out at 143–2, I sent in Robin Singh, the all-rounder, to accelerate the innings. It was a strategy I had given considerable thought to.

"Manzoor Akhtar, the leg-spinner, was at one end bowling around the wicket to the right-handed batsmen. The theory was that Robin, a left-hander, would be able to negotiate his leg-spin better and also hit some big shots. However, Robin got out without scoring after just three balls from Azhar Mahmood, the medium-pacer, and the experiment proved a disaster. In the press I was criticised for sending in Robin ahead of me and the move was blamed for our defeat," Tendulkar wrote in his autobiography.

"A month later, however, in January 1998, Azhar, back as captain, repeated the very same move in the final of the Silver Jubilee Independence Cup in Dhaka against Pakistan. Robin was sent in at three to keep up the momentum after Sourav and I had got off to a flier and this time Robin played a terrific hand, scoring 82 and setting up the run chase.

"This was arguably a bigger gamble, because he was pitted against the off-spinner Saqlain Mushtaq and it is no secret that left-handers find it more difficult against off-spinners.

"The same experiment was now hailed as a masterstroke.

14 minutes ago, mishra said:

Yes, Agree

You need a bit of luck to be a captain. I think Tendulkar gave up captaincy after several failure but he genuinely felt Luck isnt favouring him.

Lol luck. Kohli is much poor captain and tactician compared to rohit. There is reason he has 3 ipl wins in just few years of captaincy. I know ipl and internation is way different but kohli has taken numerous poor decisions as captain and selection of xi or chasing in pressure matches. 

54 minutes ago, mishra said:

"The match against Pakistan on 14 December highlights how things were just not going my way. I was batting at number four in this competition, at the selectors' request. Sourav and Navjot Sidhu had given us a good start against Pakistan, and when Sidhu got out at 143–2, I sent in Robin Singh, the all-rounder, to accelerate the innings. It was a strategy I had given considerable thought to.

"Manzoor Akhtar, the leg-spinner, was at one end bowling around the wicket to the right-handed batsmen. The theory was that Robin, a left-hander, would be able to negotiate his leg-spin better and also hit some big shots. However, Robin got out without scoring after just three balls from Azhar Mahmood, the medium-pacer, and the experiment proved a disaster. In the press I was criticised for sending in Robin ahead of me and the move was blamed for our defeat," Tendulkar wrote in his autobiography.

"A month later, however, in January 1998, Azhar, back as captain, repeated the very same move in the final of the Silver Jubilee Independence Cup in Dhaka against Pakistan. Robin was sent in at three to keep up the momentum after Sourav and I had got off to a flier and this time Robin played a terrific hand, scoring 82 and setting up the run chase.

"This was arguably a bigger gamble, because he was pitted against the off-spinner Saqlain Mushtaq and it is no secret that left-handers find it more difficult against off-spinners.

"The same experiment was now hailed as a masterstroke.

This is why I don't give much give much importance to praises by " experts " when the team or player is doing well.

Most don't have the courage to point out a deficiency when success is coming, but start praising non stop.

How often have we heard the following ...

A pacer bowls a bouncer ... gets hit for a 4 ... commentator says  " Poor choice of ball on a slow pitch / conditions where ball is moving etc. " 

Same pacer bowls a vicious bouncer next over ...  same commentator ,  " Brilliant bowling by him, he has the extra pace to bowl short on any pitch "

Edited by express bowling
2 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Lol luck. Kohli is much poor captain and tactician compared to rohit. There is reason he has 3 ipl wins in just few years of captaincy. I know ipl and internation is way different but kohli has taken numerous poor decisions as captain and selection of xi or chasing in pressure matches. 

Agree with that 100%. Kohli is not unlucky. He has incorrect attitude and no brain. He doesnt do homework , poor understanding of game and that results in obvious brain freeze.

6 hours ago, NameGoesHere said:

This is not a comment on Rohit's captaincy potential or Kohli's  captaincy performance, but to remove India's best batsman from captaincy, against his express wishes (I assume), at a time when he is at his very peak form, well injury and other acts of God aside, I don't think that's happening this side of the world cup, and even after that only if he/ Team India combust in spectacular fashion in that tournament. 

So is Kohli bigger than the team?

Idk who is doing selection of squad and xi but if xi is picked properly and best for conditions then rohit will surely win in far more dominating fashion against these minnows. Kohli depends alot on dhoni in odis while rohit needs dhoni mostly for drs reviews. I would still take risk of picking pant over dhoni and rohit over kohli as captain.

My XI for Worldcup:

Rohit

Dhawan

Virat

Rahul

Pant

Kedar

Pandya

Khaleel

Kuldeep

Chahal/Bhuvi/Shami

Bumrah

We can play this side if rohit captains side else will have to pick dhoni for doing half the job of virat.

11 minutes ago, Khota said:

So is Kohli bigger than the team?

There was stage where everyone felt kohli is underperforming in dhoni's captaincy (was after worldcup). It looked kohli wanted captaincy anyhow and i do feel he won't give up his captaincy. He is really hungry for it and yes he performs better as captain but his captaincy is poor which might affect team's result.