Is Steve Waugh the greatest captain ever?

lamellavig

Steve Waugh, the iceman, was a player fit to lead McGrath, Warne and Gilchrist's Aussies. Steve Waugh kept enforcing the follow on even after Eden Gardens 2001. Steve Waugh is like cricket's Pep Guardiola.

Virat Kohli is like cricket's Mourinho. Virat Kohli is boring, defensive and negative. Steve Waugh was the most attacking you could possibly be. He had 5 slips at all times. 
No indian captain would declare the first innings with the position we were in and kind of runs we would have got......

Not to enforce the follow-on is a very good decision

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, gakgupta said:

When you don't have...you have to build one...just like Kohli did...

Wait wait what.... :cantstop:

What great bowling did kohli build? 

Shami and Ishant played before.. Only reason we are doing this well is because of Bumrah that's it.  Poor guy Dhoni had to deal with phasttt leaking machine like Umesh yadav. Kohli can afford to leave him out. Funny part is.. The match that Umesh played we ended up losing even here. 

Edited by Rasgulla
2 hours ago, Clarke said:

Really ? It took him a while to remove Adam Dale from opening the bowling and bring the spearhead McGrath where he belonged. Which great captain does this kind of buffoonery ?

I think you are nitpicking here ,there are many instances where great captains have made mistakes..

Infact people also come up saying it was foolish on his part when he imposed follow on in Kolkata,but he didn't expect India to respond in such a manner,Dravid ,Laxman put a performance which is worth remembering

All in all he played 30 intl matches ,how many under steve waugh?

And how many matches did he open the bowling under Steve Waugh?

Plz enlighten,just curious

Edited by Suhaan
2 hours ago, Suhaan said:

I think you are nitpicking here ,there are many instances where great captains have made mistakes..

Infact people also come up saying it was foolish on his part when he imposed follow on in Kolkata,but he didn't expect India to respond in such a manner,Dravid ,Laxman put a performance which is worth remembering

All in all he played 30 intl matches ,how many under steve waugh?

2 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Plz enlighten,just curious

I'm not sure and it's irrelevant whether the same blunders were committed twice or twenty times. 

I was referring to the WC win as a masterpiece, which I totally disagree given that they came close to being knocked out in group stages due to such silly leadership. I would classify the 99 win as his/ their great escape.

I don't dispute the follow on in Kolkata for what it's worth, one can't predict against pure magic on the field.

11 minutes ago, Clarke said:

I'm not sure and it's irrelevant whether the same blunders were committed twice or twenty times. 

I was referring to the WC win as a masterpiece, which I totally disagree given that they came close to being knocked out in group stages due to such silly leadership. I would classify the 99 win as his/ their great escape.

I don't dispute the follow on in Kolkata for what it's worth, one can't predict against pure magic on the field.

99 win doesnt seem as their great escape,it was rather a great display of character.After conceding two carry over points against Pak and NZ,They started to turn the corner from the first super six match against India and never looked back and a modest total of 213 was smartly defended against the then Saffers,not once did they hold the Saffers but twice,i would rather call their loss to Nz in the league stage a disaster

11 hours ago, Cricketics said:

I never liked any captain more than Hansie Cronje. My favorite till date. I was young and probabaly today have better knowledge of the game than what I had when Hansie was in his prime and wasn’t even charged for the match fixing, but I do remember him being a class captain. I envied him as a young fan and still would say he is my favorite captain ever 

9 hours ago, gakgupta said:

For me...Hansie Cronje is the best captain ever...

I don't know, captains before him....

Yup cronje for me too was the best captain I've seen .

Hussain,Fleming,lady were good as well 

30 minutes ago, Aiden said:

No Imran Khan was

Imran is the reason why the next 10 Pakistani captains all tried to be the one-man overlord of the team - ruined the team culture to an extent that can be seen even today.  Although maybe one can argue that Pakistan team never had much of a team culture to begin with.

5 hours ago, sandeep said:

Imran is the reason why the next 10 Pakistani captains all tried to be the one-man overlord of the team - ruined the team culture to an extent that can be seen even today.  Although maybe one can argue that Pakistan team never had much of a team culture to begin with.

They were not a particularly cultured team on the whole. bunch of strong-willed individuals who required a supreme overlord like imran khan to boss them around.