Dhoni is still a problem; his series stats are misleading - but he will definitely go to the WC now (not that it was ever in doubt)

SK_IH

10 minutes ago, Rasgulla said:

Still the king though :p: 

hyenas confronting the lion have teeth that can bite through bones, which lions cannot do. 9 times out of 10, I would back a group of aggressive hyenas to kill the lion (and chomp away until almost nothing remains).

On the face of it Dhoni won MOS and scored 3 fifties in 3 games, but the stats are a little misleading. Okay, in the first ODI he got a wrong decision, but 50 from 96 in this day and age is unacceptable even if you are rebuilding. If you play 100 balls, your SR should be at least 90. In England where scores in the high 300s and 400s are not uncommon, Dhoni will be a huge liability. We will either set 300 on a 330 wicket or fall short by 30 runs chasing 300+. In both the 2nd and 3rd ODIs he was not convincing. 

But now that there's no way he won't be a part of the WC team, we need to make sure we make the best of what we have:

1)Dhawan

2)Rohit

3)Kohli

4)Dhoni

5)Karthik

6)Jadhav

7)Pandya

8)Jadeja

9)Bhuvi

10)Shami

11)Bumrah

We bat till 8-9. We will need Jadeja, Pandya and Jadhav to bowl 20 overs.

9 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

On the face of it Dhoni won MOS and scored 3 fifties in 3 games, but the stats are a little misleading. Okay, in the first ODI he got a wrong decision, but 50 from 96 in this day and age is unacceptable even if you are rebuilding. If you play 100 balls, your SR should be at least 90. In England where scores in the high 300s and 400s are not uncommon, Dhoni will be a huge liability. We will either set 300 on a 330 wicket or fall short by 30 runs chasing 300+. In both the 2nd and 3rd ODIs he was not convincing. 

But now that there's no way he won't be a part of the WC team, we need to make sure we make the best of what we have:

1)Dhawan

2)Rohit

3)Kohli

4)Dhoni

5)Karthik

6)Jadhav

7)Pandya

8)Jadeja

9)Bhuvi

10)Shami

11)Bumrah

So you expect batsmen to blast away right from the start after being 4 for 3. It was due to Dhoni's efforts we came so close to winning the first match. I am 100% sure we would have won the first match as well had wrong decision been not made against Dhoni

Just now, DHONI_FANN said:

So you expect batsmen to blast away right from the start after being 4 for 3. It was due to Dhoni's efforts we came so close to winning the first match. I am 100% sure we would have won the first match as well had wrong decision been not made against Dhoni

I am not sure we are going to have anything but less than 320+ totals in WC cup where Dhoni would be absolute liability as no 4 or tbh anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Pollack said:

I am not sure we are going to have anything but less than 320+ totals in WC cup where Dhoni would be absolute liability as no 4 or tbh anywhere.

You have to take into account playing conditions. 230 on this pitch was equivalent to 300-320 on any other flat batting deck. Not to forget slow outfield and overcast condition

20 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

1)Dhawan

2)Rohit

3)Kohli

4)Dhoni

5)Karthik

6)Jadhav

7)Pandya

8)Jadeja

9)Bhuvi

10)Shami

11)Bumrah

That is a horrible middle order.Jadeja makes for a toothless bowler.

15 man team -

dhawan

rohit

kohli

gill

dhoni

kedar

pandya

bhuvi

chahal

kuldeep

bumrah

shami

jadeja

pant

rahul/kartik

6 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Take that team and put it in your Dil.Both wristys are needed over that phoney Jadeja, irrespective of how Dhoni bats.

Actually I am not very convinced about Jadeja and not a fan. I just feel on absolute flat tracks against good teams where 350 is par (like it will be in the WC), KulCha won't be that much of a step up and Jaddu's (potential) quick 25 odd at the end could prove vital.

6 minutes ago, Tendulkar1996 said:

That is a horrible middle order.Jadeja makes for a toothless bowler.

15 man team -

dhawan

rohit

kohli

gill

dhoni

kedar

pandya

bhuvi

chahal

kuldeep

bumrah

shami

jadeja

pant

rahul/kartik

I agree with you that it is not the ideal middle order, but what choice do we have? The team I posted is the most realistic in terms of what we will get. There's no chance that Gill will make the 11 for the WC barring exceptional circumstances. Otherwise I would rather have Pant over Dhoni/DK.

Edited by Dil Dil India
1 minute ago, Dil Dil India said:

Actually I am not very convinced about Jadeja and not a fan. I just feel on absolute flat tracks against good teams where 350 is par (like it will be in the WC), KulCha won't be that much of a step up and Jaddu's (potential) quick 25 odd at the end could prove vital.

I think 10 over 65 runs 3 wickets is better than  no wickets and pathetic batting lower down.Wristys are lifeline to the captain.Jadeja is a proven failure apart from CT 2013.

3 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

In 10 years, how many times has jadeja actually gotten us quick 25 runs when we needed?

2 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

For belters  where 350 will be par, I doubt if Jadeja will get batting . His utility is when their is a middle-order collapse and that can happen in grounds which offer little bit to bowling : pace or spin .

1 minute ago, SK_IH said:

I think 10 over 65 runs 3 wickets is better than  no wickets and pathetic batting lower down.Wristys are lifeline to the captain.Jadeja is a proven failure apart from CT 2013.

I see your point and partially agree; if only either of Kulcha could bat even a little bit, it would be a very easy choice.

3 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

In 10 years, how many times has jadeja actually gotten us quick 25 runs when we needed?

He has good numbers to be fair especially in England (averages 70 odd with the bat and 27 with the ball). Like I said, I am not a fan and his run out of Pandya in CT 17 still pisses me off, but given the duds we have in the middle order (thank God that Rayudu is gone), even a quickfire 20 at the end may prove vital.