New generation indian kids are not that crazy about cricket?

gakgupta

i think as a society social media and internet is throwing up challenges. with so short an attention span how can sports or key professions thrive. think about professions like doctors. i am thinking very few will put in the grunt yards as compared to older generations and how that will impact quality, time can only tell..

this will be a video game generation.. so sports will need to be dominated by aspirational children who have less mobile phone and internet exposure...

17 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

Thats the weird part isnt it ,hanging around in a cricket forum when you find it boring .

i think the discussions here make up for more fun than the action on the field..:om:

and i think if you notice the posters most of them would be the 80s and 90s generation for whom cricket was the only sport. so this forum gives a outlet towards engaging in meaningful conversation because you are not able to really converse with other fans near you because cricket as a sport has diluted and very limited fanbase .. just ask the current generation of impactful ODis or stats or cannot miss shots/ deliveries in recent past.  we can talk about jadeja six of waqar or kanitkar 4 off saqlain, chauhan six, sachin six off caddick, sachin delivery to moeen,prasad delivery to sohail... that should give an indication of how eventful the sport is for fans. 

the fact that people commenting here does not imply that the cricket is entertaining. its just a means for people to find common ground with indian fans across the globe.. once time becomes a constraint for the posters here, they will also dissappear.. will the next gen fill up the void.. time will tell..

Here is my two cents to this. (This is just an assumption - correct me if am wrong). Back in the days, to pass time, you would go out to play with your friends and enjoy. Cricket being popular, it was something that was played heavily. To make cricket into a profession, you need to invest alot of time to even play a single match. Today, kids have so much technologies to play with. Unless they are very passionate, they would stay in and play video games and other means of entertainment. I can understand why they would start picking up Kabaddi, doest not take forever to finish one match. It's a fast moving pace generation, can't blame them. 

On 2/9/2019 at 7:34 PM, gakgupta said:

Well...

This is what I am seeing.

When I was a kid, kids used to get crazy about cricket. But now, I feel kids are not that crazy. Is this just in Hyderabad or everywhere else?

My son likes kabbadi....I have seen few of my cousin kids like football..

Seem like in next 10 years there will be lot of change in indian sports in terms of interest...

Btw, how successfully is ISL, pro kabbadi and other leagues of India?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Tapatalk

Lol Hyderabad is probably way better than Bangalore in that regard. The cool kids all prefer soccer. And has been so for a long time now. Cricket is simply not as popular as it used to be. 

9 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Lol Hyderabad is probably way better than Bangalore in that regard. The cool kids all prefer soccer. And has been so for a long time now. Cricket is simply not as popular as it used to be. 

As you are talking about popularity, i remember those days where ODI matches used to start @ 9:15 / @ 9:30AM.

As I wake up @ 7AM, i just used to wait for the match to start. I used to count every min and restlessly/desperately wait for 9:30 AM. Those 2 hrs looked like 20 hours or so. 

Inspite of all that, India used to invariably loose. Srilanka and Pakistan were much stronger.

10 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

You are right about Bangalore. Lot of kids in my apartment play soccer, hardly see anyone play cricket. 

1 hour ago, gakgupta said:

As you are talking about popularity, i remember those days where ODI matches used to start @ 9:15 / @ 9:30AM.

As I wake up @ 7AM, i just used to wait for the match to start. I used to count every min and restlessly/desperately wait for 9:30 AM. Those 2 hrs looked like 20 hours or so. 

Inspite of all that, India used to invariably loose. Srilanka and Pakistan were much stronger.

Don't ODIs and tests in India still start at 9:00 or 9:30?  But yes those I used to get restless before any match against PAK - pepsi cup, coca - cola cup etc. etc. Now it's only during the CWC thstvi get that same feeling. 

Just now, Nikhil_cric said:

Yep. Back in the day, in the apartments I grew up in we used to play cricket all the time . And this was true in every neighbourhood. Don't see that kind of interest now. 

Which is a good thing, anyone who's grown up in the 90's will know that cricket is irreplaceable in India's history, growth as a nation or towards a more sporting culture. Cricket will always be numero Uno but with other sporting leagues in India people can now enjoy more variety of sports & in some cases make a living or career out of them. Cricket helped the TV boom in India, also the TV in turn helped grow other sports.

4 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Which is a good thing, anyone who's grown up in the 90's will know that cricket is irreplaceable in India's history, growth as a nation or towards a more sporting culture. Cricket will always be numero Uno but with other sporting leagues in India people can now enjoy more variety of sports & in some cases make a living or career out of them. Cricket helped the TV boom in India, also the TV in turn helped grow other sports.

Yeah true. Can't disagree with any of that. 

7 hours ago, Stradlater said:

Millennials are those who were born in 80s and and afterwards.

Unless you are a fat Indian Uncle like your Hero , you are a millennial.

I thought millenials are born after “2000” millennium  get it.

If what you are saying is true that is a very specific timeframe of 80 :laugh: and since I qualify as a millennial  I am happy to feel younger :yay: 

Edited by maniac

In Delhi, more middleclass kids play soccer (not posers or anything, they play) , cricket also they play but less than before...more poorer kids/men Play cricket, some poorer people play Gilli danda also... kabaddi, not played by many in ncr

Edited by randomGuy