Publications to ignore

diga

3 hours ago, maniac said:

Since when has journalism become about perspectives and opinions? 

Rhetoric question don't answer that.

Obviously media these days picks sides. So the argument  that a media house has a “differing opinion” doesn’t count.

Well some of the publications mentioned by OP actually do provide quality journalism.  Do they have editorial slants and biases? Probably.  But this also means that they are willing to report on issues and stories that other 'pro-xyz' would rather not.  By 'ignoring' certain media sources "cuz they are biaas" is silly.  This is what the majority of fat Americans that rely solely on Fox news say and do.  You know, the tribe of fools who believe Trump's "no collusion" bullshit.  Curiously, the very same "conservatives" (Indian version) who often mock Americans for such idiocy, appear to be mirroring them in said idiocy.  

I'm a fiscal and social conservative myself.  Especially in the Indian context.  But when you start talking in the fashion that OP is, it leads to groupthink and stupidity - i.e. frog in the well syndrome.  This is especially the case in today's 'information' age - consumers have the power to do such filtering, and end up trapping themselves in echo chambers that re-inforce their confirmation biases.  A logical person should make an overt effort to avoid such traps.  But here we have a "smart" guy trumpeting his desire to trap himself in an echo chamber.  

And you have acumen-ists agreeing with them.  I guess, To each his own. 

Edited by sandeep

21 minutes ago, Clarke said:

I would say it's imp not to develop an echo chamber around yourself in these divided times. One should listen to the other side ever so often, by that I mean the left or right and not extreme cuckoos who survive on conspiracy theories.

People having their own voice and different views is democracy.

Media doing the same is agenda.

2 different things

Edited by maniac

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Well some of the publications mentioned by OP actually do provide quality journalism.  Do they have editorial slants and biases? Probably.  But this also means that they are willing to report on issues and stories that other 'pro-xyz' would rather not.  By 'ignoring' certain media sources "cuz they are biaas" is silly.  This is what the majority of fat Americans that rely solely on Fox news say and do.  You know, the tribe of fools who believe Trump's "no collusion" bullshit.  Curiously, the very same "conservatives" (Indian version) who often mock Americans for such idiocy, appear to be mirroring them in said idiocy.  

I'm a fiscal and social conservative myself.  Especially in the Indian context.  But when you start talking in the fashion that OP is, it leads to groupthink and stupidity - i.e. frog in the well syndrome.  This is especially the case in today's 'information' age - consumers have the power to do such filtering, and end up trapping themselves in echo chambers that re-inforce their confirmation biases.  A logical person should make an overt effort to avoid such traps.  But here we have a "smart" guy trumpeting his desire to trap himself in an echo chamber.  

And you have acumen-ists agreeing with them.  I guess, To each his own. 

I am no fan of trump or bush jr but the media does go overboard with agenda.

I remember a clip of bush jr where he failed to open a door because it  was stuck, the media played the clip over and over mocking him. This was not Jon Stewart or Colbert show but actual “credible” news channel. This was highlighted just to prove a point. Now bush jr might not be the greatest administrator but that is uncalled for. Just an example here. 

The other extreme are so called “political commentators”  like Hannity or Limbaugh I find them equally unbearable.

I am talking about unbiased good old  reporting. Is that too much to ask for. 

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

How about we flip this thread around?

How about folks chime in with what sources of "news" they do use?  

As Mulo said, all my feed is from LeLi, I want to know what they write and I want to shame them when debating with others (say in a party or discussion). I don't read or follow RW kattars like Sudarshan news or Shankhnaad types. But follow Swarajya, OpIndia, DNA, FirstPost, thePrint.

The only ones I unfollowed were theWire, quint, NLaundry, I don't read OpEds from BDutt, Sagarike. Rana Ayuub,, Saba, Sherwani, Rajdeeep, in general, because I know what they say and they are very very predictable. I don't learn any gyaan from them. Man Joseph is one guy I like since not because he is turning out to be a turncoat towards right of center, but he is honest. I read RW leaning ones from Hindol Sengupta, Makaran Paranjpe, Swapan Dasgupta, Kanchan Gupta, Sanjeev Sanyal, Bibek Debroy. Koenraad Elst, David Frawley etc. Never dabbled with Western LeLi thinkers, doesn't indulge me as much as Indian ones.

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

I am talking about unbiased good old  reporting. Is that too much to ask for. 

Yes it is.  People, and organizations respond to incentives. i.e. money.  The demand for 'good old-fashioned' reporting is miniscule.  Eyeballs pay for "listicles" and a repetition and affirmation of their own beliefs.  Actual unbiased journalism has been replaced with a pretence of getting same number of quotes from "both sides".  TOI is a classic example of what, once was a decent newspaper, but has turned into a media powerhouse, and left journalism way behind.  

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Man Joseph is one guy I like

I've read some abject trash from him, surprised to see this from you.  Even I felt disgusted and angered by some of the crap he was writing.  India-bashing, repitition of tropes and stereotypes from 60 years ago etc.

9 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I've read some abject trash from him, surprised to see this from you.  Even I felt disgusted and angered by some of the crap he was writing.  India-bashing, repitition of tropes and stereotypes from 60 years ago etc.

He used to be in OpenTheMagazine (now, that is good one to read) and the guy from Radia Tapes who confronted Barkha Dutt. He turned into a novelist , which I am yet to read, but I am talking about his political views, he is not very PC. Hence, my like, he seems to be straightforward..

11 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

He used to be in OpenTheMagazine (now, that is good one to read) and the guy from Radia Tapes who confronted Barkha Dutt. He turned into a novelist , which I am yet to read, but I am talking about his political views, he is not very PC. Hence, my like, he seems to be straightforward..

I read a couple of his pieces in NYT and was pissed off.  To the point of almost writing a letter to the editor. They were very "Pankaj Mishra" - **** on India to show how modern and progressive I am - that type of stuff.

42 minutes ago, sandeep said:

How about we flip this thread around?

How about folks chime in with what sources of "news" they do use?  

Made a thread about that a while back, feel free to chime in.

Since then (Dec 2017) I have stopped subscription of 'Nat Geo', 'Down To Earth' and  'The Week' mainly because of time constraints. Renewed Sportstar after a hiatus. There are some research/engineering related magazines in my department but that comes under academics and not time pass.

Right now:

The Hindu (not regular as previously)

Sportstar

Sanctuary Asia (highly recommend it to y'all...India's best nature/wildlife magazine, reasonable price as well, 6 issues per year)

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

https://thewire.in/rights/rti-activist-son-gujarat-killed

I'm not familiar with "The wire", apparently its being accused of bias on this thread.  Just read this article.  Any folks want to chime in on its veracity?

I am sure most part of it would be true. Issue I have with likes of wire is they only pick stories which fit their agenda and add flavor on top it. 

On 5/22/2019 at 5:05 PM, Gollum said:

Let us not limit to publications here. 

The Hindu and IE are LW but I do read them to get an idea about how the enemy thinks, especially the former. Print has some fine writers like Snehesh Alex Philip. Even NDTV is ok when Gargi Rawat is doing a show cos she is undeniably cute. Last I checked Open got more readable post sacking of Khalistani mofo Bal. 

I avoid:

Frontline (total anti-India line post 2014)

EPW

Caravan

Outlook

The Week

Tehelka

TOI (not cos of ideology, it really is a shitty paper)

Telegraph 

Scroll

The Wire

BBC

NY Times

Guardian

Al Jazeera

Washington Post

National Herald

Janta Ka Reporter

Islamic mouthpieces like Milli Gazzette, Greater Kashmir, Rising Kashmir, Siasat Daily

Pak sources except a few sane voices like Naila Inayat, Hassan Nisar

Reddit India

The Quint

Then the usual LW/Congress propaganda YT channels like NL, Rathee, Kamra etc...most people may be aware of them. In fact there I consciously try to avoid politics, be it RW/LW....YT is for education, pranks, entertainment, animals, sports etc. 

dare i add Scroll.in