Ravi Jadeja's role in the side?

SK_IH

43 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Jadeja has to play the role of poor man's Ben Stokes in this lineup to lend balance to the side. He is a liability in the side both as a no 7 batsman or as a lone spinner. 

Nope, Stokes is now England's no. 5 and he is bowling less. So he is more like a batting allrounder. Anyway he's an exceptional talent, so unfair to compare Jadeja with him. Jadeja's peers are Moeen, Santner, Agar, Phelukawayo, Imad wasim...and he stacks up ok, if u consider he's the best fielder of this lot.

12 hours ago, SK_IH said:

I would say Jadeja as a overall package is a very good cricketer to have in your side. However his batting at no.7 is redundant and is detrimental to his own side than opposition lol. I would say India can play following side in future.

Rohit

Rahul

Virat

Iyer

Jadeja

Pant

Pandya

Kuldeep

Saini

Shami

Bumrah

Jadeja has to show how the fcuk he scored those triples in first class cricket now in intl cricket.

First class is not ODI cricket. He is averaging 45 in test cricket in last 3-4 years. He is a good 4-5 day batsman, not that good at hitting.

I would not take today's performance as pitch was griping and there was turn . 

His problem is SENA where power hitters just line up and hammer him as most of balls dot do anything , no dry pitches and he has to dart. . 

Foe such conditions he needs to find some good defensive options . One could be a yorker kind of delivery which just dips & lands on  batting crease something Santner does and one Irish guy does it well -Dockrell i think.   

21 hours ago, Cricspin said:

The main weakness for Jadeja is he is not a striker/power game player. He can score at a good clip, run well between the wickets and he definitely can bat. He also can clear the ground but needs to settle down first.

However, I believe he provides lot of options and flexibility to the ODI side and must play even with Pandya back.  I do not really think he should be in T20 side unless we are screwed for options.

Jadeja For ODI.

----------

1. Can bowl his 10 overs on most occasions. So he is not a 6th bowler and on his day can be the top 2.

2. He goes through his overs quickly. This helps over rate and if things are tight builds pressure on.

3. He is not an attacking wicket taker but he is mostly economical. This has its use in ODI setup. His career economy rate is below 5 which is excellent in this day and age.

3. He is an exceptional fielder. Saves runs and affects runouts.

4. He can Bat properly. Score at occasional 50 or hold one end with another batsman if wickets go down. He has improved with the bat in recent years both in tests and ODI.

* This series he completed his 10 overs against Australia in all 3 games.. 30 overs 143 runs at 4.76 and captured 4 wickets.

* Batted for 2 inn - 45 off 48 balls.  not super bad specially given the first match no one really blasted off .. SR or 76 and 125 in those two inn... 

I dare say he is better useful allrounder than Pandya is except for the power hitting that Pandya has. I would play both of them as all round cricketers in ODI matches. We are behaving as if we are overflowing in quality all rounders who can just come in and grab their spots.  Dube, Kedar and all these types don't bowl at all or bowl occasionally reducing their utility for no.6 and 7 spots. I definitely prefer Jadeja over them in ODI.

Once can only pen 5-6 names in certainty at this time for an ODI. The others positions are still up for grabs. Unless someone really gives consistency and confidence not matter how much people dislike certain player, they will keep playing or coming back.

Certain Names - Rohit, Kohli, Bumrah, Wicketkeeper

Almost there/should be Certain - Dhawan, Rahul.. I will Put Jadeja, Pandya here 

Potential but have not cemented their spots yet  - Pant, Iyer, Saini, Kuldeep, Chahal  

In the loop - Bhubaneswar, Shami, Thakur, Chahar

Do away with - Manish, Kedar.

There are more names doing the round.. My point is there is dissatisfaction and not that certain feelings about most players except the first 3 names. So everyone can stake claim and will keep getting chances if they can perform.

Very well put.Jadeja is not must in any Indian team in shorter formats if we find someone better, that someone better has so many avenues to showcase their talents.

On 1/17/2020 at 11:38 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

he shud be in 2023 plans as its in India and pitches tend to turn in 2nd half of tournament which is where he becomes dangerous. He only bats well when he has time so ill have him at 6. With pandya coming from injury he might take time to get back with his bowling.

this ...... He should bat higher than 7th position. He needs time to settle in. 

On 1/17/2020 at 11:49 PM, SK_IH said:

Jadeja has to play the role of poor man's Ben Stokes in this lineup to lend balance to the side. He is a liability in the side both as a no 7 batsman or as a lone spinner. 

Poor man's Ben Stokes? Jaddu is not even bhikariyon ka Ben Stokes! He is the biggest beneficiary of Kohli's inexplicable U-Turn on not picking wrist spinners. His fielding is awesome, so TM might think he is worth a spot for that alone. 

5 minutes ago, nevada said:

Poor man's Ben Stokes? Jaddu is not even bhikariyon ka Ben Stokes! He is the biggest beneficiary of Kohli's inexplicable U-Turn on not picking wrist spinners. His fielding is awesome, so TM might think he is worth a spot for that alone. 

It's quite obvious why Kohli picks him. He does not want a long tail.

13 minutes ago, nevada said:

stop thinking about stokes

there is only one stokes in the world, other teams dont stop selecting player just becoz they have no stokes , kohli, starc, bumrah

u have to play the best u have ....

to jadeja credit he has won us 2013 CT if stokes has won 2019 WC

jadeja has been a fraud with bat but also becoz he was batting at wrong place for years