Bollywood=cesspool

FischerTal

17 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@EnterTheVoid

@coffee_rules

We are in agreement over here, re: the 'rap' video. 

I also agree that Bollywood movies tend to mock certain aspects of Indian culture at times for comedic purposes. Does it offend me? Not really. But I can understand if someone is offended.

But let's be clear about two things here:

1) A Bollywood movie is not going to be *abusive* towards any religion/political thought simply because of the back lash and  the resulting loss of income. Even a movie like 'chapaak' which was high lighting a social cause got 'cancelled' based on utter rumours about the name of the perpetrator of the acid attack. Resulting in a huge loss of revenue, a good % of which the producers pledged to acid attack victims. 

Do you really think Bollywood could get away with abuse?

It's unfair to attribute the contents of this 'rap' segment to Bollywood. This has *nothing* to do with Gullyboy.

2) I have an issue with the contents of that twitter handle. That there is a conspiracy among Muslims in Bollywood to denigrate Hinduism and eat at the social fabric of India is laughable. Many of the writers who are constantly questioned, come from established traditions of literary work and have nothing to do with the business part of the movies.

I have grown up binge-ing on a rather unhealthy diet of Bollywood movies right from the mid 90s and I have not once felt offended by anything that I saw. Neither did I find anything that followers of any particular faith would find offensive.

All these Bhaiwood/Dawoodwood allegations are cringeworthy. This is not the 90s. The Johars,the Chopras and their ilk have far more economic clout today than the likes of Dawood. So much so that during the April semi lockdown the Uddhav Thackeray govt allowed film shoots only. Until there were corona cases and these had to be stopped. Let's be real. The days when the film industry needed an underworld don to dispense instant justice are over. These dons are left doing 'dus ka teen' outside their single screens while music/tv  rights of very poor quality movies rake in the millions.

each n every word u wrote is bang on true 

On 5/29/2021 at 3:58 PM, Mariyam said:

@EnterTheVoid

@coffee_rules

1) A Bollywood movie is not going to be *abusive* towards any religion/political thought simply because of the back lash and  the resulting loss of income. Even a movie like 'chapaak' which was high lighting a social cause got 'cancelled' based on utter rumours about the name of the perpetrator of the acid attack. Resulting in a huge loss of revenue, a good % of which the producers pledged to acid attack victims. 

The rap video is more to do with such kids looking at west fads like rap battles insulting each other on superficial looks or abusing family members, which Gully Boy didn’t have. So, let’s ignore the rap culture of Ultra Urban India for now.

Just like politics, society is highly polarized, if not as polarized, at least a major portion of people are aware of how it is not a level playing field anymore. The tolerance can’t last more than 50 years. 

Earlier intolerance was from only one side, can be seen on both now. A song with ‘Mustafa’ had to be changed to ‘Dilruba’ in Aatish. Talk of movies from 50s till a movie like Sarfarosh. They would not hurt Muslim sentiments and not name even Pakistan in many movies, it was called dushman mulk. Showing Muslims as devout characters, while many Amitabh chars were nastiks, there is a movie with that title to boot.

When PK was released, nobody got offended, it was a big hit. In recent times, there will be a campaign that would bring about the fact that Shivji was insulted in the movie. Hence a movie like Chapaak got impacted with such campaigns. Bollywood always gets away showing Hindus in a bad way with subtlety. You will not notice it or even get offended, only those seeing from all these years could relate to it.

2) I have an issue with the contents of that twitter handle. That there is a conspiracy among Muslims in Bollywood to denigrate Hinduism and eat at the social fabric of India is laughable. Many of the writers who are constantly questioned, come from established traditions of literary work and have nothing to do with the business part of the movies.

I have grown up binge-ing on a rather unhealthy diet of Bollywood movies right from the mid 90s and I have not once felt offended by anything that I saw. Neither did I find anything that followers of any particular faith would find offensive.

All these Bhaiwood/Dawoodwood allegations are cringeworthy. This is not the 90s. The Johars,the Chopras and their ilk have far more economic clout today than the likes of Dawood. So much so that during the April semi lockdown the Uddhav Thackeray govt allowed film shoots only. Until there were corona cases and these had to be stopped. Let's be real. The days when the film industry needed an underworld don to dispense instant justice are over. These dons are left doing 'dus ka teen' outside their single screens while music/tv  rights of very poor quality movies rake in the millions.

Agree on the part that there would be a hidden agenda of Muslim writers in Bollywood to show Hindus in a bad way, largely. But, regarding that twitter handle, there are a couple of such movies in the 70s that they show such scenes that validates their CT on all movies. Movie like "Ganga ki Saugandh" is the best example of such CT. They show Hindus bad, Muslims good, in a blatant way. I don’t know how that movie got released. Show me a movie similar to that movie where they show Muslims as that bad and Hindus super good, I will accept it as artistic freedom and FoE example. 

But the noticeable part in most well-known/hit movies, is there would be a myriad of Hindu characters of all hues, but they would show Muslim characters in a stereotypical way. They would always evoke sympathy , they would be sacrificed in the end, for the hero etc. Muslims sub-heroes will be valiant to stop fighting when azaan is heard. That still goes around now, but thanks to Sarfarosh, terrorists will be mainly Afghan sounding names!

I sometimes get an idea of watching most famous movies to validate this stereotyping, but it is mostly seen in Salim-Javed’s writings. I don’t believe that they would engineer it, but they can’t do such stereotyping in these times, they must have done to capture commercial interests as are some of the Hindutva movies like Tanhaji. It should be actually Tanyaji  true to its ethos. 

Edited by coffee_rules

On 6/1/2021 at 8:58 AM, coffee_rules said:

The rap video is more to do with such kids looking at west fads like rap battles insulting each other on superficial looks or abusing family members, which Gully Boy didn’t have. So, let’s ignore the rap culture of Ultra Urban India for now.

Just like politics, society is highly polarized, if not as polarized, at least a major portion of people are aware of how it is not a level playing field anymore. The tolerance can’t last more than 50 years. 

Earlier intolerance was from only one side, can be seen on both now. A song with ‘Mustafa’ had to be changed to ‘Dilruba’ in Aatish. Talk of movies from 50s till a movie like Sarfarosh. They would not hurt Muslim sentiments and not name even Pakistan in many movies, it was called dushman mulk. Showing Muslims as devout characters, while many Amitabh chars were nastiks, there is a movie with that title to boot.

When PK was released, nobody got offended, it was a big hit. In recent times, there will be a campaign that would bring about the fact that Shivji was insulted in the movie. Hence a movie like Chapaak got impacted with such campaigns. Bollywood always gets away showing Hindus in a bad way with subtlety. You will not notice it or even get offended, only those seeing from all these years could relate to it.

Agree on the part that there would be a hidden agenda of Muslim writers in Bollywood to show Hindus in a bad way, largely. But, regarding that twitter handle, there are a couple of such movies in the 70s that they show such scenes that validates their CT on all movies. Movie like "Ganga ki Saugandh" is the best example of such CT. They show Hindus bad, Muslims good, in a blatant way. I don’t know how that movie got released. Show me a movie similar to that movie where they show Muslims as that bad and Hindus super good, I will accept it as artistic freedom and FoE example. 

But the noticeable part in most well-known/hit movies, is there would be a myriad of Hindu characters of all hues, but they would show Muslim characters in a stereotypical way. They would always evoke sympathy , they would be sacrificed in the end, for the hero etc. Muslims sub-heroes will be valiant to stop fighting when azaan is heard. That still goes around now, but thanks to Sarfarosh, terrorists will be mainly Afghan sounding names!

I sometimes get an idea of watching most famous movies to validate this stereotyping, but it is mostly seen in Salim-Javed’s writings. I don’t believe that they would engineer it, but they can’t do such stereotyping in these times, they must have done to capture commercial interests as are some of the Hindutva movies like Tanhaji. It should be actually Tanyaji  true to its ethos. 

Urduwood is **** movies made by people with **** in their brain basically regurgitated ****. 

On 5/30/2021 at 1:28 AM, Mariyam said:

@EnterTheVoid

@coffee_rules

We are in agreement over here, re: the 'rap' video. 

I also agree that Bollywood movies tend to mock certain aspects of Indian culture at times for comedic purposes. Does it offend me? Not really. But I can understand if someone is offended.

But let's be clear about two things here:

It's unfair to attribute the contents of this 'rap' segment to Bollywood. This has *nothing* to do with Gullyboy.

90s bollywood is a lot better than the trash that came on the scene in the start of 00s. Iconic govinda movies and classics like HAHK, DDLJ and KKHH. KKHH is the last hindi movie I saw as a regular bollywood movie goer. I've watched some movies here and there because of my friends circle in the US but there was no interest from my side. 00s started the trend of poor storylines accompanied by more raunch. Looked very cheap, sleazy and tacky. I guess johar is the main reason for the decline in bollywood. anyway I have a poor opinion on movie industry people. the blatant sleaze just confirms my opinion. my muslim friend doesn't consider the bollywood muslims as muslims because they marry hindus within their industry and drink alcohol :cantstop: I guess its better to call them liberals than bhaiwood

Disagree with you on the quality of movies @Real McCoy. Masala movies - yes have become pathetic now compared to the 90s.

There are lots of really good movies that were created in the 00s and 10s. I think there is a thread of non-masala movies that should yield a lot of titles. In fact I would say that the Indian movie industry in general has moved forward in leaps and bounds since the 90s where you would only find masala movies. 

17 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Total lack of coordination in holding hands and he is divorcing her because of her selective mutism.

I am still wondering what is it that is irking people about this story. Trads are talking of love jehad. really ! 

In my mind, I am beginning to fear the team that I am supposed to be playing for. 

7 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

90s bollywood is a lot better than the trash that came on the scene in the start of 00s. Iconic govinda movies and classics like HAHK, DDLJ and KKHH. KKHH is the last hindi movie I saw as a regular bollywood movie goer. I've watched some movies here and there because of my friends circle in the US but there was no interest from my side. 00s started the trend of poor storylines accompanied by more raunch. Looked very cheap, sleazy and tacky. I guess johar is the main reason for the decline in bollywood. anyway I have a poor opinion on movie industry people. the blatant sleaze just confirms my opinion. my muslim friend doesn't consider the bollywood muslims as muslims because they marry hindus within their industry and drink alcohol :cantstop: I guess its better to call them liberals than bhaiwood

I have not watched those 90s cringeworthy, corny movies lol I like the current small town movies. Lot of them are unoriginal. About sleaziness, all movies industries int he world is all about sleaziness. Look at Harvey weinstein. He has abused some A list actresses. It is better just not to give a sh** about their personal life. 

6 hours ago, bharathh said:

Disagree with you on the quality of movies @Real McCoy. Masala movies - yes have become pathetic now compared to the 90s.

There are lots of really good movies that were created in the 00s and 10s. I think there is a thread of non-masala movies that should yield a lot of titles. In fact I would say that the Indian movie industry in general has moved forward in leaps and bounds since the 90s where you would only find masala movies. 

I watch bollywood movies more than ever.  But not the A list star movies. Mostly small town movies

19 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

I watch bollywood movies more than ever.  But not the A list star movies. Mostly small town movies

What is a small town movie? 

The plot line is based on life in a small town or one which is produced in a small town/indie/stand alone production house?

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

What is a small town movie? 

The plot line is based on life in a small town or one which is produced in a small town/indie/stand alone production house?

Plot. It can be an Akahsy kumar movie as well. But i more often see Rajkummar rao or Ayushman khurana in such movies than others.  An old rustic house, a dysfuntional family , funny friends. Stree is definitely one of my favorite.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:03 AM, ravishingravi said:

I am still wondering what is it that is irking people about this story. Trads are talking of love jehad. really ! 

In my mind, I am beginning to fear the team that I am supposed to be playing for. 

SM is a circus to have any organized viewpoint to base your ideas. You should be in the team that you think is right. A lot of RWers are absolutely unfollowable. Regarding AK, he was doing OK with SM and following even with all LJ taunts as his opinions seemed to be balanced and non-star like. It all changed since 3Idiots and during PK and SMJ days he became a polarizing figure. People have started to call him out since then. Once you are political, your exposure is exponential and people will call out your biases. Once the intolerance debate came about and he picked sides telling some fairy tale about Kiran Rao being insecure in India and was thinking of moving out, the human excreta hit the fan. He turned out to be another hypocrite star talking nonsense and fukk of fakery People largely hate him now on SM and they are rejoicing his downfall. Raja bhi neeche utarke aana padta hain. 

On 10/19/2020 at 7:11 AM, coffee_rules said:

rehne do. Sach kadwa hota hain. Focus on a small error and disregard the big message, Ok,  fine,  AK is not responsible for QSQT content. But, he is as a big star for PK. He can control the content, but it is too much to expect.   I just want to hear a clear feedback on Kufr. Isn’t it a bad thing to propagate for India?

Sorry, I seemed to have missed this earlier.

What feedback on kufr? Aamir Khan is propagating hate towards kufr in his movies?

What am I missing here?

3 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Sorry, I seemed to have missed this earlier.

What feedback on kufr? Aamir Khan is propagating hate towards kufr in his movies?

What am I missing here?

Have to go back to check what was AL’s connection  .. maybe it was about that handle’s content, not generally about AK. Kaffir, kufr, is considered hate words. But they claim Bollywood writers generally normalize these words in songs.