Eternal Marvel of the world of music - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

randomGuy

I had created a thread about him once.

He was truly a once in a millennium kind of singer. Amazing composer, and he possessed one of the best vocal ranges known. Easily one of the best singers from the Sub-continent. Truly a pioneer of world music in the 80s and 90s. He had died way too early,(at the age of 48), had he lived till now, he could've achieved so much more. He was also one of the most like able pakistani's. From reports and accounts of people who knew him, he was very humble and down to earth, donating his earnings to the public and charity etc.

His best songs are:

Sanu ik pal chain na aave

Yeh Jo halka halka suroor

Akhiyan Udeek Diyan

Allah Hoo

Tum ek gorakh danda

Tere bin nahi lagda

Afreen Afreen

Nit Khair Manga

Sanson ki mala pe

Man ki lagan(though he never got a chance to sing it)

Edited by I6MTW

11 hours ago, I6MTW said:

I had created a thread about him once.

He was truly a once in a millennium kind of singer. Amazing composer, and he possessed one of the best vocal ranges known. Easily one of the best singers from the Sub-continent. Truly a pioneer of world music in the 80s and 90s. He had died way too early,(at the age of 48), had he lived till now, he could've achieved so much more. He was also one of the most like able pakistani's. From reports and accounts of people who knew him, he was very humble and down to earth, donating his earnings to the public and charity etc.

His best songs are:

Sanu ik pal chain na aave

Yeh Jo halka halka suroor

Akhiyan Udeek Diyan

Allah Hoo

Tum ek gorakh danda

Tere bin nahi lagda

Afreen Afreen

Nit Khair Manga

Sanson ki mala pe

Man ki lagan(though he never got a chance to sing it)

On the female side, Nazia Hassan was the best female pakistani singer in those decades. She too died early. 

Dil ke lagi from Nazia Hassan sounds gold. 

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

On the female side, Nazia Hassan was the best female pakistani singer in those decades. She too died early. 

Dil ke lagi from Nazia Hassan sounds gold. 

Nazia Hassan was good. But again different genres. Plus NFAK voice range was something else, his world fusion music was a rage in the 90s, his collaborations with Michael Brook, Peter Gabriel, Jeff Buckley etc. But, I can see how Nazia Hassan was influential, practically introducing pop music into the sub continent in the 80s.

1 hour ago, punjabi_khota said:

Story of every 90s kid getting introduced to the maestro: Came for lisa ray, stayed for the damn good music.

Ah Afreen Afreen. Lyrics and music were amazing. Even though the Coke studio version is more modern, with better sound quality and instruments, the nuances, and touch by NFAK was better. If he had been alive today, he would've done something amazing in the Coke studio version.

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Ran this on repeat mode, for an hour. Of course a bit tipsy. But he is amazing singer. Hindustani uske nas nas mein hain. 

Very good composition. Much better than the bollywood remix that released a few years ago.

Overall his best works were:

Mere Rashke Qamar

Akhiyan Udeek Diyan

Sanu Ik Pal Chain

Allah Hoo

Tere bin Nahi Lagda

Afreen Afreen

Yeh Jo Halka Halka

Tum Ek Gorakh Danda Ho

Aag Daman Mein Lag

The fusion works of Nusrat and Michael Brooks and Peter Gabriel.

Man Ki Lagan which introduced Rahat Fateh Ali Khan to bollywood, was Nusrat's composition, he composed it before he died but never got a chance to sing it.

Nusrat Ali minus the Bally Sagoo or whoever did those remixes is an acquired taste.

Also we have guys like Bhimsen Joshi, Bala Murali etc etc but obviously it’s apparently not as cool to be a connoisseur of them because Bollywood morons go gaga over Nusrat Ali and his kids and have a hardon for anything Pakistan .

He was a great musician though don’t get me wrong but little over publicized.

Edited by maniac

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Nusrat Ali minus the Bally Sagoo or whoever did those remixes is an acquired taste.

Also we have guys like Bhimsen Joshi, Bala Murali etc etc but obviously it’s apparently not as cool to be a connoisseur of them because Bollywood morons go gaga over Nusrat Ali and his kids and have a hardon for anything Pakistan .

Well Nusrat became well known because his songs were always copied without his permission. Plus the genre he sang was probably more appealing to the masses or common audience .

Bhimsen and Bala Murali were not for the masses or common audience, because of the length of the performance was usually at least 30 mins- a couple of hours. Not to say Nusrat was any different, but at least for his performances there were shortened versions of 10 mins, which would even be considered long by today's generation.

Bhimsen , Bala Murali Krishnan, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan were all classical stalwarts, Nusrat was also similar in classical abilities and vocal range, it's just that his style(qawwali and sufi music) wasn't purely classical, with sargams and alaaps ranging for longer periods. But there was no doubt he could sing in a purely classical manner, as seen in some of his videos on YouTube where he gave classical performances in front of other hindustani musicians, though the video quality is poor.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

So true. I had forgotten Bally Sagoo totally. NFAK is a raw singer with great classical sur basics and can go any scale and pitch. I only his songs which have a harmonium, tabla and backup singing saathis. Gives a great musical high!

55 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Well Nusrat became well known because his songs were always copied without his permission. Plus the genre he sang was probably more appealing to the masses or common audience .

Bhimsen and Bala Murali were not for the masses or common audience, because of the length of the performance was usually at least 30 mins- a couple of hours. Not to say Nusrat was any different, but at least for his performances there were shortened versions of 10 mins, which would even be considered long by today's generation.

Bhimsen , Bala Murali Krishnan, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan were all classical stalwarts, Nusrat was also similar in classical abilities and vocal range, it's just that his style(qawwali and sufi music) wasn't purely classical, with sargams and alaaps ranging for longer periods. But there was no doubt he could sing in a purely classical manner, as seen in some of his videos on YouTube where he gave classical performances in front of other hindustani musicians, though the video quality is poor.

No one denies Nusrat was a great musician. I don’t care about this detailed analysis. 

I personally have enjoyed his remixes or more contemporary Bollywood style versions.

I am talking about the hype he gets.

For our entertainment Industry a bhajan is usually filmed on the old Indian mom stereotype in a boring, often in a caricaturish manner  but a Sufi song is remixed with Words like Allah Khwaja maula wallah Habibi asthagaragagfullah etc are  made to look cool. We see these chocolate boys who look like their bodies were manufactured in a AC gym feeding them  GNC supplements do these cool salsa moves but a male Indian classical dancer is shown like a gay stereotype.

There is saying once bitten twice shy. Bollywood may have genuinely developed a musical ear to fall in love with Nafrat Ali Khan but their history of hypocrisy makes me question anything they throw at me be it crap or genuine talent like this guy.

40 minutes ago, maniac said:

No one denies Nusrat was a great musician. I don’t care about this detailed analysis. 

I personally have enjoyed his remixes or more contemporary Bollywood style versions.

For our entertainment Industry a bhajan is usually filmed on the old Indian mom stereotype in a boring, often in a caricaturish manner  but a Sufi song is remixed with Words like Allah Khwaja maula wallah Habibi asthagaragagfullah etc are  made to look cool. We see these chocolate boys who look like their bodies were manufactured in a AC gym feeding them  GNC supplements do these cool salsa moves but a male Indian classical dancer is shown like a gay stereotype.

There is saying once bitten twice shy. Bollywood may have genuinely developed a musical ear to fall in love with Nafrat Ali Khan but their history of hypocrisy makes me question anything they throw at me be it crap or genuine talent like this guy.

Fair Enough. I've never really liked Bollywood's versions or Bollywood's hype of anything anyway. I've actually straightforwardly listened to the original compositions of NFAK, I didn't even bother about the remixes, until recently and there's only a few which have interested me.

8 hours ago, maniac said:

Close

4 hours ago, Vilander said:

I felt he did not have musical pitch in his voice. Aba-swaram.

Same.. for some reason I always found him as having the voice of a person who had just stepped on a sharp nail or glass. 

Edited by FischerTal

15 hours ago, maniac said:

NFAK featured in some of his own  Bollywood songs. "Dulhe ka Sehra" from Dhadkan, " "Koi jaane koi na jaane" from Aur Pyar ho gaya for instance. I wouldn't really call him a product of an AC gym.

Also your observation wrt Bhajans isn't correct. The few devotional songs that I've seen have been very done well. " More panghat pe" from Mughal-e-azam and "Radha kaise na jale" from Lagaan ( well not really a Bhajan, but centred around Lord Krishna's life story).

It is the qawaals on the other hand who have a caricature like protrayal. As do Muslims in general, when shown on screen.