Kevin Pietersen 149 (2012) - One of the best innings against quality attack?

16 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Not an Ojha fan but wasn't he our best bowler in that series? It was Ashwin who was a let down averaging 50+. Our blunders were going for a rank turner in Mumbai when we easily beat them on a traditional sub-continent wicket in the 1st Test and going for a dead pitch in Nagpur in the last Test :facepalm:.  

17 hours ago, Stan AF said:

He made a point to ECB for dropping him with his knocks in Mumbai and Kolkatta. W/O him it was a 1-1 at best. Umesh getting injured after the 1st test also didn't help us. Pragyan Ojha was never a test level bowler. The idiots at BCCI should have scheduled a test match in Sennai instead of Mumbai. 3 months later Dhoni hit a 200+ there.

vs Poms and venue Mumbai, too many bad memories for us across formats. We must learn to schedule matches more smartly, some venues against certain teams are just bad for us statistically, against Poms in Mumbai or Pak in Chennai. 

Edited by Gollum
17 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Oh yeah Ashwin let us down big time. No arguments there. Our weak batting also put huge pressure on the bowlers. They were dropping like 9 pins in front of Swann and PPPPP pppp aanesar. One of the most sorrowful sights of my cricket watching life is seeing tendulkar getting out to panesar of all people. He should have retired before that series.

All our home series losses have been mainly because of our subpar batting. After the Ahmedabad test it never looked like our top/middle order knew how to hold a bat, except Che. Even a few 50s by the others were so scratchy, more reliant on luck. That our second best batsman was the #8 or 9 in that series explains why we lost. Somehow our batsmen are put on such a pedestal that their * ups are hardly ever the centre of focus. 

Edited by Gollum
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

vs Poms and venue Mumbai, too many bad memories for us across formats. We must learn to schedule matches more smartly, some venues against certain teams are just bad for us statistically, against Poms in Mumbai or Pak in Chennai. 

Al Bakis have won just once in Chennai, right? Their most successful venue in India is probably Bangalore. England do have a great record in Mumbai which is why it was great fun watching them getting their asses kicked in 2016.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Al Bakis have won just once in Chennai, right? Their most successful venue in India is probably Bangalore. England do have a great record in Mumbai which is why it was great fun watching them getting their asses kicked in 2016.

Yeah but they have won a few ODIs in Chennai, I don't think we have a single victory against them at that venue. Bangalore again them and Aussies have enjoyed some success but at least we haven't drawn blank, 96 QF is somewhat a soothing balm. 

That 2016 test win was special, Kohli's epic double, Vijay and Jayant chipping in with 100s, Ash's 12fer. That 2016-17 home season as such featured some of the most entertaining cricket by Team India I have seen in all my years of following the sport. 

Just now, Gollum said:

Yeah but they have won a few ODIs in Chennai, I don't think we have a single victory against them at that venue. Bangalore again them and Aussies have enjoyed some success but at least we haven't drawn blank, 96 QF is somewhat a soothing balm. 

Yeah if you count ODIs as well then it has certainly been a happy hunting ground for them along with Kolkata. 

Just now, Gollum said:

That 2016 test win was special, Kohli's epic double, Vijay and Jayant chipping in with 100s, Ash's 12fer. That 2016-17 home season as such featured some of the most entertaining cricket by Team India I have seen in all my years of following the sport. 

Lucky enough to have attended that Test for all 5 days although I could have done without the sun burn :p:. That home season was the best phase of Kohli's tenure for sure. 

2012 was a bad year for steyn. His speeds were down and the pitches were absolute roads both in england and in australia .Also the lack of support on flat pitches showed. Morne just wasn't consistent enough and didn't take enough wickets. Philander's lack of speed didn't help either and they didn't have a decent spinner too. I would rate clarkes 151 against this attack in SA higher. It came on a difficult wicket against an attack that was the best in those conditions.