How sweet is Persian Language? (Persian VS Urdu)

Alam_dar

2 hours ago, Norman said:

But why ? :confused:

I don't think even 1% of your population even speaks or understands Persian. Man the wannabeism is unreal. 

We (the later coming generation) ourselves don't know the reason behind this. 

But the Persian wannabeism is long long over. Now it is the era of Arabi wannaeism.  Now I have to imagine how the Pakistani National Anthem would sound in Arabic. I am sure, that this Arabic version would compel me to miss the Persian version. :wp3:

1 hour ago, Audiophile said:

A lot of people don't realize this, but before the Islamic revolution, Iran was a fairly social liberal place in the Middle East.

Nah, that was Anglicised Iran with American British money.

The true greatness of Persians lie in ancient history during the days of Achaemenid Empire.

2 hours ago, MechEng said:

Nah, that was Anglicised Iran with American British money.

The true greatness of Persians lie in ancient history during the days of Achaemenid Empire.

True Persian culture is rich, but Iran before Ayatollah was a fairly liberal place, foreign money or not.

17 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

Pakistani National Anthem is 99.9% in Persian (except for one word of URDU). Still it is such a bad song. 

But this ancient national anthem of Iran is  Unbelievably Sweet.  I didn't expect it when I heard it for the first time. 

Blah Blah Blah.....Other than terorism does pakistan have anything home grown.

13 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

The fact is that Persian culture has has a huge influence on India
Primarily because all the top brass in the mughal dynasty were Persian.

Persians culture did have the influence in the past, but no more today. 

We have borders with Iran, still their present culture is totally foreign to us. 

For example, I am sure that I will feel myself more comfortable culturally among North Indians, South Indians, Sri Lankans, Bengalis, and Nepalis than Iranians or Arabs. 

Not only our living style is totally different than Iranians, but also our present day FOOD too is totally different. Even though it is said that Mughals brought many food dishes from Iran/central Asia, still that food too became totally indigenous to Indian Sub-Continent. Our food Cousine has it's own identity today. 

Same is true about the language. We may have words from Persian, still Urdu/Hindi are totally indigenous to Indian Sub-Continent.  Very important thing is this that our "pronunciation" of same letters and words differ hugely from Persian. We could not even understand a single sentence in Persian language. 

Indians use tons of Farsi words without even realizing it. As high as 50%.

My workplace is like 1/3rd Iranians. I can understand their vocab to large extent, it seems like more stylized versian of Hindi/Urdu.

Words like Kaagaz, Aasmaan, Sabzi, Dost (Dust in Farsi), hamesha, “lekin”, “agar”, “magar”, “sard”, “garam”, “kami”, “zyada”, “sar”, “darwaza”, “Khana”/”Khaneh” (in the sense of shop), “raah”, “raasta”, “dost”, “dushman”, “zaban”, “khoob”, “soorat”, “khuda”, “khud”, “har”, “insaan”, “aazad”, “zamin”, “maidan”, “mulk”, “intazaar”, “aawaaz”, “hawa”

List in unending.

Sikh Guru’s were fluent in Farsi, Guru Gobind Singh wrote ‘Zafarnama’ in Farsi to Aurangzeb.

In Indian Punjab everyone, I mean anyone going to School till mid 1960s wrote primarily in Shahmukhi script and learnt Farsi instead of Gurmukhi or Devnagri script.

My grandfather studied Farsi and could write only Shahmukhi script. He worked for a Cooperative Bank and my aunt used to translate documents for him.

Most Hindi speaking populace has more in common with Farsi than Bengali, Telugu and Tamil.

Edited by Vancouver

Most melodious sweet sounding Urdu I ever heard is from my workmate who was born in Karachi but did some early schooling in Dubai and came to Canada at very young age. He speaks Urdu in such a innocent way. A burger guy as Pakistanis will call him.

Whereas Delhiites/Karachiites speak gunda mawaali bollywood corrupted lingo.

@Alam_dar Sweet is subjective. Urdu is mellifluous, even when work is spoken about. 

You posted a song. Obviously it is going to sound sweet. A song is not a good criteria to judge the 'sweetness' of a language. Regular conversation is a a better metric.

My sister in law is an Iranian American. My only exposure to Farsi has been listening to her speak to her family. Doesn't sound very sweet at all. Actually, it sounds like one long whine fest to me. Not sure if that can be attributed solely to the language, my brother could also be partially responsible there. 

I also follow next to nothing of what she/her family speak in Farsi. But they seem to understand Hindi/Urdu to a fair extent.

My vote goes to Gujarati. Sweetest language ever. Not a linguist but I have seen various domestic squabbles where the arguments take place in English and the sudden switch to Gujarati lessens tensions drastically. My grandmother is an expert at this strategy.

Marathi too can be fairly sweet. Especially the type spoken by the Hindu Colony/ Old Pune type people. Routine Marathi however sounds awfully rude.

Worst sounding languages: German and Japanese. German sounds like chalk/metal screeching against a blackboard. Even those inflight announcements sound scary. If they never made the announcements in English after German, you'd think that the plane was about to crash, and the pilot was screaming "sit tight, don't panic". 

Japanese sounds straight up confrontational. And they speak the maximum number of words/min or so it seems.

It is like how we feel French have an exotic accent when they are merely saying "Grandma's old and weak!". 

I like Kashmiri the best, Bengali is like talking shudh Hindi with 2 roshgollas one one side and 2 champakalis on the other side stuffed in your mouth. Gujarati is as sweet as their food.  Some Marathis speak their language is as jarring as hearing the rattle of 2 stones in a tin can. Same with Tamil. Malayalam is the best to hear among all languages. There you go, I have offended enough people for one day. 

On 7/28/2020 at 3:25 PM, coffee_rules said:

It is like how we feel French have an exotic accent when they are merely saying "Grandma's old and weak!". 

I like Kashmiri the best, Bengali is like talking shudh Hindi with 2 roshgollas one one side and 2 champakalis on the other side stuffed in your mouth. Gujarati is as sweet as their food.  Some Marathis speak their language is as jarring as hearing the rattle of 2 stones in a tin can. Same with Tamil. Malayalam is the best to hear among all languages. There you go, I have offended enough people for one day. 

I am afraid you have yet not offended all. Haryana and Punjabi languages need your comments too. :wp3: