IPL 2020 Playoff Qualification Possibilities thread

poi

I might as well create a new thread for the possibilities of all scenarios that can happen from this point forward. I will post possibilities tables after each match until we know the exact playoffs teams.

After Match 38 (Tuesday), the top 4, particularly top 3, seem pretty set (barring crazy scenarios that are theoretically possible)

spacer.png

Edited by poi
latest

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Can you substantiate more? Explain the table

Since we’re currently after match 36 and there are 56 matches before the playoffs, there are just over 1 million possible combinations possible for teams. I ran simulations of all possible win/loss outcomes and generated the points/ranking to see how each team’s chances for ranks 1 to 10 , as well as scenarios for qualifications. Did that explain it?

Edited by poi

16 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

How is qualifiedPc calculated? It doesn’t match or add up to rank[1-4]Pc.

Qualified is based on individual scenarios, so you just cannot sum of rank1-4 for it. Also note that NRR is not being factored in, just w/l, but that was understood with these simulations.

Edited by poi

On 10/19/2020 at 2:39 PM, Cricketics said:

POI good job. So CSK is out based on your probability factor? That won’t go down well with our csk fans here. Are you ready for those fans? 

Not out theoretically, because there are scenarios that have them clearly ranked 2nd, 3rd and 4th if everything in the rest of the tournament goes their way. Is that likely? 8% of the scenarios go in their favor, but 92% do not. Beyond just numbers/probabilities, CSK is mentally at a disadvantage with their back to back losses.

Here is the scenario table IF CSK wins all 4 remaining matches: note that they are not guaranteed to qualify, but they would have a great chance at over 85%. It should depend on what KKR does with their remaining matches.

Edited by poi

18 minutes ago, poi said:

Not out theoretically, because there are scenarios that have them clearly ranked 2nd, 3rd and 4th if everything in the rest of the tournament goes their way. Is that likely? 8% of the scenarios go in their favor, but 92% do not. Beyond just numbers/probabilities, CSK is mentally at a disadvantage with their back to back losses.

Here is the scenario table IF CSK wins all 4 remaining matches: note that they are not guaranteed to qualify, but they would have a great chance at over 85%. It should depend on what KKR does with their remaining matches.

spacer.png

Can you create a scenario where they can top the table? @velu

4 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Can you create a scenario where they can top the table? @velu

If someone can run the simulation, it would be good to double check my calculations. Based on my calculation, CSK cannot top the table as Rank1 despite winning next 4, but they can be ranked 2nd. Look at my previous post with that simulation. 

Edited by poi

12 minutes ago, poi said:

If someone can run the simulation, it would be good to double check my calculations. Based on my calculation, CSK cannot top the table as Rank1 despite winning next 4, but they can be ranked 2nd. Look at my previous post with that simulation. 

Sure, we will arrange some people. 

11 hours ago, poi said:

spacer.png

According to this second table, the chances of :mi: qualifying  are 93.74%. And finishing fifth are 14.97%. That adds up to more than 100%?

What am I missing here? 

Can you please tell me what are MI's chances of a top 2 finish at this stage?

Edited by Mariyam

4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

According to this second table, the chances of :mi: qualifying  are 93.74%. And finishing fifth are 14.97%. That adds up to more than 100%?

What am I missing here? 

qualification and ranking are independent .... rankings add up to 100% 

For a top 2 finish chances per this simulation, simply add up % in rank 1 & 2 :dontknow: 

4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

What am I missing here? 

Can you please tell me what are MI's chances of a top 2 finish at this stage?

maths  :hmmm::cantstop: :giggle: