Jamieson v Green, the young ARs from down under

zen

Jamieson v Green  

19 members have voted

1. 1. On potential, who looks more impressive so far?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/2021 at 04:59 AM

Jamieson v Green, the two young all-rounders from down under, have played two tests v Ind so far (debuted v Ind). How do you rate them on potential? Which one has impressed you more?

What are the areas, they need to improve upon?

For reference, so far in 2 tests v Ind:

• Jamieson batting avg 47, bowling avg 16
  • Green batting avg 23, bowling avg N/A (yet to pick up a wkt)

Edited by zen

Jamieson right now but I have a nasty feeling he will get exposed very soon in Asia when he tours. Happy to be proven wrong but I think he will get destroyed in Asia epseically India. 

Green has potential to be a great batting all rounder. 

Remember novelty factor makes them look better than they are. Soon teams will study them and work them out. Will be interesting. 

5 hours ago, zen said:

Is that an issue? An AR can have either batting or bowling as his strong point. 

Batting ARs are more prized/rated in modern cricket ala Ben Stokes/Watson vs Holder, Kallis vs Pollock or Shakib vs erstwhile Jadeja. Its a batsman's game and an AR who is a top bat but is useful with the ball seems to be more valued than the other way round.

Edited by Vickydev
34 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Batting ARs are more prized/rated in modern cricket ala Ben Stokes/Watson vs Holder, Kallis vs Pollock or Shakib vs erstwhile Jadeja. Its a batsman's game and an AR who is a top bat but is useful with the ball seems to be more valued than the other way round.

When it comes to ARs, what is imp is the avg diff so if a bowling AR has a batting avg of 40 and bowling avg of 25, his avg diff is 15 ... and if a batting AR has a batting avg of 45 and bowling avg of 35, his avg diff is 10 ... the former can be said to be more effective 

Talking abt Jamieson, his current batting avg is 49 and bowling avg is 14, so the avg diff is 35, which is phenomenal at this point in time 

I would not term Kallis as a top AR because his bowling workload was much less relatively to other top ARs  ..... check out the thread below: 

Edited by zen

To me Green looks like a genuine AR,his batting and bowling look equally strong certainly at this point

He is composed as well as aggressive who will not let loose deliveries go

Green seems to have a very aggressive approach while bowling as well very much like Watson ,he too has a heavy ball to surprise batsmen

Jamieson i have not seen him much,but NZ unlike Aus doesn't give a complete picture of  a seamer

If you consider bowling, traditionally Aussie pacers are all conditions bowler same cannot be said for NZ pacers barring few

Want to see Jamieson bowl in Asia or on Australian pata pitches before forming an opinion on his bowling.

Plus there is the novelty factor, which will wear off.

Green has not played much yet. Potential is there but let's see.  Good FC averages do not necessarily mean a good career in international cricket. There could be issues regarding both temperament and technique.

As of now he looks like a good prospect. Plays in a calm manner.

Both, being very tall, have more risk of getting injured while bowling seam up.

3 hours ago, zen said:

When it comes to ARs, what is imp is the avg diff so if a bowling AR has a batting avg of 40 and bowling avg of 25, his avg diff is 15 ... and if a batting AR has a batting avg of 45 and bowling avg of 35, his avg diff is 10 ... the former can be said to be more effective 

Talking abt Jamieson, his current batting avg is 49 and bowling avg is 14, so the avg diff is 35, which is phenomenal at this point in time 

I would not term Kallis as a top AR because his bowling workload was much less relatively to other top ARs  ..... check out the thread below: 

Thing is Jamieson has only played 3 series that too at home.  He has a novelty factor as well.  His batting tbh looks nothing special.  Even chotu Sam Curran looks like has more potential with bat.  Jamieson can have good career with ball though but unlikely to be the level of Woakes Curran let alone Stokes. 

Green has more all round game & has decent pace- 140kph & solid batting technique.  He has age on his side only 21 years atm.  So I think Green can be closest to Stokes in coming years. 

12 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Thing is Jamieson has only played 3 series that too at home.  He has a novelty factor as well.  His batting tbh looks nothing special.  Even chotu Sam Curran looks like has more potential with bat.  Jamieson can have good career with ball though but unlikely to be the level of Woakes Curran let alone Stokes. 

Green has more all round game & has decent pace- 140kph & solid batting technique.  He has age on his side only 21 years atm.  So I think Green can be closest to Stokes in coming years. 

Sam Curran is actually a much better AR, a genuine one . Was always seen as a AR with his batting and bowling averages close to 30 over a much larger sample of FC matches.

On Green vs Stokes, doubt if Green will continue to bowl much. Aussies need proper Test quality batsmen, will groom Green as their next one.