Ploy to strangle the Australians by setting leg-side field was Shastri's brainchild - Bharat Arun !!!

velu

@maniac  :woot: 

ravi_shastri_1538223154.jpg

Instead of crowding the slip cordon or attacking them with short-pitched deliveries, India deployed three fielders at times four including a leg gully whenever Steve Smith and Marnush Labuschagne - Australia's two best batsmen - walked to bat in the four-match Test series. And worked wonders for them, at least for the first part of the series as both Smith and Labuschagne were out caught either fending or flicking towards the on side.

This was not a knee jerk reaction to stop two batsmen averaging well over 60 in Test cricket from scoring runs. It was actually a well thought out plan derived more than five months before the Test series began. The mastermind behind it? India head coach Ravi Shastri, who had called bowling coach Bharat Arun in July to discuss the same.

"Ravi called me sometime in July and we were discussing the Australia tour, that we needed to take the off side out of the Australians. So, we had our own analysis and we felt most of the runs Smith and Labuschagne scored and most of Aussie batsmen, they had got a lot of runs out of the cut, pull and on the off side," Bharat Arun told reporters on Friday.

Arun said they also learnt from how the New Zealand bowlers, especially Neil Wagner, troubled Smith during the series between the trans-Tasmanian rivals in the previous season."We took a cue out of the NZ attack. When they bowled to Steve Smith, they had bowled bodyline to him and he felt very uncomfortable.

"So, Ravi called up and said 'I want you to make a plan where you eliminate the off side out of the Australians'.

"He said we will attack straighter lines and have an on side field so it is very difficult for batsmen to be consistently clearing the onside fields. That really worked for us." Arun said the plan was subsequently communicated to skipper Virat Kohli.

Bharat-Arun_1611326685374_1611326695076.

"He bought into the theory and we employed the same strategy in Adelaide and Ajinkya was magnificent from Melbourne onwards. The bowlers responded beautifully to that," said the bowling coach.

The likes of Shardul Thakur, Washington Sundar and T Natarajan were made to stay back post the limited overs leg of the tour and with India hit by a barrage of injuries during the Test series, all three ended up playing the Brisbane Test and did rather well.

"...I think it was a great move by Ravi Shastri to hold back all the bowlers who had come in as net bowlers," said Arun.

I always believed Shastri was never a bad selection over Kumble as a coach. I have to admit I wanted him out as coach after 36 allout and NZ series,

As a team you always have to learn how to win, India were in almost every match in SA, England and Australia which was never the case in history of Indian cricket.They lost all the key moments in SA and Eng. Then came NZ fiasco that totally set this team back.They had no business of losing 0-2 to NZ.

Shastri needs to do more than this series win to become a great coach.He is an upgrade over Gary Kirsten ,Duncan or Kumble. Mahela is one guy I think would be a great coach.

1 hour ago, bowl_out said:

Why state that publicly?

2 hours ago, gattaca said:

Why put that strategy out ? To think of Steve Smith just 31 is scary. May be he will play till 34.

do you think they are too dumb to figure out what was happening? even cricinfo guys started talking about india's leg side trap from mcg match.. obviously everyone knew it, they just couldn't counter it effectively. Same with wagner's strategy against smith, the idea was so simple and basic, everyone knew what wagner was trying to do including smith.. they just didn't expect he would be that accurate and relentless

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

What? He is not a bewada anymore? What should we do when we lose next, can't even blame him? They are taking the fun out of visiting ICF. No more memes on Ravi sir, no snickers, no thumbs down. I will start watching only fencing from now on

Bewda with a sharp brain! 

46 minutes ago, Serpico said:

do you think they are too dumb to figure out what was happening? even cricinfo guys started talking about india's leg side trap from mcg match.. obviously everyone knew it, they just couldn't counter it effectively. Same with wagner's strategy against smith, the idea was so simple and basic, everyone knew what wagner was trying to do including smith.. they just didn't expect he would be that accurate and relentless

Lol within ten balls even 10 year old Aussies knew what the ploy was. Main is execution..everyone knew Ganguly couldnt play short ball.. but still he scored 7200 runs in test with a century in Brisbane.. its all abour adapting.. and in these days with the analytics everyone knows everyones weaknesses..