Gaikwad v Shaw

zen

Both are good players in their way and may struggle if the ball moves around (like most Ind openers).

Pros for Gaikwad v Shaw: 

• better game sense 
  • better fielder (Shaw as a fielder would be in the lowest tier) 
  • can be more consistent when in form 

Pros for Shaw v Gaikwad:

• Better stroke player (but needs to be in his best form to be impactful) 
  • His good innings can be relatively more impactful for the team

If Padikkal, who is closer to Gaikwad in the way he plays his cricket, is added to the discussion:

• Pros: Left hander, good fielder, and can show a good game sense as well
  • Cons: SR can be on the lower side than both Gaikwad and Shaw

Who is likely to be more successful in the short to mid term for his franchise? 

Shaw is a match winner, X factor player with a lot of baggage like fitness and fielding

Gaekwad is a hardworking player who maximizes his skill and can be a great asset in a solid line up.

If I am chasing 200+ or 350+ in T20/ODis I would want Shaw in the side. Getting over 140 type targets without any hiccups Or getting a decent score on a tough surface, Gaekwad is the guy.

Shaw can play quality international attacks though jury out on Gaekwad still. IPL doesn’t count.

5 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Shaw is a match winner, X factor player with a lot of baggage like fitness and fielding

Gaekwad is a hardworking player who maximizes his skill and can be a great asset in a solid line up.

If I am chasing 200+ or 350+ in T20/ODis I would want Shaw in the side. Getting over 140 type targets without any hiccups Or getting a decent score on a tough surface, Gaekwad is the guy.

Shaw can play quality international attacks though jury out on Gaekwad still. IPL doesn’t count.

That post does not answer any question or address the scope in the OP :dontknow:

11 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Gaikwad looked absolute crap in last few games when ball moved around. This is a damn flat wkt with no left armer in opposite side which has caused him his downfall

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Gaikwad looked absolute crap in last few games when ball moved around. This is a damn flat wkt with no left armer in opposite side which has caused him his downfall

please read my post again. I called him adequate and hard working. I rate Shaw higher. Why do we need to put down one player.

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Gill is a test player but Shaw is neither test nor a T20 bat. Too flawed and flashy Domestic basher.

IPL  is a domestic T20 competition  so you need a domestic basher and a flashy player at the top. I will have a problem if this version of Shaw plays in WTC or England but for IPL T20 don’t see too many batsmen more exciting than him.

His issue is fielding and fitness. Technical flaws don’t think it is that much worse than say Iyer, Mayank or Rahul (in tests). Anyways don’t see him putting any efforts on this, May be is we  don’t know what happens behind the scene but looking at him, don’t think he is. 

Edited by Global.Baba