Zerodha's Nikhil Kamath (India's youngest billionaire) uses engine assistance to beat Viswanathan Anand in charity chess simul

Gollum

43 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Maybe I am ignorant, It is definitely unfair in a real game, but this was a charity event. What's the BFD if he cheats, the proceeds are going to a charity. If it was sponsored under Chess.Com official rules, it made sense to ban their accounts as it bring them down in reputation. 

Imagine being invited to play a legend for a charity event

Imagine coming and saying on stream that the legend is your idol

Imagine cheating the whole match, and then gloating about it with 25k people watching, never admitting that there was assistance (lowest of all lows in the game), taking in all accolades shamelessly

Imagine refusing to accept his fault when called out

Imagine then contacting the legend and his wife when the controversy erupted and being explicitly told not to drag the legend's name

Imagine ignoring that request and still making a non-apology apology, dragging the legend's name (spelt incorrectly, idol?) and making it appear as if all of this was scripted beforehand (it was not as the legend and organizers clarified)

Imagine not having the decency to take responsibility and make a half-decent apology

And this wasn't some random guy. A so called phenom in the financial industry, youngest billion and all that. Some of his interviews were shared over the past 2 days, where he made up stories about his chess prowess/achievements and how he gave up chess to pursue interest in another area, applying chess concepts to another field to emerge as some hotshot. As it turns out none of this was even remotely true, he just lied and lied. 

Pretty sure he came in there to beat Anand and use his win as a tool to create more such cool stories....prowess at chess is incorrectly assumed as something out of this world, beyond the capability of normal people, which only a small section of geniuses can achieve. Imagine if there were no controversy, this guy would be introduced as a genius who crushed a world champion despite not touching a chess board for 20 years (his words), it would become a recurring theme in future events and he would have milked it....milked something based on a lie. Textbook narcissistic personality disorder. Disrespectful towards Anand, disrespectful towards a game which people spend years and years trying to master. 

43 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

What did I miss, with all the outrage about doubting this guy's business dealings etc?

Well deserved. If he can cheat when there is nothing at stake, shows the kind of person he is. If that wasn't clear enough, how he behaved post game sealed the deal for me. Had he made a proper apology to not just Anand but all chess fans, had he actually felt bad about his shocking conduct, had he made a large donation to the charity to make up for his fault, maybe then there was a shot at redemption or at least forgiveness from the chess world.

28 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

He should probably have made V. Anand aware that he was going to get machine assistance.  I think the lack of transparency is the real issue here.  

Yup they could have informed beforehand and maybe been allowed to use engine for say first 10 moves to avoid losing quickly. But that isn't allowed even in simuls since it may set a bad precedent, expectation is that players use honest means. And generally the GMs (except someone like Kasparov, he won't show mercy even to his mother!!!!) don't go for quick kill, I mean if you blunder your queen in 7th move they might not capture it, give a couple of extra chances to prolong the battle. Anand is a gentleman, I am sure he would have ensured that even games against the weakest players go on for 20 odd moves to make the stream longer thus ensuring more donations and entertainment for the audience. 

Second batch of people played honestly, was fun to watch. Even after they got crushed, they all analyzed their games, received tips to improve, chatted, even sung songs lol, atmosphere was so chill. That is what we expect to see in such an event, not the BS some of these guys did so shamelessly.  

28 minutes ago, Gollum said:

He claimed he was a 2000 rated player. 

I reached 2050 (2049 actually on lichess rapid, feel better about reaching 2450 on puzzles though)... 2000 rated players are probably just peanuts for 2700s...

Edited by randomGuy

4 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Maybe I am ignorant, It is definitely unfair in a real game, but this was a charity event. What's the BFD if he cheats, the proceeds are going to a charity. If it was sponsored under Chess.Com official rules, it made sense to ban their accounts as it bring them down in reputation. 

What did I miss, with all the outrage about doubting this guy's business dealings etc?

Players take rules lightly in charity games and that's nothing new. It's ok as everyone knows and understand what's happening. Say a bowler throwing or trying funny action and overstepping.

But cheating in charity game would be considered bad any day.

Imagine someone deliberately pushing SRT or Dhoni in a celebrity cricket match to run them out. Or someone trying to claim a catch which has already dropped on ground and claiming that seriously.

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

Imagine being invited to play a legend for a charity event

Imagine coming and saying on stream that the legend is your idol

Imagine cheating the whole match, and then gloating about it with 25k people watching, never admitting that there was assistance (lowest of all lows in the game), taking in all accolades shamelessly

Imagine refusing to accept his fault when called out

Imagine then contacting the legend and his wife when the controversy erupted and being explicitly told not to drag the legend's name

Imagine ignoring that request and still making a non-apology apology, dragging the legend's name (spelt incorrectly, idol?) and making it appear as if all of this was scripted beforehand (it was not as the legend and organizers clarified)

Imagine not having the decency to take responsibility and make a half-decent apology

And this wasn't some random guy. A so called phenom in the financial industry, youngest billion and all that. Some of his interviews were shared over the past 2 days, where he made up stories about his chess prowess/achievements and how he gave up chess to pursue interest in another area, applying chess concepts to another field to emerge as some hotshot. As it turns out none of this was even remotely true, he just lied and lied. 

Pretty sure he came in there to beat Anand and use his win as a tool to create more such cool stories....prowess at chess is incorrectly assumed as something out of this world, beyond the capability of normal people, which only a small section of geniuses can achieve. Imagine if there were no controversy, this guy would be introduced as a genius who crushed a world champion despite not touching a chess board for 20 years (his words), it would become a recurring theme in future events and he would have milked it....milked something based on a lie. Textbook narcissistic personality disorder. Disrespectful towards Anand, disrespectful towards a game which people spend years and years trying to master. 

Well deserved. If he can cheat when there is nothing at stake, shows the kind of person he is. If that wasn't clear enough, how he behaved post game sealed the deal for me. Had he made a proper apology to not just Anand but all chess fans, had he actually felt bad about his shocking conduct, had he made a large donation to the charity to make up for his fault, maybe then there was a shot at redemption or at least forgiveness from the chess world.

What a narcissistic scumbag!!

You can add ....pressurised the org and Anand to make peace with this scam he pulled.

He is a con man .

I feel bad for anyone doing business dealing with him. Transparent my foot!

Edited by beetle

1 hour ago, Lord said:

They clearly tried to disgrace the Indian legend

It's funny how Sudeep tries to claim that he just played and had a good day.

Such a shame.

@coffee_rules - this is what big deal is. These guys tried to hide everything and instead of coming out clean at end, they pretended that it was just good day for them.

"When you start playing against good player, you start thinking 3 steps ahead, 4 steps ahead" - says that guy.

Yeah, when I start bowling to Kohli, I will start bowling outswinging deliveries from middle to off at 140 kph. Kuchh bhi bakwas.

25 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

We have so many cricket matches involving celebrities. Never seen anyone trying to pull cheap stunts in those.

None are official, so nobody would care. In celebrties Cricket, there will be live interviews with players having mics talking to god knows who. Sudeep had some real club cricketers in his team in some of the film stars' matches and won.

Yes, outrage is ok, but it is not the end of the world to ban them from chess.com. No equivalance of such offence example in cricket

Edited by coffee_rules