Olympic medalists from Indian states

Trichromatic

Let's face it, most of India doesn't care about the Olympics. I can't speak about others but I had to look up what repechage means. Have this deja vu feeling. I'm sure I looked it up in 2016. And in 2012 too. The games leave no lasting impression on any of us. Much like a Christopher Nolan movie.

How many of us can name who is the current 100m dash champion in India?

Who set the national record for long jump?

See my point. 

This interest is only fleeting and superficial.

When it comes to cricket, the sport that we really care about, it's Mumbai that has maximum Ranji wins.

And ofcourse maximum number of IPL wins too. 

:mi:

I haven't really seen anyone ever play hockey in India. I once even attended a corporate event on the turf wala hockey ground next to the Wankhede. Subsidiary income? Time we change our national game.

In fact I've only seen hockey sticks in 90s movies used by goons in open jeeps to terrorise the common folk.

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Let's face it, most of India doesn't care about the Olympics. I can't speak about others but I had to look up what repechage means. Have this deja vu feeling. I'm sure I looked it up in 2016. And in 2012 too. The games leave no lasting impression on any of us. Much like a Christopher Nolan movie.

How many of us can name who is the current 100m dash champion in India?

Who set the national record for long jump?

See my point. 

This interest is only fleeting and superficial.

When it comes to cricket, the sport that we really care about, it's Mumbai that has maximum Ranji wins.

And ofcourse maximum number of IPL wins too. 

:mi:

I haven't really seen anyone ever play hockey in India. I once even attended a corporate event on the turf wala hockey ground next to the Wankhede. Subsidiary income? Time we change our national game.

In fact I've only seen hockey sticks in 90s movies used by goons in open jeeps to terrorise the common folk.

Very elitist statement.

Lot of us care deeply about hockey.  I understand they dont get the TV coverage that cricket players get but look at their physique. They all look strong and ready to go. Competing against Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Autralia etc. I doubt cricket players can do that.

I for one live for the 100m dash. Those 10 seconds to mean more than any other event in life. Those are some athletes competing. Rest of the olymics I could care less about.

My concept of allrounders do not exist comes from watching olympics to some extent. Athletes winning 100/200m dash seldom win 400m/800m run. 1mile is different and marathon is totally different. Nothing like watchin Usain Bolt.

bolt-2-f5723d79e5e1f37d3b2c6aca54a5c9eb46f740b1-s800-c85.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Didn't the Netherlands play in an ICC WC?

Some of their players were in the IPL too.

You are correct but so does Canada and US. The point is they dont take cricket that seriously but Netherland has a very established Hockey league and have won several medals.

@Khota Why am I an elitist?

I don't even like cricket that much except the IPL. And mainly see India games only in the WC. That too India batting in power plays.

Truth is Mumbai is the champ in IPL/Ranji.

Does that change that cricket is the sport that most of us are emotionally invested in? Did you not feel low when Tendulkar retired? Or when Yuvraj was diagnosed with cancer. Or when we lost that semi final to NZ?

Contrast that with the ups and downs of Indian athletes  in track and field events. As a fan of such events do *you* even know who is the Indian 100m dash champion? Or the one prior to this? Or the long jump champion? Do you watch national athletic championships like you do the IPL?

Let's look at this dispassionately. Sports in India, for the longest time, have been solely recreational. People enjoy playing cricket. People enjoy volleyball. Or even kabaddi.

A 100m dash is v low on the enjoyment scale. How many kids are going to race for 'fun'? Did you as a child? 

However there are millions who would want to bat. Or hit that six. Or take that wicket. 

Controversy is marketable. A story is marketable. A 10s 100m dash not so much so. It's the nature of the game. Think advertising. A White Hat jr advert is longer than a 100m dash.

[mention=24965]Khota[/mention] Why am I an elitist?

I don't even like cricket that much except the IPL. And mainly see India games only in the WC. That too India batting in power plays.

Does that change that cricket is the sport that most of us are emotionally invested in? Did you not feel low when Tendulkar retired? Or when Yuvraj was diagnosed with cancer. Or when we lost that semi final to NZ?

Contrast that with the ups and downs of Indian athletes  in track and field events. As a fan of such events do *you* even know who is the Indian 100m dash champion? Or the one prior to this? Or the long jump champion? Do you watch national athletic championships like you do the IPL?

Let's look at this dispassionately. Sports in India, for the longest time, have been solely recreational. People enjoy playing cricket. People enjoy volleyball. Or even kabaddi.
A 100m dash is v low on the enjoyment scale. How many kids are going to race for 'fun'? Did you as a child? 
However there are millions who would want to bat. Or hit that six. Or take that wicket. 
Controversy is marketable. A story is marketable. A 10s 100m dash not so much so. It's the nature of the game. Think advertising. A White Hat jr advert is longer than a 100m dash.
@Mariyam as kids we all raced for fun

49 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@Khota Why am I an elitist?

I used the term elitist because you claim others dont watch some events in olympics.

For me 100m dash is the yard stick. I get goosebumps when I watch it. That feeling is better than anything else. Ever.

I did not care when Sachin retired but felt did feel bad for Yuvraj when diagnosed with cancer. I feel bad for anyone who is sick.

There is so much biomechanics and science in 100m. They are all muscles and and accelerate everytime they hit the ground. That is the best sight in the world.

Athletics at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Men's 100 metres - Wikipedia

This is 200m though.

4 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

I guess @coffee_rules won't find Modi's statement petty. 

I do. Esp when it is a team sport. 13-02-13, I was not logging in Twitter. The on;y diff is Modi was celebrating a gold medal. Captain is gloating over goals scored by his state players. As if they can score goals without their partners' assistance. It is a team sport.

Edited by coffee_rules

12 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I do. Esp when it is a team sport. 13-02-13, I was not logging in Twitter. The on;y diff is Modi was celebrating a gold medal. Captain is gloating over goals scored by his state players. As if they can score goals without their partners' assistance. It is a team sport.

Down south it's even worse. You'll find leaders celebrating and commenting just because that said person is a part of the team, and the team thrives because of that said individual.

43 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Down south it's even worse. You'll find leaders celebrating and commenting just because that said person is a part of the team, and the team thrives because of that said individual.

You're being more honest in your evaluations - a Southie trait. Trust me northies are worse. They will even argue that they are right even when they are at fault.