Could Pandey have succeeded at test cricket?

maniac

Pandey is one guy who never looks like getting out. He can go on and on. Cant score but just can’t get out. I have seen this many times in Odis and IPL.

Always has a decent average. I don’t think he has any problems against pace either. Plays bounce pretty well actually.

On top of that has a good FC record too.

Could he have been a successful test cricketer? I can see him replace Rahane in Asian and Pujara in all conditions minus Australia.

ur views.

Edited by maniac
6 hours ago, maniac said:

Pandey is one guy who never looks like getting out. He can go on and on. Cant score but just can’t get out. I have seen this many times in Odis and IPL.

Always has a decent average. I don’t think he has any problems against pace either. Plays bounce pretty well actually.

On top of that has a good FC record too.

Could he have been a successful test cricketer? I can see him replace Rahane in Asian and Pujara in all conditions minus Australia.

ur views.

Kaif was a fighter, always thought he would do well in test but didnt. 

Nope Nope Nope  

Like Iyer, Rayudu he also had to many problems -  when u have to many areas of concern then ull struggle 

• Has a high backlift and bat comes down at an angle (wud be getting caught in gully a lot)
  • Isnt that good against spin (rahane wala haal hota)
  • Huge bat pad gap 
  • Pushes hard playing away from body

No. ODIs are/were his best format and he should have got an extended run in that 2014-17 period where we tried out Rayudu, Rahane at no.4 and even brought back a washed up Yuvi. 

Got that hundred against Aus at the SCG, failed in one series at home against NZ and never got picked again. 

9 hours ago, maniac said:

I can see him replace Rahane in Asian and Pujara in all conditions minus Australia.

as bad as rahane against spin , might be lil better coz he plays domestic every year

Like pujara he ll also work in australia only coz pace n bounce isnt his problem, actually kookabura move to hoga hi and his hard hands will lead to his downfall their as well 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

the guy wud have avg 25 

I think people correlate slow and steady approach  of a loi player with him being a good prospect for test cricket. 

Nowadays averaging 50 at 80 str rate is nothing extraordinary actually on the contrary it is quite mediocre, the ball doesn't swing or seam so surviving isn't a skill which is required these days. 

We have seen the same with Shai Hope who scores at nearly 50 in odis(str rate 75) but is a test failure,  same goes Rayudu, Imam Ul Haq and so on.

Pandey doesn't have a technique and I don't ecen think he is comfortable against bounce, don't know why you are saying so, he scored runs vs third class bowling attack. 

15 minutes ago, Adamant said:

I think people correlate slow and steady approach  of a loi player with him being a good prospect for test cricket. 

Exactly

Slow and steady appraoch in LOi doesnt mean player wud be good in test

slow and steady approaach also doesnt mean player is reliable (its just that he isnt even trying  much)

Slow and steady doesnt mean player is mentally strong

All these are stupid myths

On 10/9/2021 at 1:17 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Nope Nope Nope  

Like Iyer, Rayudu he also had to many problems -  when u have to many areas of concern then ull struggle 

• Has a high backlift and bat comes down at an angle (wud be getting caught in gully a lot)
  • Isnt that good against spin (rahane wala haal hota)
  • Huge bat pad gap 
  • Pushes hard playing away from body

rayudu was a big prospect during icl days and he still plays spin well. i get the feeling if he was playing at least at home he would score a lot of runs. Manoj tiwary was also similar.

7 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

rayudu was a big prospect during icl days and he still plays spin well. i get the feeling if he was playing at least at home he would score a lot of runs. Manoj tiwary was also similar.

yea both were very good players of spin lekin 1 condition player ka kya krna. Good pacers have come n taken wkts in India also 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Exactly

Slow and steady appraoch in LOi doesnt mean player wud be good in test

slow and steady approaach also doesnt mean player is reliable (its just that he isnt even trying  much)

Slow and steady doesnt mean player is mentally strong

All these are stupid myths

players need ability to play strokes. 

sky on the other hand can be a good test player believe it or not. he has no real weakness. he can play all kinds of shots. Temperament may be the issue but that can be worked on. 

pandey isnt comfortable with short stuff which is extremely important for test cricket. he is good vs spin. not sure vs swing. You need to be able to cut, pull, play on both sides, drives etc. Need multitude of strokes to be successful. 

48 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

yea both were very good players of spin lekin 1 condition player ka kya krna. Good pacers have come n taken wkts in India also 

very true. for example, smith can just ask cummins to come back and bowl hard lengths for an over to bamboozle him anytime even if he did well vs spin. 

14 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

Tiwary had two/three stellar first class seasons from 2006/2009 since then nothing much, below average batsman, was struggling against zimbabwe's dibbly dobblers in 2015