Electric vehicles in India

Trichromatic

1 hour ago, Clarke said:

55092613.jpg

This is because of the crappy Indian habit of keeping your vehicle turned on even when it is idle or parked. I have seen this many times with the petrol run 2 wheelers and sometimes 4 wheelers too where the driver leaves his vehicle idle and in running mode.

Edited by MechEng

11 minutes ago, MechEng said:

This is because of the crappy Indian habit of keeping your vehicle turned on even when it is idle or parked. I have seen this many times with the petrol run 2 wheelers and sometimes 4 wheelers too where the driver leaves his vehicle idle and in running mode.

That might not be and most likely isn't be the cause here. Even if it were the applicable scenario, that's no excuse for spontaneous combustion.

50 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

My niece in India bought one EV (scooter) . This is  scary, will have to warn her :fear1:

Which one ?

Ola is a buggy product until now, Autocar India experienced the same and suggested Ather as a better alternative despite being more expensive & having less features. 

FWIW, once in a blue moon an odd  supercar (Ferrari/Lambo types) is also known to combust spontaneously :p:

Edited by Clarke

22 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Which one ?

Ola is a buggy product until now, Autocar India experienced the same and suggested Ather as a better alternative despite being more expensive & having less features. 

FWIW, once in a blue moon an odd  supercar (Ferrari/Lambo types) is also known to combust spontaneously :p:

I think I is Ola

*Rant Alert*

Sometime last month, we were thinking of purchasing the new Thar. My sister, who doesn't stay in the country, was visiting and she has been in Captain Planet mode for more than 8 months now. Earlier I thought it was a fad, but its really annoying now. She kept hyping up the electric car and its benefits and such like. The worst part about her pravachan is that she guilt trips you into believing that you are at fault for the environmental disaster all over the world. As if I am to blame for the AQI of Mumbai and Delhi. In general, I've been a bully (to her) even though I'm younger. That coupled with her monologue actually guilt tripped me into buying the Tata Nexon EV. 

Let me state here that I am a big fan of Tata products, across categories. And I shall continue to be. But this vehicle is a complete rip off. With the AC switched on ( absolute necessity for the last few days) this car has very poor performance. Struggles to climb flyovers. I shudder to think what would happen if it were to be taken to Pune/Nashik/ (inter city drive) across the ghats. That btw, was the reason we were going for the new Thar. Also the EV version is substantially more expensive than the regular Tata Nexon. its barely been a month, but I've given up on this vehicle and have reverted back to my earlier vehicle.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

*Rant Alert*

Sometime last month, we were thinking of purchasing the new Thar. My sister, who doesn't stay in the country, was visiting and she has been in Captain Planet mode for more than 8 months now. Earlier I thought it was a fad, but its really annoying now. She kept hyping up the electric car and its benefits and such like. The worst part about her pravachan is that she guilt trips you into believing that you are at fault for the environmental disaster all over the world. As if I am to blame for the AQI of Mumbai and Delhi. In general, I've been a bully (to her) even though I'm younger. That coupled with her monologue actually guilt tripped me into buying the Tata Nexon EV. 

Let me state here that I am a big fan of Tata products, across categories. And I shall continue to be. But this vehicle is a complete rip off. With the AC switched on ( absolute necessity for the last few days) this car has very poor performance. Struggles to climb flyovers. I shudder to think what would happen if it were to be taken to Pune/Nashik/ (inter city drive) across the ghats. That btw, was the reason we were going for the new Thar. Also the EV version is substantially more expensive than the regular Tata Nexon. its barely been a month, but I've given up on this vehicle and have reverted back to my earlier vehicle.

Disappointment. We are still about 2-3 years away from getting it right. 

2 wheelers are the proper benefactor from EV advances in India, looking forward to major progress there from the mainstream brands.

Until battery tech makes further advances & charging stations are aplenty here, PHEVs might make more sense to drive using mostly the battery in town & use gasoline on longer trips. I don't think there's an option outside of luxury cars here.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

*Rant Alert*

That's not a rant, it's pretty useful feedback. I've read of people face challenges like available range dropping suddenly while driving the Nexon EV, range anxiety is the last thing any EV owner wants to experience.  

4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

*Rant Alert*

This is a common tactic of faux environmental activists.  I don't know about your sister, but most of the same people who preach the virtues of EVs would also oppose the cleanest source of electricity - nuclear - in favor of inconsistent, low density, high-waste strategies such as solar and wind.  With EVs, there are also trade-offs involving the humanitarian costs of Lithium mining for batteries, and toxic waste.  On balance they may still be "better" than IC engine vehicles, but I doubt their overall impact on the environment is significantly better.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

The idea of paying reasonable taxes on an EV as opposed to paying 30% in assorted taxes is very enticing.

But the cons keep me waiting for the next big release. It feels like a minor leap in battery technology is due, which will upset any current assessments - No point in investing big and early in a space that's churning <cough>LD<cough> and risk having a car that can turn into a lemon just like that. I still remember seeing a LaserDisc system enclosure in a big electronic store in a mall that got the full treatment, paired with the latest home theatre system, the display had a big recliner to experience the LD system. By the time my bonus arrived later that year, you couldn't even find LD compatible discs in the movie discount bin.

Add to that the lack of charging network as well as the performance in real life conditions and it's a total non-starter. One intercity trip with four adults and a loaded boot and the reality of owning an EV in its current form hits you hard.