Favourite authors and Novels

I6MTW

33 minutes ago, zen said:

I read on a variety of topics so do not have any favorites per say (May be one can say Ian Fleming). Made a video (using a naughty little model) on some of the books that I read recently or am reading:

I recently read Khaled Hosseini's works as well .About the situation and life of Afghanistan during the prev Taliban rule etc

1 hour ago, vayuu1 said:

India that is bharat by j sai deepak

Sanghi that never went to shakha by Rahul roshan

Lajja by taslima nasrin

Gandhi vadh kyu by Vinayak godse

Rangeela rasool by mahashe Rajpal

my kind of guy

I have read some of these books

Sitaram Goel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sita_Ram_Goel#Books_and_booklets

Arun Shourie who is co-opted bt the anti-feku mob now:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/a/arun-shourie/571140/

Meenakshi Jain

https://www.amazon.in/Books-Meenakshi-Jain/s?rh=n%3A976389031%2Cp_27%3AMeenakshi+Jain

Koenraad Elst:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/a/koenraad-elst/938129/

On 11/18/2021 at 10:12 PM, I6MTW said:

I noticed there aren't really much topics on literary works. So starting this to discuss one's favourite books and authors. Currently reading Murakami. Norwegian wood to be exact.

Norwegian Wood is the least Murakami like of all his major books.

Let me recommend a reading order:

1Q84

Kafka on the Shore

The Elephant Vanishes ( short stories)

Sputnik Sweetheart

Men without women

What I talk about when I talk about running. ( This has anecdotes from his life, also he drops hints of where he gets ideas for his other books).

Follow this order, if you haven't read the ones above. You will thank me later.

31 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

1Q84

Kafka on the Shore

Sputnik Sweetheart

Men without women

What I talk about when I talk about running. ( This has anecdotes from his life, also he drops hints of where he gets ideas for his other books).

Okay, this is my first experience with Murakami. I'll follow this order then after I finish Norwegian wood. 

My most recent book is Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh. I had only read his jokes book and articles here and there and don't know much about his writing. His late life image of a horny The book is dynamite! Less than 200 pages but contains very powerful prose and is riveting till the end. There are books which are like 800-1000 pages requiring you to read at-least a 100 pages to warm up to the story but there's no such issue with this one! Khushwant is a powerful writer who conveys a lot without saying too much.

On 11/25/2021 at 3:19 AM, Swag said:

Love fiction.

Some gems I've read,

Day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth

Kane and Abel - Jeffrey Archer

Wintermoon/ Watchers - Dean Koontz

A time to kill - John Grisham

All Agatha Christie books.

I read Day of the Jackal and a few other Forsyth books, The Odessa File among them. I also read a bunch of John Grisham books. They are very interesting and informative!

last read: Longitude - Dava Sobel

An outstanding account of one person's achievement that made maritime navigation accurate helping crews and ships stay on course, avoid shoals and islands in the night or through foggy days, eventually aiding them to make their voyages short and sweet by avoiding scurvy and stay alive.

Currently reading: A Terrible Beauty - Peter Watson

6 hours ago, nevada said:

I read Day of the Jackal and a few other Forsyth books, The Odessa File among them. I also read a bunch of John Grisham books. They are very interesting and informative!

Yep, have read The Odessa File, prefer Forsyth in that particular genre.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:33 AM, NameGoesHere said:

Read 2 books a week on average.  Don’t know where to start discussing this.  Probably a discussion by genre would make it more manageable. 

Feel free to start threads!  I'm sure there's a lot of readers on ICF.  Any Andy Weir fans here? Or Neal Stephenson?

On 11/23/2021 at 9:53 AM, Mariyam said:

1Q84

Kafka on the Shore

Sputnik Sweetheart

Men without women

Finished Norwegian Wood. Will start Kafka on the Shore next. 1Q84 wasn't available at my local library.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:33 AM, NameGoesHere said:

Read 2 books a week on average.  Don’t know where to start discussing this.  Probably a discussion by genre would make it more manageable. 

yes, it's a huge field. one could use the same thread to break things down by genre, or open a few separate threads.

On 11/22/2021 at 11:23 PM, Mariyam said:

1Q84

Kafka on the Shore

Sputnik Sweetheart

Men without women

To this excellent list, one can also add the underrated "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" in my opinion. On a related note, this book inspired one of my all-time fav anime series (Haibane Renmei).

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Verdict?

It was decent. I would say. A little misogynistic, but I heard Murakami is poor at writing woman, so I know what to expect. There were some unnecessary drama but overall I liked the storytelling and the open ending.I could understand the themes involved even though it was just probably meant to be a college love story.  So I would say good enough to read once,but I don't think I'd read it again.