Most beautiful drone footage of Mumbai ever recorded. Not as dense a skyline as Hong Kong, but looks as good or better than any European Capital

rangeelaraja

@rangeelaraja 

South Mumbai is relatively low on high rises. Most of the land is government owned and can't be given for redevelopment. There is also this 20 odd year rule about not building high-rises next to the coast. This rule isn't applicable on reclaimed land.

However, central Mumbai, which is far wider than South Mumbai, can be mistaken for lower Manhattan, especially when viewed from the sea link. Lemme post a vid for you the next time I cross the sea link at night with all the lights and stuff.

11 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@rangeelaraja 

South Mumbai is relatively low on high rises. Most of the land is government owned and can't be given for redevelopment. There is also this 20 odd year rule about not building high-rises next to the coast. This rule isn't applicable on reclaimed land.

However, central Mumbai, which is far wider than South Mumbai, can be mistaken for lower Manhattan, especially when viewed from the sea link. Lemme post a vid for you the next time I cross the sea link at night with all the lights and stuff.

@Mariyam

I think you are talking about the views on this video from 1.35.  This is on the sea link.

I agree with you, I got the same feeling when I lived in Jersey City which is literally 2 stops to Lower Manhattan.

The BIG difference is Mumbai still does not have too many steel and glass skyscrapers.

Most of Lower Manhattan skyline is steel and glass.  It looks more alluring.

There are several 100 250m + towers  under construction in the lower Parel area I believe. In my experience the best views are from Girgaum Chowpatty and not the sea link. But thats just me.

Edited by rangeelaraja

European capital cities are more about historical buildings. In Rome for example they are not allowed to build any building higher than St Peter's Basilica and in Paris they keep their high rise area La Defense away from the main city.

high raises are overrated. as someone has pointed out, paris and rome are far more historic and beautiful. I heard they hate skyscrapers in germany from some news article. Even NY is built that way due to lack of area. Whenever I see Dubai or Malaysia, it makes me vomit :sick: Concrete and steel junk made to show off their "status" but looks tacky and beyond over the top. not to mention its made out of south asian labor working in almost slave like conditions.

11 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

high raises are overrated. as someone has pointed out, paris and rome are far more historic and beautiful.

Unfortunately, If you have a colonial slave mindset, the white man's world will always be "more historic", even if your's is a 5000+ year old  great civilization.

If the white man in Europe preferred  endless glittering steel and glass skyscrapers, your mind will condition to think that it is what defines a beautiful city.

Even in your critique/ apparent abhorrence for skyscrapers, you mention Dubai and Malaysia, none of the major North American cities  - many of whom are full of steel and glass jungles - Toronto, Vancouver,Miami, NYC, Chicago ...etc etc. They are a sight to behold on a helicopter trip - if you get a chance you should go for it. 

Mumbai is not more beautiful over the sky than the European cities you revere because it has more skyscrapers necessarily - but because of the glorious water bodies that surround it from almost all sides, none better looking than the Queen's necklace aka Marine Drive.

Edited by rangeelaraja

5 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

Unfortunately, If you have a colonial slave mindset, the white man's world will always be "more historic", even if your's is a 5000+ year old  great civilization.

If the white man in Europe preferred  endless glittering steel and glass skyscrapers, your mind will condition to think that it is what defines a beautiful city.

Even in your critique/ apparent abhorrence for skyscrapers, you mention Dubai and Malaysia, none of the major North American cities  - many of whom are full of steel and glass jungles - Toronto, Vancouver,Miami, NYC, Chicago ...etc etc. They are a sight to behold on a helicopter trip - if you get a chance you should go for it. 

Mumbai is not more beautiful over the sky than the European cities you revere because it has more skyscrapers necessarily - but because of the glorious water bodies that surround it from almost all sides, none better looking than the Queen's necklace aka Marine Drive.

You are the one with colonial mindset and will always carry a chip on your shoulder. I said two places Rome and Paris and all of a sudden you type about my mindset :facepalm:FWIW I like historic places in India more which are in dilapidated conditions. Its easy to blame the white man but we are also responsible for not preserving our monuments. Some of the temples in India are over millennia old. Just because I didn't mention north american places doesn't mean I like them. Its doesn't matter what the white man says. Skyscrapers are still sh1t. But in places like NY, the lack of space demands such high raises so is the case with Mumbai. Not so much in Dubai and Kuala Lumpur. Especially Dubai which has tons of space lying around but raise a monument so ridiculously high its not even funny. Also Rome and Paris are not an Anglo construction. So your analysis is piss poor.

PS - I also left out Tokyo, Hong kong, Singapore, Shanghai, etc. So am I an East Asian agent now? Get a brain.

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

You are the one with colonial mindset and will always carry a chip on your shoulder. I said two places Rome and Paris and all of a sudden you type about my mindset :facepalm:FWIW I like historic places in India more which are in dilapidated conditions. Its easy to blame the white man but we are also responsible for not preserving our monuments. Some of the temples in India are over millennia old. Just because I didn't mention north american places doesn't mean I like them. Its doesn't matter what the white man says. Skyscrapers are still sh1t. But in places like NY, the lack of space demands such high raises so is the case with Mumbai. Not so much in Dubai and Kuala Lumpur. Especially Dubai which has tons of space lying around but raise a monument so ridiculously high its not even funny. Also Rome and Paris are not an Anglo construction. So your analysis is piss poor.

PS - I also left out Tokyo, Hong kong, Singapore, Shanghai, etc. So am I an East Asian agent now? Get a brain.

FFS, I used your own word(s), you said Rome and Paris are more "historic" . On what basis are they more historic ? You can weasel out now but you did use the word more historic for the capitals of those two  former colonial capitals. Please go look up the meaning of historic in any dictionary - it means "more important in history " or "famous". 

Calling former colonial capitals as "more important in history " or "famous"  when your own county ( presuming you are Indian ) has  a far more glorious civilization for several millennia when these colonial capitals were in the dark ages is ignorant. 

If you don't like skyscrapers it is your taste.  Skyscrapers are a necessity in densely populated metros where there is rapid urbanization and massive growth spurt.

I'll take modern Singapore any day over any damn European capital. 

Edited by rangeelaraja

Just now, rangeelaraja said:

FFS, I used your own word(s), you said Rome and Paris are more "historic" . On what basis are they more historic ? You can weasel out now but you did use the word more historic for the capitals of those two  former colonial capitals. Please go look up the meaning of historic in any dictionary - it means "more important in history " or "famous". 

Calling former colonial capitals as "more important in history " or "famous"  when your own county ( presuming you are Indian ) has  a far more glorious civilization for several millennia when these colonial capitals were in the dark ages is ignorant. 

If you don't like skyscrapers it is your taste.  Skyscrapers are a necessity in densely populated metros where there is rapid urbanization and massive growth spurt.

Give me a Singapore any day over any damn European capital. 

dude whats your problem. should i nver praise anything european or what. this is what i call having a chip on your shoulder. if anything, you're the one with colonial baggage. its been more than 70 years since independence and i'm a millenial. I don't see Rome or Paris as a colonial capital just places in Europe. You're missing the point that I don't like skyscrapers especially the one from Dubai.

if you are triggered by colonial past, you should also get triggered by the fact that south asians worked and still work in dubai and the rest of the middle east in slave like conditions and are treated like animals.

If i recall, BKC and some Andheri East area had best buildings and very organised. Some Building were 10 times more advanced then modern ones in UK. I remember being awed by ICICi guy showing off his open plan office (office as in whole building) full of plants park themed and ability to smoke on his desk.

Even flats in cuffe Parade had cctv and residents housewives used to talk if and which country they went to shopping. The parking lots were filled with cars I had never seen. It was before Tata Indica days. 

Not sure if Aarey Colony and Sanjay Gandhi National Park, still survives because that atea would look beautiful too.

PS: I was so uncomfortable to see that much wealth that I quickly moved out to Borivali to live with my friends. I can only imgaine what it will be like now.

Edited by mishra