The BCCI constitution bars its president from having any role in picking the national team, yet Ganguly allegedly participates in selection process

Sourav Ganguly oversteps crease and rules to sit in selection meetings

The BCCI constitution bars its president from having any role in picking the national team in order to retain the independence and autonomy of the selection committee

The BCCI constitution bars its president from having any role in picking the national team in order to retain the independence and autonomy of the selection committee. “The President is shorn of his say in selections,” the Supreme Court-approved constitution says. The only BCCI office-bearer authorised to be present is the secretary, who acts as a convenor without a say in selection.

However, The Indian Express spoke to three past and present selectors under Ganguly’s tenure, who confirmed that he was a regular feature at selection meetings. A senior BCCI functionary went to the extent of claiming that Ganguly has attended every selection meeting since he took over as BCCI president in October 2019.

Raising the issue of propriety, two selectors said Ganguly would log in for online selection meetings and “because of his stature and position, no one could object”. One of them revealed that they often felt “bullied” by his presence. “It made many committee members uncomfortable and guarded in expressing their opinion,” said the selector, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Multiple sources in the Indian board confirmed Ganguly’s presence at selection meetings. They said that considering the former captain’s stature — he played 113 Tests and 311 One-day Internationals — the less-experienced selectors were “reluctant to express their opinion”. This has undermined the power of Indian cricket’s all-important decision-making committee, they said.

5 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Sourav Ganguly oversteps crease and rules to sit in selection meetings

The BCCI constitution bars its president from having any role in picking the national team in order to retain the independence and autonomy of the selection committee

The BCCI constitution bars its president from having any role in picking the national team in order to retain the independence and autonomy of the selection committee. “The President is shorn of his say in selections,” the Supreme Court-approved constitution says. The only BCCI office-bearer authorised to be present is the secretary, who acts as a convenor without a say in selection.

However, The Indian Express spoke to three past and present selectors under Ganguly’s tenure, who confirmed that he was a regular feature at selection meetings. A senior BCCI functionary went to the extent of claiming that Ganguly has attended every selection meeting since he took over as BCCI president in October 2019.

Raising the issue of propriety, two selectors said Ganguly would log in for online selection meetings and “because of his stature and position, no one could object”. One of them revealed that they often felt “bullied” by his presence. “It made many committee members uncomfortable and guarded in expressing their opinion,” said the selector, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

Multiple sources in the Indian board confirmed Ganguly’s presence at selection meetings. They said that considering the former captain’s stature — he played 113 Tests and 311 One-day Internationals — the less-experienced selectors were “reluctant to express their opinion”. This has undermined the power of Indian cricket’s all-important decision-making committee, they said.

Gangu flaunting rules... Indian Express is generally quite reliable compared to some other rags

Lol Ganguly logged in online. Thats a step forward. Srini mama ke ghar ke italian leather ke sofa pe selection committee baithta tha.. and if he indeed sat in selection meetings and chose washington sundar, natrajan, shardul thakur for the tour of aus along with deciding to give shubman gill a debut and axar patel a chance in tests and surya kumar yadav a slot in t20..( after being neglected for 2 years) i salute him

Edited by neel roy

I don't understand the fuss about this kind of news now ( when those events have taken place  a long long time ago).

Yes, that is an issue that BCCI has to internally deal with.

So what? how does it concern a common fan if Ganguly sat in a selection committee. The only thing I am concerned as a fan is the best XI playing for team India. I don't give a damn if selection is made by BCCI president or some other person that I don't know. 

Procedures, rules etc are internal part of an organization. Common fans care about the productivity and what the team does on field. 

The only news fans will be concerned are if the players are working with bookies and underperforming or if the players are doing something unlawful (by the rules of cricket) and trying to win matches in wrong means.  These actions will rob me of my satisfaction as a fan and thats all I will be concerned about. Baaki sab Bakwaas.

10 hours ago, cricketfan28 said:

I believe in Ganguly dada he  is the reason we won the worldcup in 2011.

Actually if you see clearly yes he was. He gave debuts and chances to all these players

Bhajji : we all know

zak: icc 2001

yuvraj : picked immediately after splendid u21 wc in icc 2001 nairobi

sehwag ; we all know how he got him into test cricket opening in bloemfontein 

dhoni: we all know why he was promoted to no 3 against pak

these players were picked by dhoni dravid chappell later

sreesanth

raina

munaf ( eng series 2006)

pathan

piyush chawla

9 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Actually if you see clearly yes he was. He gave debuts and chances to all these players

Bhajji : we all know

zak: icc 2001

yuvraj : picked immediately after splendid u21 wc in icc 2001 nairobi

sehwag ; we all know how he got him into test cricket opening in bloemfontein 

dhoni: we all know why he was promoted to no 3 against pak

these players were picked by dhoni dravid chappell later

sreesanth

raina

munaf ( eng series 2006)

pathan

piyush chawla

why do people forget Gambhir always.. played a key role in both world cup wins

Lol at constitution. Its not Ambedkar written constituion that cannot be changed. Why cant board president attend a selection meeting? He is the head of the cricket in India and every right to attend any meeting.

Its like saying CEO of a company cannot attend team meetings. Ofcourse he can...he need not but if he wish to attend definitely he can.

Ganguly may have attended meetings to ensure Shastri/Kohli is not doing any dadagiri and I think its totally fine. I dont think he has influenced any selections so far but was simply there to oversee the process goes smoothly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, diga said:

why do people forget Gambhir always.. played a key role in both world cup wins

Gambhir actually was picked by sheer weight of his runs. He scored massively. I was only talking about picks by ganguly. What mayank did in 2018 breaking the door with runs, gambhir did it in 2006. By that time ganguly was not a captain

8 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Gambhir actually was picked by sheer weight of his runs. He scored massively. I was only talking about picks by ganguly. What mayank did in 2018 breaking the door with runs, gambhir did it in 2006. By that time ganguly was not a captain

Nope... Gambhir debuted under Ganguly in 2003 although he flourished under Dravid/Chappell regime with their focus on left handed batsmen. They gave more chances to Yuvi/Raina/Gambhir than say Kaif/Venugopal Rao/ or other right handed batsmen

5 minutes ago, diga said:

Nope... Gambhir debuted under Ganguly in 2003 although he flourished under Dravid/Chappell regime with their focus on left handed batsmen. They gave more chances to Yuvi/Raina/Gambhir than say Kaif/Venugopal Rao/ or other right handed batsmen

Yeah but similarly kaif although was a ganguly fav was picked by sachin if i m not wrong. Its to some extent nurturing which becomes important. 

26 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Lol at constitution. Its not Ambedkar written constituion that cannot be changed. Why cant board president attend a selection meeting? He is the head of the cricket in India and every right to attend any meeting.

Its like saying CEO of a company cannot attend team meetings. Ofcourse he can...he need not but if he wish to attend definitely he can.

Ganguly may have attended meetings to ensure Shastri/Kohli is not doing any dadagiri and I think its totally fine. I dont think he has influenced any selections so far but was simply there to oversee the process goes smoothly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

my only gripe with ganguly is he was in love with rahane and pujara till last day along with TM. Ganguly actually liked Pujara and played him in few matches for kkr. Also it was Ganguly who gave bhuvaneshwar kumar debut in ipl as a pune warriors player in 2011.. till then he was in fringes.  In his first match he took 2/14 in 3 overs and took out david hussey and shaun marsh in his absolute prime ( bowled)  and rest they say is ..

Dada has sau khoon maaf  after he has helped rid Indian cricket from the colossal mafia grip of our ex-captain and the now unemployed coach loudmouth.

Most likely the joker saying all this is that Kohli chamcha MSK Prasad as he was the chief selector from the time Dada took over as BCCI president. Last year that same  idiot was taking credit for the Australia series win 

He should instead have credited Ganguly for interfering in the team selections LOL

Ganguly is legend and is role in Indian cricket is unquestionable but he should stick to what he was elected. Selection should be left to selectors unless he wants to become one or expand his responsibility. Talking to cricketers on their careers should be left to Coach (Dravid here) or selectors. His role is bigger and should work on vision for Indian cricket. 

Apparently clear communication is not a skill that we have and by adding more people who interact with cricketers (for their career or role in team) is just going to make it messy.