Name your Test XI if you could, vs Australia.

Lets be honest, this test series is the dress rehearsal for the big series vs Australia.

I loved seeing the pitches in the Test series vs England at home last year after the first test, games over inside 3 days, every session is exciting. Give me more of this. I dont want us to prepare pitches to assist pace bowlers. It brings Australia into the game with a chance.

Here is the XI I would like.

Hitman (Captain)

Mayank

Gill

KL/Sundar

Iyer

Pant

Jaddu

Ash

Axar

Siraj

Bumrah

@express bowling@raki05@cricinfo@Vijy@Frustrated

Not much really to figure out here.

Rohit

Rahul( backup- Mayank)

Gill

Kohli

Vihari

Pant(wkt)

Jadeja( backup - Sundar)

Ashwin

Axar

Shami( backup - Siraj)

Bumrah( both pacers will play as opponent is Australia)

Three backups mentioned. Then you can add Shreyas Iyer, Prasidh Krishna and a backup keeper. That is all what the team would be.

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

Not much really to figure out here.

Rohit

Rahul( backup- Mayank)

Gill

Kohli

Vihari

Pant(wkt)

Jadeja( backup - Sundar)

Ashwin

Axar

Shami( backup - Siraj)

Bumrah( both pacers will play as opponent is Australia)

Three backups mentioned. Then you can add Shreyas Iyer, Prasidh Krishna and a backup keeper. That is all what the team would be.

There is. Iyer will definitely play ahead of Vihari.

Mayank has to play. KL's seniority, guarantees him a place.

Its months away, by then Kohli may have retired.

We must not give flat pitches to Aus no matter what. They can bat us out of the match if they win the toss. 

Prepare spinning pitches. Play Mayank and Iyer in place of Purane. Both are good against spin and great HTBs. 

Rohit

Rahul

Mayank

Kohli

Iyer

Pant

Jadeja

Ashwin

Axar

Shami

Bumrah

Batting till no.9, 3 world class spinners, 2 best pacers in Asian conditions, a good top 5 and an attacking Wkt keeper. 

This team will be unbeatable in spin friendly conditions! 

3 minutes ago, AuxiliA said:

We must not give flat pitches to Aus no matter what. They can bat us out of the match if they win the toss. 

Prepare spinning pitches. Play Mayank and Iyer in place of Purane. Both are good against spin and great HTBs. 

Rohit

Rahul

Mayank

Kohli

Iyer

Pant

Jadeja

Ashwin

Axar

Shami

Bumrah

Batting till no.9, 3 world class spinners, 2 best pacers in Asian conditions, a good top 5 and an attacking Wkt keeper. 

This team will be unbeatable in spin friendly conditions! 

2 best pacers in all conditions. All conditions bowlers. Not Asian. 

Remember we kicked Aussies ass on a fast pitch in 2017. Dharmashala. I don't think Aussies stand a chance on fast bouncy pitches in India either. They only have a chance to draw or win on a very flat deteriorating pitch if they bat first lik3 chennai vs england. It has to turn like crazy on day 4 and 5.

Edited by Jay
1 hour ago, SRT100 said:

There is. Iyer will definitely play ahead of Vihari.

Mayank has to play. KL's seniority, guarantees him a place.

Its months away, by then Kohli may have retired.

Vihari is ahead in reckoning to both Gill and Iyer. It is between Gill and Iyer for the remaining one spot, although their batting positions are different. The decision going into this test was whether to go with Vihari and Iyer combination or Gill and Vihari combination. Since Iyer was coming from performances in NZ home series and also good recent performances, he got a nod over Gill who was coming from injuries and his position before injury was also in question ( like in NZ series, he played only because 3-4 players were rested). So, this time around they made him wait.

Edited by Majestic
12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Remember we kicked Aussies ass on a fast pitch in 2017. Dharmashala. I don't think Aussies stand a chance on fast bouncy pitches in India either. They only have a chance to draw or win on a very flat deteriorating pitch if they bat first lik3 chennai vs england. It has to turn like crazy on day 4 and 5.

Remember that match clearly. My favorite test match pitch of all time! Had something for everyone. Plus the picturesque stadium. 

Aus were 144/1 on day 1 and were quickly running away with the match. Then Kuldeep broke their backs and picked up a 4-for on debut. Jadeja had an allround performance, Umesh was on fire in the 2nd innings and we won the match convincingly in the end. 

BUT if not for Kuldeep's 'mystery' spin, Aus would have ran away with that match on day 1 itself. That's the problem with giving them fast bouncy pitch.

3 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

By day 4, that Dharamshala pitch had a crack the size and girth of those we expect in perth and brisbane.

Yes but it didn't misbehave that much. What I liked about the pitch is that it helped both pacers and spinners equally on all days and a good batsman could still score on it. 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I hve a feeling aussies will play ashton agar and they shud as well with so many righty we have and the pace at which he bowls 

Ashton has been obsessed with trying to mimic Jadeja over the last few years.  Not sure why he isn't playing against Pak.

24 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Ashton has been obsessed with trying to mimic Jadeja over the last few years.  Not sure why he isn't playing against Pak.

Project cameron green ,they rate him highly and rightly so but currently he is undercooked for challenging conditions 

Against pak agar is a big miss specially when SLA have troubled them so much over the years 

54 minutes ago, AuxiliA said:

Remember that match clearly. My favorite test match pitch of all time! Had something for everyone. Plus the picturesque stadium. 

Aus were 144/1 on day 1 and were quickly running away with the match. Then Kuldeep broke their backs and picked up a 4-for on debut. Jadeja had an allround performance, Umesh was on fire in the 2nd innings and we won the match convincingly in the end. 

BUT if not for Kuldeep's 'mystery' spin, Aus would have ran away with that match on day 1 itself. That's the problem with giving them fast bouncy pitch.

Nha someone would have found a way. We were also playing under goat captain rahane. Unlike chewt kohli who ran away in that series. We would have won regardless of who played as a spinner or pacer. May I remind you our best bowler shami dint even play for that series. Aussies were lucky.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

yea no need for turners

this is a relentless  attack - shami, umesh, siraj, bumrah + jadeja, ash, axar (no weak link at all) 

We can beat any team at home with such attack on normal pitches . They have to play beyond their skills to go through this attack which only smith can but also has been struggling against short ball post archer blow. 

Add to that we have mayank n iyer who can finish their finger spinners