Pandya vs England-Australia-Pakistan

14 minutes ago, Vijy said:

yep, there are several such rumours. at the least, he certainly blocked them inadvertently by occupying one of the spots.

Who was the other pacer? Why couldn't Srinath take that spot alongside Kapil?

On 7/17/2022 at 1:05 PM, sandeep said:

"bits and pieces".  @putrevus 

He is bits and pieces player . what exactly has he done to prove otherwise. Stop giving these nonseniscal stats in 66 matches. Most of those matches he did nothing.No stats you show will make him a core player yet.What is his core skill batting or bowling?

Why are you in rush to prove otherwise. It took him 7 years to get here , about time for all  time invested on him.Let us see how he does in future.

Short answer again incase you want it to be repeated, he is still bits and pieces player.

Edited by putrevus
3 hours ago, zen said:

May have been forced into retirement as he would have liked to play in the '96 WC at home. I recall hearing "Kapil hai hai" chants during a game in India. Crowds did the "Shatri hai hai" but for Kapil, it was probably for the first time. Kapil immediately retired once he heard those chants. 

I don’t ever recall Kapil getting booed in India. It must be a wild imagination. The grapevine was that Azhar had to go to BCCI to ask for Kapil to retire as it was very clear he was a passenger and played last two years on borrowed time. He still had a great series in Aus and SA in the last two years. 

I was at the stadium when he broke Hadlee’s record against SL in Bengaluru. Kumble kept bowling wides to not take any wickets. Kapil finally reached his milestone . But nobody booed him ever. Everyone else at one point or other have been booed. I don’t think he retired because the crowd booed him. He was quietly talked into retirement after the milestone in Test cricket. He was holding off Srinath’s career as for 4 years Srinath bowled first change after Kapil and Prabhakar. Srinath got a 5fer the first time he got to bowl with the new ball. 

Edited by coffee_rules
1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

I don’t ever recall Kapil getting booed in India. It must be a wild imagination.

It is not about what you recall but my 1st hand account on hearing it live on TV. IIRC, the game was also in Faridabad, where Kapil has a good fan following. In fact, it was probably the 1st or 2nd game in the series (so he did not even wait for the series to complete).

1 hour ago, zen said:

It is not about what you recall but my 1st hand account on hearing it live on TV. IIRC, the game was also in Faridabad, where Kapil has a good fan following. In fact, it was probably the 1st or 2nd game in the series (so he did not even wait for the series to complete).

He got injured and called it quits,

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/india-v-west-indies-1994-95-151113

Kapil Dev had a sad match, which turned out to be his final international appearance; he damaged his hamstring in regaining the crease, after being mauled by Simmons while bowling, when he conceded 37 runs in five wicketless overs.

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

He got injured and called it quits,

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/india-v-west-indies-1994-95-151113

Kapil Dev had a sad match, which turned out to be his final international appearance; he damaged his hamstring in regaining the crease, after being mauled by Simmons while bowling, when he conceded 37 runs in five wicketless overs.

I know that (no need for a research). The point is that he was booed in that game … his bowling was crap and so was his batting iirc 

Players get injured. But the booing made him realize the need to hang his boots (He had no plans to retire as you must have read it “turned out” to be his last match in the match report you posted :winky: )

Edited by zen
51 minutes ago, zen said:

I know that (no need for a research). The point is that he was booed in that game … his bowling was crap and so was his batting iirc 

Players get injured. But the booing made him realize the need to hang his boots (He had no plans to retire as you must have read it “turned out” to be his last match in the match report you posted :winky: )

Come on, he played 356 international matches, you believe he retired because some jerks booed in the stadium. Whatever jhoome tumhari naiyya

33 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Come on, he played 356 international matches, you believe he retired because some jerks booed in the stadium. Whatever jhoome tumhari naiyya

Yes, he retired because he realized that he would continue to be booed like Shastri if he played more, realizing that his past reputation would not carry him further :nod:  

PS one of the most unwarranted career extension and then laughable retirement! 

Edited by zen
4 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

He came and told you this personally? :rotfl:

Difficult to hide behind “injury”  :rofl:

It is like “I will play on and on till I get injured. And once I get injured, no matter what the series is or the future plans of the team, I ll hang up” :lol: 

5 hours ago, zen said:

Difficult to hide behind “injury”  :rofl:

It is like “I will play on and on till I get injured. And once I get injured, no matter what the series is or the future plans of the team, I ll hang up” :lol: 

He had retired in tests already. Another injury and recovery, there will be hardly any motivation to play for a 35 year old

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

He had retired in tests already. Another injury and recovery, there will be hardly any motivation to play for a 35 year old

Fear of “Kapil hai hai” or he could have played till the 1996 WC in Ind (Like Imran-Hadlee who retired when closer to 40)

Anyways, it appears as if you do not “recall” much and need to “read” before posting … … … 

1 minute ago, zen said:

Fear of “Kapil hai hai” or he could have played till the 1996 WC in Ind (Like Imran-Hadlee who retired when closer to 40)

Anyways, it appears as if you do not “recall” much and need to “read” before posting … … … 

kthxbhai. Mast raho aap apni duniya mein.

On 7/19/2022 at 1:45 PM, putrevus said:

He is bits and pieces player . what exactly has he done to prove otherwise. Stop giving these nonseniscal stats in 66 matches. Most of those matches he did nothing.No stats you show will make him a core player yet.What is his core skill batting or bowling?

Why are you in rush to prove otherwise. It took him 7 years to get here , about time for all  time invested on him.Let us see how he does in future.

Short answer again incase you want it to be repeated, he is still bits and pieces player.

Still waiting for you to put up a list of top 5 ODI batsmen batting at #6 or lower over last 5 years.  

What statistical metric would you claim would separate a "proper" batsman from "bits and pieces"?  

Or, you can avoid talking facts and just keep parroting 'bits and pieces' over and over again like Baghdad Bob.

Lol Kapil might or might not have been booed....but Bandya has been booed in his home country for whom he was taking the knee....Wo bhi wo Nara laga ki hum pakistaniyo ke liey lagatey hai. Pandya murdabad Issey jayda ghor baijati kya ho sakti hai.:rotfl:

Edited by raki05
19 hours ago, raki05 said:

Lol Kapil might or might not have been booed....but Bandya has been booed in his home country for whom he was taking the knee....Wo bhi wo Nara laga ki hum pakistaniyo ke liey lagatey hai. Pandya murdabad Issey jayda ghor baijati kya ho sakti hai.:rotfl:

Only Gavaskar was booed when he dropped Kapil dev for Eden Gardens test in 1984/85. Kapil was not.  One of the specific shot by Simmons signalled that he was past. Fans were disappointed. No one booed him. Simmons had way too much time to play that shot. His pace was down. Even in Tests he prolonged his career to cross Richard Hadlee. People were critical of his overstay. They didn't boo him. In current era he would have played a little longer. Back in those days 1 bad year is enough to be sent home. It was not that even such a bad year for him. He was the most economical bowler for India even in his last year. Only Indian bowler to concede under 4 runs per over in 1994. He set the standards so high that his drop in performance was noticeable. He couldn't buy any wickets. Srinath and PRabakar were handling new ball. If he had retired in 1992 it would have been ideal.