Bilateral ODI’s: When will the torture end?

There is a match today and it is still going on and on in an empty stadium with both teams in auto pilot mode. Literally  Nothing at stake,

I have watched  20 mins of it in the morning and now while having my lunch.

What a torture. Not that the previous games were any better.

Time to say bye bye to bilateral ODIs. this is a torture.

Keep ODIs to WC or maybe a CT once in a while.

Edited by maniac
2 hours ago, maniac said:

There is a match today and it is still going on and on in an empty stadium with both teams in auto pilot mode. Literally  Nothing at stake,

I have watched  20 mins of it in the morning and now while having my lunch.

What a torture. Not that the previous games were any better.

Time to say bye bye to bilateral ODIs. this is a torture.

Keep ODIs to WC or maybe a CT once in a while.

I am liking it.

Good batting from Gill and Shreyas.

Fiery fast bowling by Siraj.

So many youngsters are able to showcase their talent. 

2 hours ago, zen said:

Happy for youngsters but ODIs have lost their charm. Ppl in Ind have lots of time on their hands so ttey are likely to swallow anything that is thrown at them (in a way keeps the navri ptaja busy)

agree. Not sure why people are taking an offense but it’s like watching a dying animal gasping in front of you.

firstly is this even sustainable? There are 0 crowds or audience interest, teams usually play their third string sides because the stars are rested for marquee games, it’s a business at the end of the day. The games 80% of the time (being generous) are dull and extremely low quality. 

obviously we are hardcore consumers of cricket. We might watch even Vikrant Gupta etc if there is no cricket going on. So we will accept any crap thrown at us.

However it’s just sad watching a normal odi game. There was a time I used to know by heart and track  how many 100’s Sachin, Jayasuriya, Anwar, Ponting,Lara,Mark Waugh etc had in ODIs. I don’t even remember the last to last odi series india played.

there is too much cricket content and amidst all that ODIs have lost their relevance apart from the WC. Am I too far from saying that?

all I am trying to say is it is clearly dying and as a business it doesn’t look sustainable. It is waiting for the plug to be removed. One must be blind not to see that. It’s not about the players or athletes participating in it.

3 hours ago, maniac said:

agree. Not sure why people are taking an offense but it’s like watching a dying animal gasping in front of you.

firstly is this even sustainable? There are 0 crowds or audience interest, teams usually play their third string sides because the stars are rested for marquee games, it’s a business at the end of the day. The games 80% of the time (being generous) are dull and extremely low quality. 

obviously we are hardcore consumers of cricket. We might watch even Vikrant Gupta etc if there is no cricket going on. So we will accept any crap thrown at us.

However it’s just sad watching a normal odi game. There was a time I used to know by heart and track  how many 100’s Sachin, Jayasuriya, Anwar, Ponting,Lara,Mark Waugh etc had in ODIs. I don’t even remember the last to last odi series india played.

there is too much cricket content and amidst all that ODIs have lost their relevance apart from the WC. Am I too far from saying that?

all I am trying to say is it is clearly dying and as a business it doesn’t look sustainable. It is waiting for the plug to be removed. One must be blind not to see that. It’s not about the players or athletes participating in it.

Yes, ODI may eventually need to reinvent itself or die (survival of the fittest)! 

It is hard to go by what masses think as it can be like the management versus factory workers situation. Most factory workers will have an opinion on how to run the plant (and also have advise for the management, at times even thinking themselves to be smarter based on limited information or perspective) but the management (the decision makers) would think differently based on a variety of factors, and can even lay people off or close the plant. 

ODIs are more sustainable than tests .  The problem is we play the likes of WI too often. I know the majority won't agree with what I say but I personally think IPL should be shortened back to only 8 teams and international t20 cricket should be scrapped . 

Test series should only be played where its profitable on an ad hoc basis(no WTC). 

ODIs should be the new tests with the World Cup retaining its primacy. There's just far too much cricket being played nowadays.