Iran

BacktoCricaddict

Support Iran women against their crazy govt. 

Also why drag in Indian Muslim women? Let them wear what they want unless they are against institution specific rules, govt has no right to tell people what to wear in normal day-to-day lives, what and what not to eat/drink etc. Moreover these bans will only provoke people into resisting more. I am against most kinds of bans ranging from beef ban, alcohol ban, gambling ban, ban on literature criticizing religion, animal sacrifice (bali) ban in temples etc. 

Of course rules specific to schools, colleges, exams, office should be respected by all, orgs like PFI just want to create trouble and some of these misguided female students are either being played or themselves want 2 minutes media attention. But shaming Indian Muslim women (broad spectrum) for wearing hijab is wrong (media is going overboard, also politicians as expected), it isn't even like niqaab/burqa. Just a damn scarf around one's head. Also have a couple of colleagues who wear full veil to the workplace but then remove them whilst working, they just wear them during travel to please elders in their family. Imagine what blanket bans on these veils will do to a huge chunk of educated Muslim women who want to work and contribute to society/country? Pretty sure their previous generation women were denied access to higher education and work, I only see progress in their cases. Moreover change must come from within, the more GOI presses this matter more will be the resistance from within the Muslim community. Religion is a sensitive issue in our country, one can't logically support blanket hijab ban on one hand and simultaneously have an anti-women stance in Sabarimala controversy. 

Edited by Gollum

29 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Support Iran women against their crazy govt. 

Also why drag in Indian Muslim women? Let them wear what they want unless they are against institution specific rules, govt has no right to tell people what to wear in normal day-to-day lives, what and what not to eat/drink etc. Moreover these bans will only provoke people into resisting more. I am against most kinds of bans ranging from beef ban, alcohol ban, gambling ban, ban on literature criticizing religion, animal sacrifice (bali) ban in temples etc. 

Of course rules specific to schools, colleges, exams, office should be respected by all, orgs like PFI just want to create trouble and some of these misguided female students are either being played or themselves want 2 minutes media attention. But shaming Indian Muslim women (broad spectrum) for wearing hijab is wrong (media is going overboard, also politicians as expected), it isn't even like niqaab/burqa. Just a damn scarf around one's head. Also have a couple of colleagues who wear full veil to the workplace but then remove them whilst working, they just wear them during travel to please elders in their family. Imagine what blanket bans on these veils will do to a huge chunk of educated Muslim women who want to work and contribute to society/country? Pretty sure their previous generation women were denied access to higher education and work, I only see progress in their cases. Moreover change must come from within, the more GOI presses this matter more will be the resistance from within the Muslim community. Religion is a sensitive issue in our country, one can't logically support blanket hijab ban on one hand and simultaneously have an anti-women stance in Sabarimala controversy. 

Don’t mix Sabarimala into this. It is not anti-women. There are many temples where males are not allowed. Just respect the pratha. There are many Aiyappa temples where there is no restrictions on women. Only in Sabarimala. 

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Don’t mix Sabarimala into this. It is not anti-women. There are many temples where males are not allowed. Just respect the pratha. There are many Aiyappa temples where there is no restrictions on women. Only in Sabarimala. 

You and me may say that. But enough women will disagree, they don't have a voice? IIRC even @beetle thought it was anti-women and she is a Hindu woman, surely has a say in this matter. 

Likewise even among Muslim women, there will be many interpretations about hijab. Not all will think it is anti-women. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

You and me may say that. But enough women will disagree, they don't have a voice? IIRC even @beetle thought it was anti-women and she is a Hindu woman, surely has a say in this matter. 

Likewise even among Muslim women, there will be many interpretations about hijab. Not all will think it is anti-women. 

do I get offended where men are not allowed in some temples? Only 5 temples in India are not permitting women. Not to outrage

On 10/6/2022 at 2:20 PM, coffee_rules said:

Wonder if Nupur ma'am checked first. 

https://www.opindia.com/2022/09/rana-ayyub-gets-slammed-by-muslim-users-on-twitter-for-saying-hijab-is-not-compulsory-in-islam/amp/

Assuming she means Rana Ayyub, I checked.  The search took 15 seconds.  Rana has expressed her solidarity with Iran's women and has taken a beating on social media from other Muslims for her stance.

https://i0.wp.com/www.opindia.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Screenshot-2-5.jpg?ssl=1

I don't know who Arfa and Saba are, so I couldn't check with their last names..  If I did, in less than a minute, I could've answered ma'am's question fully.

Not taking sides here.  It just irks me when people don't do their easy homework before spouting off on the internet. 

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

17 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Wonder if Nupur ma'am checked first. 

https://www.opindia.com/2022/09/rana-ayyub-gets-slammed-by-muslim-users-on-twitter-for-saying-hijab-is-not-compulsory-in-islam/amp/

Assuming she means Rana Ayyub, I checked.  The search took 15 seconds.  Rana has expressed her solidarity with Iran's women and has taken a beating on social media from other Muslims for her stance.

https://i0.wp.com/www.opindia.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Screenshot-2-5.jpg?ssl=1

I don't know who Arfa and Saba are, so I couldn't check with their last names..  If I did, in less than a minute, I could've answered ma'am's question fully.

Not taking sides here.  It just irks me when people don't do their easy homework before spouting off on the internet. 

Anna, do your homework. You are not on SM. Rana is crying hoarse about Hijab a choice in classrooms, not even a ban. She got burnt outside from her brethren after  supporting Iranian women over hijab, still stands by school girls to wear Hijab in classrooms. That is the hypocrisy being called out. 

Arfa is a theWire journalist, thinks hijab should be by choice, nobody has banned Hijab in India like Hijab has been made mandatory in Iran. The India case is only in classrooms for a few hours in some minute number of school. Isn’t it false equivalence? Look at Arfa’s message, she makes it sound like India has banned Hijab and Hindus are violating Muslim women wearing Hijab:

4 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Anna, do your homework. You are not on SM. Rana is crying hoarse about Hijab a choice in classrooms, not even a ban. She got burnt outside from her brethren after  supporting Iranian women over hijab, still stands by school girls to wear Hijab in classrooms. That is the hypocrisy being called out. 

But Nupur Sharma asked if Rana has stood in support of Iranian women's rights to ditch the hijab?  Answer is Yes, she has.  And it took 15 sec to find it.  That's all I was saying.

Plus, in this and the other thread about religious symbols, I have made my position clear.  To me, it is not about the hijab, it is about the freedom of expression as long as it does not hurt others.  Yes, there is no governmental ban in India and that is a false equivalence.  Yet, I think the classroom ban on the hijab and the bindi ban by convents should be criticized because it impinges on individual freedoms. 

7 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

But Nupur Sharma asked if Rana has stood in support of Iranian women's rights to ditch the hijab?  Answer is Yes, she has.  And it took 15 sec to find it.  That's all I was saying.

Look at the context of Rana’s support to Iranian women . By choice. That is not the Iranian women are fighting. By choice is a western liberal construct that is being falsified by Iranian women and French feministas. 

Edited by coffee_rules

19 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Look at the context of Rana’s support to Iranian women . By choice. That is not the Iranian women are fighting. By choice is a western liberal construct that is being falsified by Iranian women and French feministas. 

That is social/religious choice.  I was told from a young age that "if I didn't do Sandhyaavandam twice a day, I will be deemed a sinner."  I would be pissed even today if someone said I shouldn't do Sandhyaavandanam (I don't, but that is my choice). 

The difference is that, in Iran, religion and government have mixed. 

In convents that have banned the bindi, religion and authority have mixed.  What other reason could be there? 

In the college that banned hijab in the classroom, I am not really sure what the reasoning was, but it impinges on the students' religious freedom.  It's not a crime, but it should be called out, especially if it is a government college.

Finally, back to Nupur Sharma's question: 

Has Rana Ayyub stood in solidarity with Iranian women who want the choice to NOT wear the hijab? 

Answer is a clear Yes.  She has. 

Time taken to find answer: 15 seconds :-).

The real question should be:  why has Rana Ayyub taken so much criticism from so many in the Muslim community for supporting Iranian women's right to discard hijab-by-coercion?

29 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

That is social/religious choice.  I was told from a young age that "if I didn't do Sandhyaavandam twice a day, I will be deemed a sinner."  I would be pissed even today if someone said I shouldn't do Sandhyaavandanam (I don't, but that is my choice). 

The difference is that, in Iran, religion and government have mixed. 

In convents that have banned the bindi, religion and authority have mixed.  What other reason could be there? 

In the college that banned hijab in the classroom, I am not really sure what the reasoning was, but it impinges on the students' religious freedom.  It's not a crime, but it should be called out, especially if it is a government college.

Boss, the reason is in India the school is adhering to uniform in classrooms. Is that such a BFD? Nobody died with that rule as it did in Iran to equate the two issues. 

Finally, back to Nupur Sharma's question: 

Has Rana Ayyub stood in solidarity with Iranian women who want the choice to NOT wear the hijab? 

Answer is a clear Yes.  She has. 

Time taken to find answer: 15 seconds :-).

you cited both from articles from OpIndia, so clearly she knows that Rana is supporting Iranian women on Hijab and it  is a by choice issue  . You think she didn’t find it in 15 secs Google search like you did. Rana has clearly mentioned her support to Hijab in Iran is only on choice context. But she also mentions India in the same context. Nobody died here to equate the two. 

The real question should be:  why has Rana Ayyub taken so much criticism from so many in the Muslim community for supporting Iranian women's right to discard hijab-by-coercion?

Is that a rhetorical question ? You should know the answer