Iran

BacktoCricaddict

https://news.yahoo.com/iranian-women-cutting-off-hair-152600782.html

Iranian women are protesting the death of one of their own, Mahsa Amini.

Amini, a 22-year-old, died on Friday, three days after being arrested by Iran's morality police. These police officers have all the powers of a law enforcement agency and are in charge of enforcing the country's strict dress code mandates for women, including wearing a hijab in public to cover one's hair and neck.

Amini was taken to the Vozara Street Detention Center Tuesday to be educated about the hijab, Tehran Police said, per CNN. But while in custody, Amini collapsed and was taken to the hospital, where she later died. Local police claimed she suffered a heart attack, while her family said she had no prior heart conditions and witnesses accused officers of beating her, per the BBC.

14 hours ago, gattaca said:

Strange how woman in India wants to wear hijab but the original Muslims don’t want to.

I think it has less to do with not wanting the hijab itself, and more to do with religious coercion that one *must* wear it.  If a Muslim woman wants to wear a Hijab - for whatever reason - that is her choice and it is not anyone's place to question it.  If a Muslim woman does not want to wear a Hijab - for whatever reason - that is her choice and it is not anyone's place to question it.   

Whichever Iranian i have met in the uk has been extremely modern in outlook. Man or woman. 

My sample size may not be representative as i interact with academics (phd students/ lecturers) who have a middle class to rich backgrounds.

As posters say, it is a complicated country....

Seen this with Turkish people as well. 50% liberal than even the west 50% very conservative muslims. No middle ground...

14 hours ago, gattaca said:

Strange how woman in India wants to wear hijab but the original Muslims don’t want to.

Has it ever occuurred, why in West and developing nation democracies, media supports anyone calling for Hizab or any other Muslim practice as matter of Faith but as soon as its Iran, media comes together and start giving voice to those who call the same practicess regressive.

22 minutes ago, mishra said:

Has it ever occuurred, why in West and developing nation democracies, media supports anyone calling for Hizab or any other Muslim practice as matter of Faith but as soon as its Iran, media comes together and start giving voice to those who call the same practicess regressive.

Perhaps the contradiction goes away if we looked at it differently:  Conservative Western Christian politicians talk about banning the Hijab whereas the conservative Muslim rulers in Iran talk about banning the non-Hijab. In both cases, the protest is against the bans and not against the Hijab itself. 

10 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Perhaps the contradiction goes away if we looked at it differently:  Conservative Western Christian politicians talk about banning the Hijab whereas the conservative Muslim rulers in Iran talk about banning the non-Hijab. In both cases, the protest is against the bans and not against the Hijab itself. 

My question was about Western media  propagating to people speaking for regressive practices in West but as soon as its Iran, tables are turned.

2 hours ago, mishra said:

My question was about Western media  propagating to people speaking for regressive practices in West but as soon as its Iran, tables are turned.

I think what I was trying to say (and didn't do a good job of it) was that the media is protesting coercion rather than the Hijab itself.  They are protesting the non-Muslim majority in power in the West trying to bring Hijab bans, and are protesting the Iranian government for their draconian hijab mandates.    

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

4 hours ago, G_B_ said:

Whichever Iranian i have met in the uk has been extremely modern in outlook. Man or woman. 

My sample size may not be representative as i interact with academics (phd students/ lecturers) who have a middle class to rich backgrounds.

As posters say, it is a complicated country....

Seen this with Turkish people as well. 50% liberal than even the west 50% very conservative muslims. No middle ground...

80% Persians are liberal and most are moderately religious ..

remaining 20% are hardcore ( associated with government directly or indirectly ) and many of them pretend to be religious