Indian cricket team is heading in the same direction as the English national football team.

jalebi_bhai

Some crazy parallels:

1. Run by two of the richest sporting organizations in the sport - ✓

2. Richest domestic premier league - ✓

3. Crazy depth in talent - ✓

4. Superstar culture - ✓

5. Good record in bilaterals/friendlies - ✓

6. Perennial underachievers in major tournaments - ✓

7. Cliques and lobbies within squad - ✓

8. Idiotic coaching staff/team management that plays an archaic/outdated brand of sport - ✓

9. Crazy, unjustified media hype for team - ✓

10. Perpetually frustrated fan base - ✓

India has had more success historically since cricket is primarily a sport played by the commonwealth countries but all markers suggest we're heading the way of the English football team. 

2 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Very weak response!!.

And how many U-19s are having a decent career now?. What trophies has that resulted in now?

That's not a lack of depth problem. It's largely a tactical and strategic issue. When management backs the wrong player for the wrong roles, you get these repeated failures.

FFS, when you back Rahane as your opener in t20 WC knockouts, what do you expect will happen?

3 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

And how many U-19s are having a decent career now?. What trophies has that resulted in now?

Because we are very poor at developing the raw talent into finished products. 

I follow the fast bowlers very closely. Some cases ....

Prasidh Krishna, 6'3" bouncy quick,  averaging 17 in FC cricket, has plated just 11 FC matches 7 years after FC debut. Vinay, Mithun and Aravind hogged the spots for years. 

Siraj did not get play play tests for Team India for 2 years after he picked 40 freaking wickets from 5 Unifficial Tests for India A.

Kuldeep Sen, another 6'3" rapid bowler, has played just 12 List A matches by age 26. Now that he is getting chances, he has picked 18 wickets from 6 matches this season and is breathing fire. We had been clamouring for him for the lsst 3 years. 

U19 star, Kartik Tyagi, 6'2" rapid bowlers, was benched for short trundler Aquib Khan in this VHT despite a good SMAT. Now that he has got chances, he has 5 wickets from 3 matches and is bowling really well.

I can go on and on but you get the general picture. 

48 minutes ago, Norman said:

Bro we won a 4 match test series in Australia with a C string side. In Tests and ODIs, no team even comes close to the sheer depth we currently have. 

I could be wrong.  But that test series win down under looked like a fluke. We would lose 9/10 times in Aus, I think.  My assessment is based on what happened on our subsequent tour to SA; followed by the one off test in Eng.   

And in addition to all this, our terrible test record in Nz.  

13 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I could be wrong.  But that test series win down under looked like a fluke. We would lose 9/10 times in Aus, I think.  My assessment is based on what happened on our subsequent tour to SA; followed by the one off test in Eng.   

India won that series primarily because senior players were injured or in Kohli's case gone AWOL.

Had we stuck with the old and tired formula of our lineup we would have lost, not even sure Pant would have played even.

If anyone in here wants India to succeed, the only chance of that is senior players to get injured.

13 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Nonsense. No test victory is "fluke". You outplay your opponent over 5 days, 4 innings and more than 400 overs. 

And our defeat in South Africa had more to do with nonsensical selections (pujara, Rahane) than anything. 2-2 in England is not a bad result. 

1 hour ago, Stan AF said:

Very weak response!!.

That was not your point though. 'Talent' in any sport refers to the presence of youngsters who have the potential to make it big at the big stage. And our youngsters have been constantly outperforming the ones from other countries. 

So us not winning any big trophies has more to do with the tactics and management as few other posters have mentioned above.. 

3 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

India won that series primarily because senior players were injured or in Kohli's case gone AWOL.

Had we stuck with the old and tired formula of our lineup we would have lost, not even sure Pant would have played even.

If anyone in here wants India to succeed, the only chance of that is senior players to get injured.

It was almost the same team which played in SA (except Siraj who got injured and could play only 2 tests in SA).    Pant and Thakur played in SA as well. We still lost. 

7 minutes ago, Norman said:

Nonsense. No test victory is "fluke". You outplay your opponent over 5 days, 4 innings and more than 400 overs. 

And our defeat in South Africa had more to do with nonsensical selections (pujara, Rahane) than anything. 2-2 in England is not a bad result. 

OK.   And what about Nz?

1 hour ago, Stan AF said:

We don't have talented leg spinners. No decent off break bowlers as well.

We don' have batsmen who can bowl or bowlers who can bat decently, let alone proper all-rounders like stokes/mitchell marsh etc

Fast bowling is another area of concern.

Our batsman cannot or won't take risks/hit huge sixers

We have several leg spinners in domestic cricket, off spinners are now obsolete everywhere. Plenty of seam bowling alrounders too. At least 20 genuine fast bowlers. Lack many big hitters because we still play cricket in traditional way. 

You need proper planning talent identification and making sure they progress well from board but that's not happening.

1 hour ago, jalebi_bhai said:

That's not a lack of depth problem. It's largely a tactical and strategic issue. When management backs the wrong player for the wrong roles, you get these repeated failures.

FFS, when you back Rahane as your opener in t20 WC knockouts, what do you expect will happen?

This has been said by every poster here over and over for quite some time now. I'm sorry I don't buy this. The talent here is pretty average to say the least.

Indian players and whatever talents we might have produced or all overexposed by the time they get to play 6-7 years for India and are easily found out by other teams thanks to IPL and other bilaterals. In recent times even the likes of Kohli who was touted to be beating 100 100s has struggled to find form for 3 years only to play one good knock against Pakistan in this wc and to again flounder against england by making a 40 ball 50 ruining a semifinal game.  Even dhoni was found out by 2013 and was pretty much a passenger in the side for the last 4 years in his career.

Kuldeep who had a a gun 2 years got bashed by moeen and cried like a baby in IPL only to ruin his selection chances for indian cricket.

I can also go on and on but unless we start winning something this is all a waste of time to talk about talents.

11 minutes ago, Norman said:

That was not your point though. 'Talent' in any sport refers to the presence of youngsters who have the potential to make it big at the big stage. And our youngsters have been constantly outperforming the ones from other countries. 

So us not winning any big trophies has more to do with the tactics and management as few other posters have mentioned above.. 

You pretty much take the same team to NZ or SA or england they won't be winning any there.