Kapil is right: Gavaskar on players royalties

sage

57 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

It's fine cashing in but crickets popularity now is at an all time low ,at least in the times i have seen.No one of my family or friends care about cricket even t20s or wcs or ind pak .Wont be surprised if we see a steep decline in the coming decades.

Crickets popularity is at an All Time Low yet the Money that Cricketers are making today is highest than it has ever been. Millions of dollars for playing IPL is not a sign of declining popularity. 

IPL broadcast deals going for Billions. 

Edited by javier26
6 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

It's fine cashing in but crickets popularity now is at an all time low ,at least in the times i have seen.No one of my family or friends care about cricket even t20s or wcs or ind pak .Wont be surprised if we see a steep decline in the coming decades.

Current generation and the next simply has too many entertainment/sport options as a viewer, and the elites and aspiring elites in urban India have for years exhibited a fondness for larping as "futbol" fans for European leagues as a marker of their 'fashionable taste'.  

The IPL has delayed the inevitable diversification and shift away from cricket and the 'city' team loyalty aspect has helped significantly.  But the longterm trend is unstoppable.

This is just old men ranting about missed opportunities. Did they own the content or did they sign any royalty fees with the owner of broadcasting rights of that time (assuming DD or Channel Nine etc) or with BCCI. IP of music producers (lyricists, singers, etc) have contracts with those who purchase the music rights for royalty, You can't demand one now. Also, these people have charity games and also get BCCI pension (one time pay) . They are just being bitter seeing current monies in the sport.

14 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

This is just old men ranting about missed opportunities. Did they own the content or did they sign any royalty fees with the owner of broadcasting rights of that time (assuming DD or Channel Nine etc) or with BCCI. IP of music producers (lyricists, singers, etc) have contracts with those who purchase the music rights for royalty, You can't demand one now. Also, these people have charity games and also get BCCI pension (one time pay) . They are just being bitter seeing current monies in the sport.

Yeah, Gavaskar is always looking for an angle. The players were paid to play. The people who paid them to play have to make money too, that's why they sell television rights. While yesteryear players are justified in feeling that players make big money these days without their level of accomplishments, what this earlier generation made wasn't peanuts either. Kapil was an enterprising type who invested his money well and set up profitable businesses as well. He was even involved with the short lived ICL and must have gotten compensated handsomely for it. Many cricketers had their national careers terminated due to involvement in the ICL. Did Kapil ever wonder if he is responsible for their loss because they joined it seeing a heavy-weight like him associated with it? Did he wonder if he should maybe compensate them for their loss?

Edited by nevada
5 minutes ago, nevada said:

Yeah, Gavaskar is always looking for an angle. The players were paid to play. The people who paid them to play have to make money too, that's why there sell television rights. While yesteryear players are justified in feeling that players make big money these days without their level of accomplishments, what these earlier generation made wasn't peanuts either. Kapil was an enterprising type who invested his money well and set up profitable businesses as well. He was even involved with the short lived ICL and must have gotten compensated handsomely for it. Many cricketers had their national careers terminated due to involvement in the ICL. Did Kapil ever wonder if he is responsible for their loss because they joined it seeing a heavy weight like him associated with it? Did he wonder if he should maybe compensate  them for their loss?

He goes around inaugurates stores and shops and I hear charges an exorbitant amount money. Not that there’s anything wrong with it I don’t think BCCI or any state board has asked for a cut in that money as they were responsible for his success by selecting him to play. I am sure the ‘83 producers have paid him good money for his kind of biopic. He is a rich man invested in many businesses. 

https://www.livemint.com/Leisure/uCt32ks5VDvBYe2MeKKGPP/Kapil-Dev-An-allrounder-even-in-his-business-ventures.html

I think it looks petty of him complaining about some footage shown in some tv show. That royalty will be paid to the owner of that production (BBC or DD) , and not to him unless he has a contract with them for royalty

9 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

Not the right assesment, not even close, stadiums are packed even for these old legends road safety series, people come in to watch Yusuf Pathan, binny, munaf, Nikhil chopra etc. 

This is stupid from Kapil & Gavaskar. At the end of the day, they were employed by BCCI and compensated per the norms of the day.

There are tons of matches that India lost because of them, which hardly get mentioned because of obvious reasons. 

What has wins and losses by team got to do with media using players names and footage without compensating them. Players were under contract to play for the team and it has got nothing to do with their usage of their images and footage.

If any channel/entity is benefitting from using that footage or image then those players are entitiled to get part of it.

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

What has wins and losses by team got to do with media using players names and footage without compensating them. Players were under contract to play for the team and it has got nothing to do with their usage of their images and footage.

If any channel/entity is benefitting from using that footage or image then those players are entitiled to get part of it.

Yes, it’s petty to think that they don’t deserve royalty because they lost matches. But it is the question of legality. There is nothing in their contract or any provisions to pay the players directly. If at all any money is paid, there will be some royalty given to who owns the footage rights. And that is not the players for sure. You can see so many YT channels taken down by YT because they violated copyright laws

Edited by coffee_rules
40 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Yes, it’s petty to think that they don’t deserve royalty because they lost matches. But it is the question of legality. There is nothing in their contract or any provisions to pay the players directly. If at all any money is paid, there will be some royalty given to who owns the footage rights. And that is not the players for sure. You can see so many YT channels taken down by YT because they violated copyright laws

Nothing was in contract that is why Sunny was talking about the SC verdict. BCCI itself had to fight to get out Doordarshan's stranglehold in 1993 and who can forget indian telegraph act of 1885 card which DD kept playing and would have  played that card even today if it was allowed.

Players like Kapil Dev did their part in creating this powerhouse and they should get part of it.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Nothing was in contract that is why Sunny was talking about the SC verdict. BCCI itself had to fight to get out Doordarshan's stranglehold in 1993 and who can forget indian telegraph act of 1885 card which DD kept playing and would have  played that card even today if it was allowed.

Players like Kapil Dev did their part in creating this powerhouse and they should get part of it.

He was not alone , 22 players, 10 different teams, he doesn’t own the IP, but whoever got the rights, most likely BBC has the rights. Plus the movie producers seems paid him 5 crores  for his story and all players got it. KP and Sunny are just bitter and doing old geezers talk. 

If I am not wrong, just in ODIs, Ind has had close to 250 unique players … From Kapil and Gavaskar’s PoV, each one would have to be paid something when something somewhere is shown … I mean this entitled bunch probably thinks that just getting a debut should create passive income :rofl: 

Edited by zen
3 hours ago, zen said:

If I am not wrong, just in ODIs, Ind has had close to 250 unique players … From Kapil and Gavaskar’s PoV, each one would have to be paid something when something somewhere is shown … I mean this entitled bunch probably thinks that just getting a debut should create passive income :rofl: 

Unlike a TV show such as Seinfeld where actor Jerry was one of the producers as well, I doubt anyone else who features in any media content makes money whenever it is aired on TV. If anything, the WC 1983 content when shown by current media channels makes the present generation appreciate Kapil and indirectly enhances his brand value, which he uses to endorse products as diverse as golf resort Plots near Hyderabad! 

9 hours ago, nevada said:

Unlike a TV show such as Seinfeld where actor Jerry was one of the producers as well, I doubt anyone else who features in any media content makes money whenever it is aired on TV. If anything, the WC 1983 content when shown by current media channels makes the present generation appreciate Kapil and indirectly enhances his brand value, which he uses to endorse products as diverse as golf resort Plots near Hyderabad! 

Seinfeld actors don't get paid  because they did not negotiate that in their contract. One other hand Friends tv show which are around same time as Seinfeld actors are still getting paid for reruns as they negotiated that in their contracts. Now it is industry standard  and IMO that is what Sunil is talking about getting player residual incomes. 

Gavaskar may be many things but he was/is always about wanting players getting maximum benefit.

Edited by putrevus