ICC should bring back the Quarter-Finals!

zen

At the ICC world cups, it has been a long time since we have had QFs, which create a unique challenge of having to win 3 consecutive KO games to win a title. Also too many good teams have missed out on KOs due to minor factors such as NRR, rain, an upset (associates are getting better), etc. Having QFs also mitigates the risk of lopsided groups (the group of death for e.g.) relatively. 

On the negative side, group games would lose some of their importance but usually, groups are about a key game here and there with a focus on factors such as NRR, etc. Groups should be about focusing and priming for the QFs. 

Weighing the pros and cons, QFs offer more to ICC World Cups! 

Edited by zen
12 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

For having quarter finals, we need 8 teams. For 8 teams to qualifying, we need to have atleast 16 teams to play. Joker ICC wants a 10 team mini event instead.

Not really, 1996-2011 had QF's & we definitely did not have 16 teams then! The reason QF are gone because ICC wants India to play as many games as possible - another reason why I absolutely hate this fixing of the groups & just how BS the "ICC trophies" are now :whack2:

They're basically glorified multilateral tourneys like we had in the 80/90's just that the idea is to maximize revenues now from the Indian market :hitler:

4/5 World trophies in 4 years, what a *ing joke :hmpf:

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

Not really, 1996-2011 had QF's & we definitely did not have 16 teams then! The reason QF are gone because ICC wants India to play as many games as possible - another reason why I absolutely hate this fixing of the groups & just how BS the "ICC trophies" are now :whack2:

They're basically glorified multilateral tourneys like we had in the 80/90's just that the idea is to maximize revenues now from the Indian market :hitler:

4/5 World trophies in 4 years, what a *ing joke :hmpf:

They can still schedule group games along with QFs

7 minutes ago, Serpico said:

They can still schedule group games along with QFs

Yes but for that they'll need at least two groups, they want India to play at least 10-12 games & that's why they've done away with QF as far as I'm concerned. I'd prefer QF to come back, especially in WT20 but ICC's never been about growing the game or showcasing the best cricketing spectacle!

If a team wins 3 KO's they deserve to lift the trophy but as we saw with Pak in 2017, Oz in 2021 or Pak again in 2022 a few lucky games can lead them to a final - that makes a mockery of these "ICC trophies" :whack3:

Edited by R!TTER

Terms like “fluke” should be avoided in sports (per some 1983 was a fluke but I think any team that wins a tournament deserves to win it). Big events are about knockouts, the more the better! 

12-16-20 teams, divided into 2 or 4 groups (per the # of teams), QFs, SFs, & F. 

Super 6 or 8 is a way to increase the # of games to generate more revenues while adding an element of potential boredom to the tournament. 

20 hours ago, zen said:

Terms like “fluke” should be avoided in sports (per some 1983 was a fluke but I think any team that wins a tournament deserves to win it). Big events are about knockouts, the more the better! 

12-16-20 teams, divided into 2 or 4 groups (per the # of teams), QFs, SFs, & F. 

Super 6 or 8 is a way to increase the # of games to generate more revenues while adding an element of potential boredom to the tournament. 

QFs make group games boring as we pretty much know who top 8 teams will be.

Its effectively a 7 match tournament

10 minutes ago, Lord said:

QFs make group games boring as we pretty much know who top 8 teams will be.

Its effectively a 7 match tournament

There would a few interesting games  as there would be upset, there would be some key games with teams wanting to finish in the top 2 to play the bottom 2 from the other group. 

ICC world cups are not annual league tournaments. Knockouts should ideally be the focus. 

Edited by zen

The day SA lost to WI in 1996, qf template died for me.

argument can be made for india knocking out defending champs and pre tournament favs Pak too but at least india at home are always favorites so it’s not that surreal.

however qf is a bigger lottery.