Commentators finally point fingers at Kohli and KL

zen

After slowing down to reach his milestone (and that too in a T20 game) in the game v LSG, which cost his teams valuable deliveries:

Simon Doull

FtYteUNaMAEE-J8?format=jpg&name=900x900

Harsha Bhogle on Kohli

Tweet: This game confirms everything we have been talking about strike rates. Kohli 61(44), eventual SR of 139 but got 16(15) at the end. Du Plessis 79(46) eventual SR of 172 but was 33(30). Those balls don't come back. And #RCB were short in the end. It is not about the eventual SR.

In the same game another notorious slow starter, KL, made 18 off 20 balls w/ his team chasing 213. Murali Karthik was upfront with KL about his slow start in the presentation.

Harsha Bhogle on KL

Tweet: So you see, like with KL Rahul today, many times you use up deliveries at the top and don't get the finish. That is why using up balls assuming you will get a finish is a poor choice, especially in a 200 kind of game. If you do get a finish, effectively, you've got out of jail.

Edited by zen

KL is the easy target I feel.

it’s a double edged sword. Ever since Rohit started scoring 30(16) 20(11) type knocks he is criticized as out of form.

about time to admit we don’t have guys who can go from ball 1 and still score big.

Even Tewatiya or Rinku I don’t see them have that ability despite those magical knocks. They looked clueless till the magic moment. They are the T20 version of Nair’s 300. I already see a dangerous trend with some bandwagoning for Rinku. We have had too many one season wonders.

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

KL is the easy target I feel.

it’s a double edged sword. Ever since Rohit started scoring 30(16) 20(11) type knocks he is criticized as out of form.

about time to admit we don’t have guys who can go from ball 1 and still score big.

Even Tewatiya or Rinku I don’t see them have that ability despite those magical knocks. They looked clueless till the magic moment. They are the T20 version of Nair’s 300. I already see a dangerous trend with some bandwagoning for Rinku. We have had too many one season wonders.

They are discussing top order batsman (#1-3), who get to bat in PP on good batting surfaces, not MO (#4-7), who need to play per the situation (20/3 or 120/3). 

The players you discussed (Rohit, Kohli, & KL) are not a part of the current T20 setup and have been replaced by the likes of Gill, Kishan, Samson, Tripathi, Pant, etc. 

These guys are being discussed from the IPL PoV and how their playing style continues to negatively impact their teams. 

8 minutes ago, zen said:

They are discussing top order batsman (#1-3), who get to bat in PP on good batting surfaces, not MO (#4-7), who need to play per the situation (20/3 or 120/3). 

The players you discussed (Rohit, Kohli, & KL) are not a part of the current T20 setup and have been replaced by the likes of Gill, Kishan, Samson, Tripathi, Pant, etc. 

These guys are being discussed from the IPL PoV and how their playing style continues to negatively impact their teams. 

Gill is ahead of Rahul absolutely on form, confidence and considering future upside. However his batting style is not much different from Rohit or Kohli. They are as destructive and unstoppable or probably more  as Gill when set. However as I said on current form and other factors sure. I don’t know where you saw a Butler in Gill.

Kishen: outside of the 200 against the mighty Bangla on a flat track he hasn’t done much on either side of it. However is a leftie and keeps so he has value.

samson: same as Kishen on value. Extremely inconsistent even in IPL and didn’t convert opportunities. 

Tripathi; great for IPL and has the right attitude but from what I have seen against international pace in international games…. I will leave it there.

Pant: uncertain future for the short term but future megastar of ICT.

All these guys have enough experience, potential and upside and I don’t mind them for international T20s. They will get their shot because the big 2 are already done with T20 as per selectors. However it is ridiculous to even think the names you mentioned except Gill will get to play over them as the format gets longer. 

Rahul still has some utility to offer. Can keep and can hit 6s against pace. The orange cap has destroyed his career. If Rahane etc can have a resurgence in this format then I can’t just get myself to give up on KL as much as he has let us down.

2 hours ago, maniac said:

Gill is ahead of Rahul absolutely on form, confidence and considering future upside. However his batting style is not much different from Rohit or Kohli. They are as destructive and unstoppable or probably more  as Gill when set. However as I said on current form and other factors sure. I don’t know where you saw a Butler in Gill.

Rahul still has some utility to offer. Can keep and can hit 6s against pace. The orange cap has destroyed his career. If Rahane etc can have a resurgence in this format then I can’t just get myself to give up on KL as much as he has let us down.

We are only discussing T20s (and mainly IPL here). As for ODIs, post this 2023 ODI WC, India is expected to look at the future too so the likes of Rohit probably only have a few months left before they are phased out (therefore, at this point, such players are not worth discussing IMO). The likes of KL are expected to be slotted in the MO in ODIs. 

As for Gill, Gill is Gill (he does not need to be a Buttler, who is a much-experienced player. X does not need to be Y, and so on). We are not selecting players here but discussing how commentators are pointing out the SR of the usual offenders (Rohit, Kohli, & KL sunk Ind's boat in the recent T20 WC SF too).  

If some ppl like to think that Rohit is the best option, it does not matter as he is not part of the current T20 setup (and likely to be phased out in ODIs too). If some ppl like to think that KL should be reconsidered for the T20s, it does not matter as it depends on his performances. India is considering various players including the likes of Rituraj (expected to get a run). 

This topic is basically about commentators finally pointing fingers at the usual offenders! It is good to see a spade being called a spade in Indian cricket. 

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

Why would anyone want to slow down for an irrelevant 50 when your team’s two points are on the line and when it lost the previous game badly … That probably shows a questionable mindset. 

Because of fans in crowd..Fans want a moment to clap and cheer their favourite player. When they reach 50, they can cheer. Crowds start cheering after standing up when Kohli will get to 49. It is a case of personal milestone giving them more happiness than winning.. Remember last IPL, Kohli had 6-7 failures and then he played a selfish 50 odd knock and everyone in the crowd (including the celebrities) were cheering.

"Kohli ka 50 dekh liya, Paisa vasool ho gaya". That's fans mentality.

Edited by Majestic

55 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Because of fans in crowd..Fans want a moment to clap and cheer their favourite player. When they reach 50, they can cheer. Crowds start cheering after standing up when Kohli will get to 49. It is a case of personal milestone giving them more happiness than winning.. Remember last IPL, Kohli had 6-7 failures and then he played a selfish 50 odd knock and everyone in the crowd (including the celebrities) were cheering.

Hero worshipping is the biggest issue in Indian cricket, players know it and they use that to their advantage.

On 4/11/2023 at 4:25 AM, zen said:

Why would anyone want to slow down for an irrelevant 50 when your team’s two points are on the line and when it lost the previous game badly … That probably shows a questionable mindset. 

On 4/11/2023 at 5:54 AM, Majestic said:

Kohli is a a slow starter by current T20 standards, but he does not slow down for milestones. Bishnoi and Krunal were tight, and Kohli (and Faf) are not good players of spin

He went from 97 to 103 with a 6 to get his first ODI ton in years vs Bang in Dec last year, and 94 to 100 with a 6 to get that first ton in ages vs Afghanistan in T20. Doull is wrong, The idea that he would slow down for a meaningless IPL 50 makes no sense. 

We know he is not a natural big hitter the change of pace of ball coming on to the bat from Wood to the two spinners would take some adjusting to for him to time the ball. Yes he should have maintained some kind of better momentum, but it was not for lack of trying, certainly not in pursuit of a cheap milestone

Edited by Sooda