Karate Kid's transformation ?

14 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

It's fated that he returns to the team in possibly all formats now and those who dropped him forget why he was dropped in the first place now. 

In Tests there is a distinct chance with Iyer out of the picture. His sole competition is public enemy KL Rahul.  But i still cannot help wonder how he has turned it around. Even at his peak he never played like this in IPL.   @maniac139 Often compares Ruturaj with Rahane. I told  that Rutu has a special six hitting ability. It is almost like Rahane has become a mini Rutu rather than RUturaj becoming Rahane.  Same type of elevated pull shots, pick up shots.  This six hitting ability was never to be seen with Rahane at any phase of his career. Second of all he would stop attacking right after power play. But in this edition he continues attacking.

18 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Let him stick to IPL only, I am 200% sure when he will play for National team, he will be back to his timid approach.

Ship for Rahane has sailed, he is already 34/35...let him play IPL and domestic tournaments and retire happily. He was a mediocre performer for a decade and one IPL season isn't going to wipe that out. 

It is a more role-based performance. There is no way he is going to get that role for the national side. So I don't expect him to come back in LOIs. But in Tests, it is a possibility given there is  a vacancy which is likely to be filled by KL.

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

In Tests there is a distinct chance with Iyer out of the picture. His sole competition is public enemy KL Rahul.  But i still cannot help wonder how he has turned it around. Even at his peak he never played like this in IPL.   @maniac139 Often compares Ruturaj with Rahane. I told  that Rutu has a special six hitting ability. It is almost like Rahane has become a mini Rutu rather than RUturaj becoming Rahane.  Same type of elevated pull shots, pick up shots.  This six hitting ability was never to be seen with Rahane at any phase of his career. Second of all he would stop attacking right after power play. But in this edition he continues attacking.

That maniac you mentioned seems different

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Not entirely true.

watch his batting against SA in 2015 odi wc

4 minutes ago, Ravi_Shastri said:

Not entirely true.

watch his batting against SA in 2015 odi wc

At his peak he can play breathtaking shots. But not this consistently that too in the air a lot. Lap shots, reverse scoops. This is consciously improved Rahane.  Never seen a Rahane like this. Someone who can thrash bowlers outside powerplay.

Just now, vvvslaxman said:

At his peak he can play breathtaking shots. But not this consistently that too in the air a lot. Lap shots, reverse scoops. This is consciously improved Rahane.  Never seen a Rahane like this. Someone who can thrash bowlers outside powerplay.

Yes.

I was just referring to your statement that he “never” played an innings’ like that. 
it was a one off though 

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

If Rahane has seriously mastered these strokes... Then we may get a Joe Root type player in Test cricket.  Even a Poor man's Root would do the job with such a brittle batting line up. 

50 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

If Rahane has seriously mastered these strokes... Then we may get a Joe Root type player in Test cricket.  Even a Poor man's Root would do the job with such a brittle batting line up. 

Spin was an Achilles heel for him. One of the reasons why he has a poor home record. And also massive concentration lapses between breaks. He never addressed these for a very long time. If he can commit himself to bazball type cricket and achieve even 50% of success he can be useful. This is pure because our other options are just as bad.