• Boycott-ball
    • Bazball
    • Zenball
    • Invent a new ball game

There are various ways to play test cricket: 

a) Boycott-ball

b) Bazball*

c) All the values in b/w a & b

* Bazball, to me, is more about mindset where you look to win with both the bat and ball by focusing on scoring quick runs (does not mean just swinging the bat at every ball which is what many associate Bazball with) and picking up quick wickets (more attacking fields and wicket-taking balls bowled. Runs used as bait to pick up wickets) respectively. 

To play a particular brand of cricket, most often than not a team needs to plan by picking and developing the optimum set of players. Sometimes, a player could be better suited to tests but his approach may not align with a particular brand of cricket so he may not be considered by a team pursuing a different style. 

There is no right or wrong way to play cricket as long as a team is devoted to it and finds ways to make it click. 

With the above out of the way, let me take the opportunity to introduce Zenball. It is not necessarily named after me but is more focused on the word "zen". Below are Zenball's key traits (which may overlap with other styles):

Focus on playing to your potential in sporting conditions: This is paramount as players need to push themselves to give their best. Sporting (or relatively sporting) conditions allow different types of players to play to their potential. 

Pick the best players for test cricket: It is not about focusing on playing Boycott-ball or Bazball but simply picking the players best suited to play tests. 

Allow each player to play to his strength: If a team has realized that a Boycott or a Dravid and a Richards or a Sehwag are its best bets, play both. Allow Boycott/Dravid and Richard/Sehwag to play to their respective strengths. A Dravid (or a Boycott or a Gavaskar) is not discouraged from playing traditional cricket and a Sehwag (or a Richard or a Lara) is encouraged to play his attacking cricket. Similarly for bowlers, who are utilized based on their strength where a pace bowler is used in short bursts, a stock bowler is used to bowl more overs, etc. 

This is possibly cricket at its best where no style is pursued, teams focus on their best players, the players get to play to their strengths, and so on! The fans too get to see all types of players in action. Relatively speaking, a win-win for all! 

:beer:

8 hours ago, Serpico said:

Nice attempt man. But I'm going to completely revolutionize cricket with my gimmick..

Pick batsmen who are most likely to score runs in given conditions. Pick bowlers that are most likely to take wickets. Pick an all-rounder who can do both, if available. Tell them to score as many runs and take as many wickets as possible. Feel free to call this revolutionary new concept "serpico ball". Thank me later 

That sounds like Shastri-ball :orderorder:

The thread looks like the below to me so I have to click options to view some of the posts (as they are on a thread that I started), a waste of time doing that as these folks have as usual nothing to add to a topic :facepalm:

Screenshot-2023-06-23-at-11-03-02-AM.png

PS If this is not a thread for you, you don't need to be here! :dontknow:

Edited by zen

Coming back to the topic! 

I overlooked addressing captaincy in Zenball. So here we go: 

While Bazball is more about channeling positive aggression onto the field with attacking moves, whether it is the choice to take on a bowler (at the risk of losing a wicket) or to use runs as bait to pick up a wicket (at the risk of the game slipping away), Zenball is more about ensuring that players play to their respective strengths. Therefore, captaincy is more about leadership. 

It is about keeping the players motivated, focused, and confident in executing their strengths while creating an environment both on the field and off the field for everyone to succeed. In order to do that the captain needs to take inputs from players to understand them and their game better. 

At times, the captain has to take the back seat to allow a batsman to play at his preferred position (esp. if the captain's ideal batting position is similar) and make a bowler bowl when the ball is in the optimum condition for that style of bowling. In short, making sacrifices when required for the team. 

There are more aspects to it but will keep this short on this occasion. 

Edited by zen
3 hours ago, zen said:

The thread looks like the below to me so I have to click options to view some of the posts (as they are on a thread that I started), a waste of time doing that as these folks have as usual nothing to add to a topic :facepalm:

How did you know that I trolled you when you are ignoring my posts? :cantstop:

Bhai kabhi to akal ka istemal kiya karo. Or maybe you spent all your thinking power in the opening post which I agree is revolutionary. 

I know you still click on that show button in every post of mine. 

Edited by Adamant
8 minutes ago, Adamant said:

How did you know that I trolled you when you are ignoring my posts? :cantstop:

Bhai kabhi to akal ka istemal kiya karo. Or maybe you spent all your thinking power in the opening post which I agree is revolutionary. 

The answer is in the post that you quoted  - "I have to click options to view some of the posts (as they are on a thread that I started)".  The same reason I clicked on this post. 

Everything thing is laid out if you "read" ...  Anyways, time to move on!. 

Edited by zen
3 hours ago, zen said:

Edited by Adamant
Deleted
2 minutes ago, zen said:

The answer is in the post that you quoted  - "I have to click options to view some of the posts (as they are on a thread that I started)".  The same reason I clicked on the post. 

Everything thing is laid out if you "read" ... Time to move on!. 

Grow up buddy. 

You are making a fool out of yourself here. 

1 minute ago, Adamant said:

Grow up buddy. 

You are making a fool out of yourself here. 

Thanks for your opinion but not interested in it! 

(from my perspective, people making fools out of themselves, commenting without a clue are elsewhere). 

29 minutes ago, Adamant said:

I contribute to threads which are made to discuss cricket, your threads are usually for click baiting and trolling purposes. (especially since last few months) 

So instead of educating us with how holy you are just go and check your recent threads. 

Ok, let's see you contribute positively! I have nothing against any poster that adds value to any discussion. I will try to read more of your posts. 

My threads are usually of three types - fun threads, analysis threads, and brainstorming ones. Now if I say Pujara is this, someone who does not like Puraja will get trolled; if I say Rohit is that; someone who likes Rohit will get trolled; if I say Kohli is this or that, Kohli fans like you will get trolled; if I say X is the best, fans of Y will take an offense. So, unfortunately, there is no way to keep everyone happy (and many keep and hold on to grudges).