Both on paper and form - RSA looks like a much more dangerous team than India and most likely semi final match ups.

3 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

India will most likely finish at the top of the table and play SF at Mumbai. The question is should India still look to chase in the SF being they are most comfortable as a chasing side and have won all the games so far chasing ? My answer is no, because if they need to chase 320+. it will be a big challenge especially at Mumbai, with the extra zip off the surface under lights and against SA, Aus or NZ bowlers or whichever team we play against and also  with the pressure of knock out scenario. Rather India should look to post 320+ batting first and look to defend it.

Bangladesh at time of writing is 184/ 8 in 39 overs even after the abysmal start basically going at 5 an over.. 320 will be easily chased by nz,saf, aus.. to win in wankhede we need 350/360 odd and even then we can lose.. i remember one match some bloke called ashton turner ( got a million pound jackpot for his pension in ipl after that knock and i dont know here he is now) chased down 360 against india..

32 minutes ago, Nash said:

I remember when SA was playing in India in 1990s. There was bowler name Pat Symcox : https://www.espncricinfo.com/cricketers/pat-symcox-47267

He was extremely effective to keep our batsman quit. When being asked sachin which African bowler he think hard to play, he said Pat Symcox. I can't find video for this anywhere right now. Santner has same easy bowling action and he bowls a good areas. I dont know wha tis so hard to hit him with foot movement agression and going deep in backfoot.

It was Hansie Cronje who Sachin used to say was the most difficult bowler he faced. People always used to scoff at Sachin for downplaying the other premier bowlers of that era for naming Cronje as his most difficult bowler. But I think the reason Sachin said so is because of Cronje's shady past and Sachin was afraid that people may also associate him with fixing for frequently getting out to him.

Just now, Tillu said:

It was Hansie Cronje who Sachin used to say was the most difficult bowler he faced. People always used to scoff at Sachin for downplaying the other premier bowlers of that era for naming Cronje as his most difficult bowler. But I think the reason Sachin said so is because of Cronje's shady past and Sachin was afraid that people may also associate him with fixing for frequently getting out to him.

even without fixing we would have lost as we had dodda ganesh, david johnson and venkatesh prasad as our fast bowlers in those tours ..

Better hitters throughout doesnt mean better batting...they are good..but that doesnt mean that they are going to make same score again India...dont forget these are Indian home conditions..

QDK playing big innings is laying good foundation for them..

Though,I want to see how well India bats when they bat first..Rohit is concentrating on giving brisk starts at the moment and not worrying about his own personal milestone while chasing..

if he gets set and eyes big personal score..India may also make good total batting first...

whats working well for SAF apart from QDK is Jansen's consistent wickets at the top..one good thing is that Indian batters have played against him in IPL so he is not a surprise pkg..for us..

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

yes, I think if India have to chase anything below 330 odd against SA, I think we can manage it.   Both teams have to bat on same track.  Its not going to be that they will manage 330 and suddenly when we come to bat its going to turn into a bowlers paradise.  SA bowling is good but not that much better than NZ overall.  

And btw, I don't think its a done deal that India will concede 330 to SA - not every day is sunday, yes they have piled up big scores but mostly against weaker bowling units than ours.  

@sandeep

If this happens, then I just have one damn thing to tell you (below ) 

South Africa do not impress me much.

Nothing in their bowling is scary. If our batsmen are on song, we will score an easy 350.

Our schedule is: England, SL, SA, The Netherlands

We would have already qualified in first place by the time we play SA. We will toy around them with a B team and then ruin their confidence for the Semi match up against them which we will then win at a canter, with me cheering on our team from the stands.

:isalute:

12 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

South Africa do not impress me much.

Nothing in their bowling is scary. If our batsmen are on song, we will score an easy 350.

Our schedule is: England, SL, SA, The Netherlands

We would have already qualified in first place by the time we play SA. We will toy around them with a B team and then ruin their confidence for the Semi match up against them which we will then win at a canter, with me cheering on our team from the stands.

:isalute:

I think we will face Aussies in Mumbai not RSA.

India/ NZ RSA are likely to finish 1/2/3 ( either way )

Aus as 4th.

If Aus is 4th...we will face them in Mumbai....I don't think Aus is going to be better than 4th...given the cricket NZ and RSA are playing,

India is going to play in Wankhede not matter its position in the top 4 , only exception would be if the opposition is Pakistan. 

So i think the next 4 games, if India wins the toss, it would be better to bat 1st in the all the four games, so as to get ready for the semi-final.

1 hour ago, RedFever said:

India is going to play in Wankhede not matter its position in the top 4 , only exception would be if the opposition is Pakistan. 

So i think the next 4 games, if India wins the toss, it would be better to bat 1st in the all the four games, so as to get ready for the semi-final.

Agreed we know that.  But who we face in Wankhede would depend on where , NZ, RSA, Aus finish.

India will play the 4th ( lowest ) ranking semi-finalist in Mumbai...which 99 % will be Aus.

Unless NZ decides to act very cute and drop a game or two to deliberately finish at 4 - because it fancies us at Wankhede , rather than RSA at Eden.

SA is a power team but can they finesse out of a tough spot? They could not against a lowly Holland. Ngidi is a good bowler in this format and 3 of 4 pace bowlers bowl .> 140kph. However ( and it is a big however ) the spinners are very ordinary and Rabada is not the same Rabada who bowled with Steyn. Something is missing in Rabada's bowling effort since the Steyn retirement.

India is a power/finesse mix but besides Rohit it has largely been a finesse effort with bat and even ball(with Kuldeep/spinners). Can we keep up with a power team which is on song?

Besides SA, Australia(again!) and at Wankhede bothers me - I think they will be a different team with Head in place of Labuschagne. I am sure Starc is working on his rhythm too... has a good 2 weeks to find it.

Edited by AKane
17 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

Agreed we know that.  But who we face in Wankhede would depend on where , NZ, RSA, Aus finish.

India will play the 4th ( lowest ) ranking semi-finalist in Mumbai...which 99 % will be Aus.

Unless NZ decides to act very cute and drop a game or two to deliberately finish at 4 - because it fancies us at Wankhede , rather than RSA at Eden.

I would much rather  face nz than Australia. Australia will now be strong contenders .they have found their mojo albeit against weaker teams...but marsh warner Maxwell Smith are back in form..zampa and the bowlers are bowling good.. they can trip on slow wickets but ontrue surfaces...they will be handful

That is exactly what I was thinking when I watched the highlights yesterday. If SA can stay off the choker saali mentality (it is good that they were exposed to it by NED early), they are the team to beat. Batting firepower and good bowling. If they bat first against India and score 400, lights out. Even Fatso and Chokohli's baaps cannot save us.

19 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

SA  may finish 4th too.

Edited by cowboysfan