ODI World Cup is the best damn sport ever!!!

On 11/16/2023 at 12:03 PM, putrevus said:

It has to be played on pitches which offer something for bowlers.

I hate t20s. There is no skill other than hitting ball hard.

Absolutely , I also don't like T20 and love ODI and 100% agree, should be played on good wickets with some help for the bowlers. SA-Australia match was the best one for me in this WC. 

On 11/16/2023 at 10:55 PM, maniac said:

You should have added till the next IPL begins :aha:

The craze and the whole Thala fever that was there this IPL is unmatched. Even the worldcup was slow till our team started “bulldozing” opponents like Yogiji

Gosh, one season of Thala fever is enough! How many more "last IPL season" is he going to milk?

ODI's are easily the most entertaining format but this World Cup format is a bit too long. 

It should not drag on for 6 weeks. 

Even if we had 2 groups of 5, super sixes and then KO's, we could have reduced the length of this tournament a LOT without compromising on quality. 

Also, there has been an ICC tournament every year since 2021 .

Since 1998, we have had 25 ICC tournaments(including 2 WTC finals) in 25 years.

Ridiculous. 

37 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

ODI's are easily the most entertaining format but this World Cup format is a bit too long. 

It should not drag on for 6 weeks. 

Even if we had 2 groups of 5, super sixes and then KO's, we could have reduced the length of this tournament a LOT without compromising on quality. 

Also, there has been an ICC tournament every year since 2021 .

Since 1998, we have had 25 ICC tournaments(including 2 WTC finals) in 25 years.

Ridiculous. 

How many times do you sit for 8 hrs to watch each and every ball?

I bet even Indian fans don't do it for India matches in marquee events like WC.

Watching it from stadium is even more painful.

40 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

How many times do you sit for 8 hrs to watch each and every ball?

I bet even Indian fans don't do it for India matches in marquee events like WC.

Watching it from stadium is even more painful.

Then what's the justification for the existence of Test match cricket then? Considering we play so much test cricket and takes up so much time in the calendar?

ODI's at least have massive views on streaming platforms during certain periods. Tests don't even have that

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Then what's the justification for the existence of Test match cricket then? Considering we play so much test cricket and takes up so much time in the calendar?

ODI's at least have massive views on streaming platforms during certain periods. Tests don't even have that

I am not claiming that test match is most entertaining format.

On 11/16/2023 at 4:57 PM, coffee_rules said:

No question about it. It beats every other sport . Watching games stretching 8 hours and the see-saw and excitement. 

It stretches well over 8 hours sometimes - simply too long. Who has that kind of time on their hands?

I haven't been able to watch a single match in it's entirety because there are things to do around the home etc. 8 hours is just too long and that's why T20s are more popular. Skill or no skill - T20s demand less time.

As for your comment about see-saw excitement. How many of the 40+ games in this world cup have actually seen see-saw excitement? 4? 5? Let's give you the benefit and say 6. 6 out of 40 matches have been exciting - the rest have been total dam squibs. How is this better than any other sport?

Compare this world cup to the T20 world cup last year, just how many close games. How much drama and the fact that for once there was something in it for the bowlers made lower scores even more exciting.

Nope terrible thread - disagree with everyone.

2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Fair enough but I don't think any IPL match or World T20 has peaked in terms of viewership like matches in this World Cup have. 

So theres definitely an argument that the format should stay. 

Exactly. That’s why I said ODI WC. This time I watched all important games full 8 hrs. WCs are a different beast because of the novelty value that it happens once in 4 years s. 

1 hour ago, bones said:

It stretches well over 8 hours sometimes - simply too long. Who has that kind of time on their hands?

I haven't been able to watch a single match in it's entirety because there are things to do around the home etc. 8 hours is just too long and that's why T20s are more popular. Skill or no skill - T20s demand less time.

As for your comment about see-saw excitement. How many of the 40+ games in this world cup have actually seen see-saw excitement? 4? 5? Let's give you the benefit and say 6. 6 out of 40 matches have been exciting - the rest have been total dam squibs. How is this better than any other sport?

Compare this world cup to the T20 world cup last year, just how many close games. How much drama and the fact that for once there was something in it for the bowlers made lower scores even more exciting.

Nope terrible thread - disagree with everyone.

Ok stick to your Tamacha tonty cricket. 

Edited by coffee_rules
16 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Ashes was actually earlier this year. Seems like you have already forgotten the series, surprising for someone who claims to be such a purist. 

It feels like a year ago because this ODI world cup feels like it's been going on that long. I'm still to see the evidence that the ODI WC is the "best". The results clearly don't show how it's the best. We've had one sided boring matches one after the other for 6 weeks now.