Proud of team India

Mariyam

33 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Yes I know we had a terrible game. We batted like we were afraid. Our bowling was subpar after the first 10 overs. We didn't field well. And all of that.

But I'm very proud of the way this team has performed all through the tournament. No controversy, no crazy comments,only stellar cricket all along.

Well played India.

:isalute:

People only remember winners.  This has been true since eternity. 

All of these great performances will be forgotten in 10 years.  People will only remember that in the 2023 WC in India.  Aussies were crowned champions and beat India at home.

Hard to wipe off the pain, even harder to be an Indian cricket fan.

28 minutes ago, badmash said:

Par aik baat to hay … hum to airplane say wapis Gaye thay… tum logo ko bus say jana paray ga hahhahaha 

haar mubarak ho 

Bhai tumko wapas bhejna bhi to zyada zaruri tha.. Khelne to aata nahi har jagah bas Biryani pelne ruk jaate the. Bahot garibi hai yaar tumhare yahaan

Just now, rangeelaraja said:

People only remember winners.  This has been true since eternity. 

All of these great performances will be forgotten in 10 years.  People will only remember that in the 2023 WC in India.  Aussies were crowned champions and beat India at home.

Hard to wipe off the pain, even harder to be an Indian cricket fan.

Perhaps people with a severe bout of amnesia. Most people who follow cricket will remember our campaign.

Besides, what if it is not remembered? It still was a great campaign. 

Don't you remember South African campaign from when they lost that run out wala game against Australia etc. 

12 minutes ago, WC2011INDIA said:

Threads like these are why India has continued to choke. We give the team an easy pass by saying such motivational things. * all this nonsense. These guys need to be shown their aukat. Heads need to roll. Then things will change for good. 

Couldn't agree more. We've been coming in 2nd or 3rd in a 3 horse race for a decade now. Let's face it, this time round with England being a no show, we only had to get past Australia and New Zealand to win the tourney and we still couldn't do so.

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

Perhaps people with a severe bout of amnesia. Most people who follow cricket will remember our campaign.

Besides, what if it is not remembered? It still was a great campaign. 

Don't you remember South African campaign from when they lost that run out wala game against Australia etc. 

No championship trophy ---> no lasting happiness. 

This was once in generation chance. Amazing team in form, home conditions, everything.  Hurts, hurts ALOT.

17 minutes ago, WC2011INDIA said:

Threads like these are why India has continued to choke. We give the team an easy pass by saying such motivational things. * all this nonsense. These guys need to be shown their aukat. Heads need to roll. Then things will change for good. 

@Mariyam is easily one of the best contributors here and by a long shot. 

But I agree with you 100 % here.

Professional sports is about results, trophies.

We were a bit unlucky today, but I always knew in the heart of my hearts that we have a tail that starts at 6.  

You cannot become a World Champion with that unless you are exceptionally lucky, and we were not that lucky.

11 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Nice to see you after so long.

Sab khairiyat?

Yes, good to see you as well and all the other former ICFers. All well. Not same motivation to write and post on Indian Cricket forum or be involved in discussions on cricket as it once was for me. Still follow every game though.

hope you are doing well.

8 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

One gets premonitions ( however irrational they seem) ....and they often play out based on 6th sense.

A lot of things did not feel right today. One just knows it - difficult to articulate. 

And there is news that Kapil Dev our first WC winning captain wasn't invited by BCCI as guest for this final match.

Neither was Dhoni it seems 

Just now, rangeelaraja said:

@Mariyam is easily one of the best contributors here and by a long shot. 

But I agree with you 100 % here.

Professional sports is about results, trophies.

We were a bit unlucky today, but I always knew in the heart of my hearts that we have a tail that starts at 6.  

You cannot become a World Champion with that unless you are exceptionally lucky, and we were not that lucky.

That's very kind of you, but no I am not. I barely follow cricket except for the WC and the IPL. And I have been on ICF for so long, and I am emotionally invested in this site that I lurk around. That's about it.

I am going to do what I haven't done before. Discuss cricket objectively:

We had a long tail? Sure. We had a long tail for the entire tournament then. You could say that getting in Shreyas Iyer/ Shami instead of Pandya/ Shardul our tail was strengthened. It worked wonders for us all tournament. 

And you really want to blame the tail today? Its the KLs, Jadeja who batted poorly. SKY was also extremely poor. It shouldn't have reached our tail. 

Point is, we took what worked for us. I can't imagine the brickbats that Dravid would get if he were to tinker with the line up in the finals and we lose. Besides why would he change a winning set up? Australia were better today. Fielded like champs. Their captaincy was spot on. We didn't have anything going for us. Every time we consolidated, we lost a wicket.

The team did take advantage of home conditions but questions about its ability to handle pressure remain. If not for Shami's performance in the SF, it could have lost that game too. NZ-Aus/SA could have been a better game. People still remember the 2019 F. 

6 minutes ago, zen said:

The team did take advantage of home conditions but questions about its ability to handle pressure remain. If not for Shami's performance in the SF, it could have lost that game too. NZ-Aus/SA could have been a better game. People still remember the 2019 F. 

I was hoping for a NZ vs SA final. Atleast we would have gotten a new winner.

Say what you want about England, they conducted a great world cup and won it by whatever means necessary in front of home crowd. 

We have done it too in 2011.

2023 wc felt like a farce to me. Everything was shoddily organized.

Australia, India and England have all won in their backyards. India should have won this one too, but I had a feeling that if Australia is the finalist that won't be happening. The Australia think tank and team strategy for big tournaments is still million times superior.

2027 will not be any better. Australia, NZ, SA and England will be the favourites in those conditions. 2 out of those 3 will definitely make to the semis. In the end it won't matter because Australia will win it all. 

Edited by WC2011INDIA
2 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

That's very kind of you, but no I am not. I barely follow cricket except for the WC and the IPL. And I have been on ICF for so long, and I am emotionally invested in this site that I lurk around. That's about it.

I am going to do what I haven't done before. Discuss cricket objectively:

We had a long tail? Sure. We had a long tail for the entire tournament then. You could say that getting in Shreyas Iyer/ Shami instead of Pandya/ Shardul our tail was strengthened. It worked wonders for us all tournament. 

And you really want to blame the tail today? Its the KLs, Jadeja who batted poorly. SKY was also extremely poor. It shouldn't have reached our tail. 

Point is, we took what worked for us. I can't imagine the brickbats that Dravid would get if he were to tinker with the line up in the finals and we lose. Besides why would he change a winning set up? Australia were better today. Fielded like champs. Their captaincy was spot on. We didn't have anything going for us. Every time we consolidated, we lost a wicket.

There were always question marks on the inadequate batting lineup which is why we had allrounders when we first started.

Shami hitting a purple patch just hid those flaws big time.

There is nothing TM could have done differently except maybe bringing in Ashwin for Siraj.Even then, I doubt the result could have been different.

Indian team did the same thing that won them 10 games in a row.Today, that approach didnt work.

However, there no slips for the spinners and Jadeja was darting the ball rather than hunting for wickets. The slow turn didnt help either.

Its all 20-20 in hindsight.

I didn't follow this WC on TV but had planned to watch the final. However, when Ind made it, I knew there was no point in staying awake for it. In the early morning, I looked at the scorecard, where Ind had lost like 7-8 wkts by the 46th over :yawn2:. Then I checked the scorecard around the time when Aus was 47/3. Smith was out and I "felt" that someone else would click (Maxwell's 200 flashed in the mind) for Aus to take it home. 

At the moment, Ind is not good enough for big games. 

Edited by zen
9 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Our tail did not get exposed because of the exceptional form of Rohit, Kohli to a large extent but top 5 in general.

Just for perspective - we had Yuvi and Raina at 6 and 7 in 2011  to get us quick runs in clutch situations- compare that  to SKY and Jadeja as ODI batters- there is no comparision of pedigree, objectively speaking

Plus Bhajii, Zaheer  ( 8, 9 )- could both throw and the bat and score crucial runs ( 2002 Natwest final rings a bell ? ) 

Being top heavy in batting will fail us repeatedly in clutch title games unless the top order carries form.

Wish we once and for all learn this.

Unfortuantely, I don't have the bandwidth to follow the cricket team now ( not that I matter ) ...for the foreseeable future. There are far more important things  in life.

But do plan to lurk around ICF.