Shubman Gill : Just too many weaknesses ?

Number

Best he has batted was 2020-21 BGT. Every time he looked in supreme touch and threw it away with lazy wafts outside off, even in that 90 odd in Gabba, nothing delivery of Lyon. Forget technique, he lacks the drive of Kohli or khadoos mentality of many of the greats from Mumbai. 

Edited by Gollum
Just now, Gollum said:

Even before dengue he was a poor test batsman. His failures in test cricket aren't to do with lack of strength/stamina, usual after effect of illness. His technique is shot, mentally he is satisfied with 30-40 runs. Even the few times he batted well to get 50s or 100s, did you see hunger in him to be ruthless and bat long? 

BGT 4th test last year, flattest track laid by India in a long, long time. After Gill got his 100, he tried his best to throw it away and succeeded shortly after....out of sorts Kohli had the determination to keep batting, and he almost got a double. 

Kohli even in his struggles was not just throwing it away like this guy. You could clearly see him laboring and trying hard.

Kohli also should have played fc cricket he would have come out of his funk lot earlier.I don’t understand these guys not wanting to play FC cricket.

Gill has to go back to domestic cricket, he is playing with hard hands and plonking his front foot. He has too many issues , some technical and some mental.

21 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Shreyas Iyer is a Flat Wicket Bully. I don't even know why he is played in tests.

He will be purely a ODI specilaist like Dhawan.

Even in Odis he will score when the ball isn't bouncing much. But hey he can dance and make insta reels, that's what's important to be in the Indian team.

5 minutes ago, Adamant said:

I am quite sure Prithvi Shaw would have done way better especially in Asian conditions 

From what I hv seen, P Shaw also has glaring weakness against spin. Won't hv lasted long.   Plus he will concede 50+ runs via misfields.    Possibly the worst fitness level for a 25 yr old.  

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Best he has batted was 2020-21 BGT. Every time he looked in supreme touch and threw it away with lazy wafts outside off, even in that 90 odd in Gabba, nothing delivery of Lyon. Forget technique, he lacks the drive of Kohli or khadoos mentality of many of the greats from Mumbai. 

He's  chocolaty Yash Raj hero for vadiy-e- Switzerland

Gill seems to be going the KL Rahul route; becoming a superstar in his mind without any actual cricketing contributions to back it. The drive to improve in Test cricket is unfortunately lacking in him. We should rather give a chance to donestic performers who grind their way in FC cricket in India.

10 hours ago, Frustrated said:

Gill's last 11 test innings:  13, 18, 6, 10, 29, 2, 26, 36, 10, 22 , 0        (Once in a generation knocks)  

Present generation will all be like this only, barring a rare exception here and there. Why toil in boring test cricket when you can make out like a bandit in IPL? 

Instead of picking batsmen on average or Instagram potential, their contributions on tough wickets should be considered before selecting them. 

Everyone who is shitposting against Gill knows he will turn it around. It's just a matter of time. Players who possess such vast talent have never failed in cricket history. When I think of ability and natural talent, I think of Lara, Sehwag, ABD, Warner etc., not garbage like KL, Iyer etc. 

As people already mentioned, he is a generational talent. Pant and Jaiswal are also one of the best we have. Apart from these 3, I cannot think of any other Indian young player who will succeed much.

19 minutes ago, Jamadagni said:

Everyone who is shitposting against Gill knows he will turn it around. It's just a matter of time. Players who possess such vast talent have never failed in cricket history. When I think of ability and natural talent, I think of Lara, Sehwag, ABD, Warner etc., not garbage like KL, Iyer etc. 

Yes.  Vivian Gill turned it around today as well.  Glorious knock of 134.  Potentially match winning one.   

Edited by Frustrated