India squad for T20 series against Afghanistan announced - Rohit & Kohli returns

19 hours ago, Adamant said:

Rohit hasn’t performed well in any t20 world cup and I think he was the one most affected by the world cup loss.

Shouldnt have been picked but the only thing that inspires some confidence about him is how he batted in the world cup, if he continues the same approach, it will work fine.

Kohli obviously should be the first pick in WestIndian conditions, they are tailor made for his style of t20 batting.

Expecting Sky to finally show up.

This would be my team :

Sharma

Jaiswal

Kohli

Sky

Pandya

Rinku

Jitesh

Bumrah

Kuldeep/Bishnoi

Siraj

Arshdeep

Batting till 7, we know Indian tail cannot be modified coz we have no good bowling allrounder.

Chahar could have been a choice but he is usually injured.

I don’t think we can do anything to fix our tail.

So just stavk up your batting till 7 and play only 5 bowlers, no need of 6th bowler in t20s

Wrong he performed in only wc which we won along with Yuvi and Gauti.

Actually senior shouldn’t have been picked they should have followed 2007 strategy. Rohit and Kohli should have kept themselves out, already they have played 5-6 t20 wc and lost all of them together. Also wt20 is not like odi wc so they should have tried all young players and fans would have less expectations.

Edited by raki05
1 minute ago, raki05 said:

Actually senior shouldn’t have been picked they should have followed 2007 strategy. Rohit and Kohli should have kept themselves out, already they have played 5-6 t20 wc and lost all of them together. Also wt20 is not like odi wc so they should have tried all young players and fans would have less expectations.

I was about to say this.  But the problem is: "Kaptaan kaun hoga?".  Not sure if any of these youngsters/rookies hv captained even their domestic/ranji side or even in IPL.    In 2007 WT20, we had a clear choice of Dhoni as captain.  

5 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Rohit and Kohli should have kept themselves out, already they have played 5-6 t20 wc and lost all of them together. Also wt20 is not like odi wc so they should have tried all young players and fans would have less expectations.

This is the thing.

Selectors cannot keep them out even if they want to. No point blaming them. It is responsibility of these two to retire timely. 

23 minutes ago, raki05 said:

Bhai he is bad overall. But in 2007 wt20 he played two crucial inning. One against SA in virtual knockout and another one in Final against pak. Which took is to fighting total. Overall i agree he is bad in t20.

Did well in 2007 but he has flopped in every edition since then. Back then he was a 20 yr old guy with lots to prove.

Ashwin did great in 2014 and had we won the tournament he would have been MOTT and it would have been regarded as a GOAT performance. But we can't select him today based on that, similarly with Ro. Kohli is at least a gun in this tournament's history, the greatest ever, has good form, fitness, utility in 160-170 pitches etc 

Edited by Gollum

"Anything can happen in T20 cricket especially with conditions being such a big unknown. Yet, on this day, the 8th of January, about five months before the T20 World Cup, it can objectively be said India are hoping to derive different results by doing the same thing over and over again."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ind-vs-afg-india-look-to-old-hands-rohit-sharma-and-virat-kohli-in-search-for-new-results-1415947

1 hour ago, Chakdephatte said:

This is the thing.

Selectors cannot keep them out even if they want to. No point blaming them. It is responsibility of these two to retire timely. 

I am of the opposite mindset. Top sportspeople will always have the self-belief that they can be successful no matter what, that the return to form is just around the corner, it takes just one good outing etc. etc. It is that self-belief that carried them this far, but it is a double-edged sword. It is up to the selectors to show courage and let them know that their time is up.

They should set a target of very high sstrike rate with decent avg in IPL..say 150+ at 25 for Kohli and 180*+ at 20 for Rohit..higher SR for Rohit as he is opener..

if they are not able to achieve..they voluntarily should give up position in t20 squad..

1 hour ago, The Hound said:

If standing up for human rights is wokeness then it's not a bad thing. 

Oh I completely agree. It is unfortunate that the term "woke," which had its origins in the ability to be aware of injustice, has been coopted and bastardized into a pejorative/slur.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

But we will only succeed if we reject the growing pressure to retreat into cynicism and hopelessness. … We have a moral obligation to "stay woke," take a stand and be active; challenging injustices and racism in our communities and fighting hatred and discrimination wherever it rises.

Barbara Lee

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

My team for World T20 alongwith backups assuming someone or other will certainly get injured:-

Rohit

Kohli

Kishan/Samson(wkt)

SKY

Hardik

Rinku

Axar

Arshdeep

Bumrah

Kuldeep

Siraj

Backups :-

Opener - Jaiswal

keeper - Kishan/Samson

MO batsman - Tilak Verma, Rahul

Bowlers/AR - Shami, Bishnoi, Jadeja

HAHAHA I don't know if BCCI is trolling the fans or the fans just are idiots.

After losing 3 T20 WC in a row, still same 2 guys lingering in the team in the name of "experience"

Once again the bilateral tournament where youngsters were tried was for nothing as seniors took a vacation.

5 hours ago, BlueBlood said:

HAHAHA I don't know if BCCI is trolling the fans or the fans just are idiots.

After losing 3 T20 WC in a row, still same 2 guys lingering in the team in the name of "experience"

Once again the bilateral tournament where youngsters were tried was for nothing as seniors took a vacation.

Playing a minnow side in India, this is a great opportunity for Kohli and Hitman to stat pad their averages. I could even accept them being in if they got to 50 and retired, but they will want to go on for that stat record of a century to their name.

Whats even worse, is that our other batsmen may not even get a chance to bat to get much needed batting time at the crease, if these two dominate in the series.

Then the WC comes around, these two bomb out, yet again and those that have batted little are expected to build or get to a target with little formline.

13 hours ago, The Realist said:

"Anything can happen in T20 cricket especially with conditions being such a big unknown. Yet, on this day, the 8th of January, about five months before the T20 World Cup, it can objectively be said India are hoping to derive different results by doing the same thing over and over again."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ind-vs-afg-india-look-to-old-hands-rohit-sharma-and-virat-kohli-in-search-for-new-results-1415947

That last WC broke me when we lost the Final, this is like kicking me when I am down. Including the big failures of the Final in the squad again.

13 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Oh I completely agree. It is unfortunate that the term "woke," which had its origins in the ability to be aware of injustice, has been coopted and bastardized into a pejorative/slur.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

But we will only succeed if we reject the growing pressure to retreat into cynicism and hopelessness. … We have a moral obligation to "stay woke," take a stand and be active; challenging injustices and racism in our communities and fighting hatred and discrimination wherever it rises.

Barbara Lee

It's for a good reason, you can stand upto 'injustice' without being 'woke', a phenomenon which just weaponises endless purity spirals for the purpose of insincere, pretentious and shallow signalling even in cases where no real injustices or victims exist. If you're going by what the labels say then even North Korea says it's a Democratic People's Republic. 

In Afghanistan's case there is no use insisting on it since this is not a nation like any other where you can apply standards of peaceful, prosperous liberal western democracies to them when they've only known endless wars and turmoil for several centuries & are under the Taliban. To do so, one could argue is not only foolishly out of touch and imprudent but also in its own way, bigoted and insensitive.