Former KKR captain Dinesh Karthik admits to tense relationship with Kuldeep Yadav

Former KKR captain Dinesh Karthik admits to tense relationship with Kuldeep Yadav

Dinesh Karthik Karthik recently opened up on his tough conversations with the world-class spinner.

Kolkata Knight Riders are often accused of playing with the career of Kuldeep Yadav. The top India spinner was left sulking, and his nightmare finally ended when Delhi Capitals bought him.

Dinesh Karthik was the KKR captain when Kuldeep went through the most challenging time, and the veteran wicketkeeper played a part in making Kuldeep feel uncomfortable.

Karthik recently opened up on his tough conversations with the world-class spinner. Speaking to Ravichandran Ashwin, Karthik admitted that he didn’t treat Kuldeep properly.

Ashwin asked him about the difference between leading a franchise and captaining a team in another competition. Karthik has led domestic cricket in Tamil Nadu for years.

“Leading a franchise is altogether a different job. There are many other cultures, and you will find it challenging to deal with other individuals. You can be very honest with them. As a leader, you will lose out on certain friendships.

“During my time as KKR captain, Kuldeep (Yadav) was not doing as well as he is right now. There were tough conversations with him, and I don’t think he would have appreciated me at that stage. I have to be tough with him.

“I am really happy where he is today. It has nothing to do with me. He has become a better bowler and a world-beater. The tracks at Eden Gardens were flat, and you needed to get above 200 runs to compete in those three to four years.

“It was a hard time for Kuldeep. I think those tough times have made him a better bowler today. My bad luck is that I have to be a part of that bad phase in his life.

“I hope he understands what I did. I don’t want him to appreciate it and be ok with it. You have to take decisions for the team and there was nothing personal,” he said.

55 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He needs to be asked why are such a nut case under pressure.

Guy is a joke. Apart from a few good performances he did nothing of note. 

DK is one lucky dude despite his mediocrity.

26 tests, 94 ODIs, 60 T20Is. That's a lot. Then the IPL earnings, his captaincy stint with KKR. Married to the amazing Dipika Pallikal (thank you Murali Vijay), job with gold standard Sky Sports and Indian broadcasters. Life set. More capable people had/have to struggle so much for far less. 

Edited by Gollum

50 minutes ago, Gollum said:

KKR mishandled Kuldeep terribly. What were revolutionary leaders Baz and Morgan doing?

I agree with @New guy, most of these foreigners don't want the best Indian talent to prosper, lest they become hindrances for them in ICC tourneys. 

They were revolutionizing how to destroy brown/black talent. Most goras care more about int'l cricket than the SC+WI folks: they will do just about anything to win ICC tourneys (they would bowl underarm if they could get away with it).

12 minutes ago, Gollum said:

When Kuldeep's career is over, hope he publicly calls out everyone who tried to sabotage/undermine his career. Dropped after a test MOTM in Bangladesh, imagine the injustice. 

Do you want him to write the Mahabharat or something? He's probably been screwed more often than most. Played and dropped and played and dropped and so on

58 minutes ago, Gollum said:

KKR mishandled Kuldeep terribly. What were revolutionary leaders Baz and Morgan doing?

I agree with @New guy, most of these foreigners don't want the best Indian talent to prosper, lest they become hindrances for them in ICC tourneys. 

Baz did indirectly call out Gills safe batting with KKR tbh by saying some batsmen need to take more risks in the pp. Re kuldeep it seems as if even Indian tms were guilty of not supporting him during a tough time after he showed promise and won them many matches so I don't know how much we should blame foreign coaches in IPL teams for his plight at the time. 

He missed Dhoni's guidance behind the stumps too. 

25 minutes ago, Gollum said:

26 tests, 94 ODIs, 60 T20Is. That's a lot. Then the IPL earnings, his captaincy stint with KKR. Married to the amazing Dipika Pallikal (thank you Murali Vijay), job with gold standard Sky Sports and Indian broadcasters. Life set. More capable people had/have to struggle so much for far less. 

Especially for a career that overlapped completely with Dhoni's it's not bad at all. Parthiv Patel had chances but didn't take it. 

26 minutes ago, Gollum said:

classic case of mediocrity being rewarded, while greatness sometimes goes unnoticed or unrewarded.

Anyway hope Kuldeep helps us win a few ICC trophies and test series in SENA. Even with a shorter career, he can end up as one of the greatest ever. Plenty of ATGs/HOFers with just 50-60 tests. 

Just now, Gollum said:

Anyway hope Kuldeep helps us win a few ICC trophies and test series in SENA. Even with a shorter career, he can end up as one of the greatest ever. Plenty of ATGs/HOFers with just 50-60 tests. 

some with 30 (or less) tests too that I would put in the ATG category: george "atlas" headley, SF barnes, graeme pollock, barry richards, mike procter.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Only Shane Warne, David Warner, and Kane Williamson took the IPL seriously.

The rest were just passing time and playing for their salaries as captains or coaches. This includes Dale Steyn as well.

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Above all he has a house next to Rajini kanth :)

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

When Kuldeep's career is over, hope he publicly calls out everyone who tried to sabotage/undermine his career. Dropped after a test MOTM in Bangladesh, imagine the injustice. 

It is India's loss. I still believe he can be our best over OS spinner in Tests