Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

17 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

It is easier to master line and length and movement than gain pace after early 20s.

Siraj was quick just 2 years ago. They just need to identify the reasons for his loss of pace. That front knee of his  collapses way too much  currently . He hasnt had any back stress fracture of the back or anything that can cause a permanent loss in pace. He doesnt need a whole lot either. 5ks quicker and a higher release from a fully braced knee would do wonders 

I think we choose to be fast in judging why someone has lost pace. At times, we should also introspect as to why someone bowled quick on a particular day. What if the days Siraj bowled fast, he was in good rhythm? What if Siraj has been choosing to bowl at a pace he is most comfortable with? 

There are days when bowlers are in great rhythm and just naturally bowl quick. And vice versa. 

I see no reason why Siraj at this point should stress himself out on bowling quick. He may just be bowling at his comfortable best. Its not as if batsmen are hitting him out of the park for his pace. On the contrary, he is bowling well, scaring the batsmen and outsmarting them. If he increases his pace, well and good. But if he keeps taking wickets at this pace, who cares?

47 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Siraj was quick just 2 years ago. They just need to identify the reasons for his loss of pace. That front knee of his  collapses way too much  currently . He hasnt had any back stress fracture of the back or anything that can cause a permanent loss in pace. He doesnt need a whole lot either. 5ks quicker and a higher release from a fully braced knee would do wonders 

Are you sure his knee was braced before,there have been others who didn't have braced front knee but had no problem with pace

If Siraj had braced front leg before and it isn't now ,then there needs to slight rectification which you pointed out if not then he may get quick the more he plays as he seems to be a guy who needs confidence to perform

On 2/17/2021 at 11:11 AM, Rightarmfast said:

I think we choose to be fast in judging why someone has lost pace. At times, we should also introspect as to why someone bowled quick on a particular day. What if the days Siraj bowled fast, he was in good rhythm? What if Siraj has been choosing to bowl at a pace he is most comfortable with? 

There are days when bowlers are in great rhythm and just naturally bowl quick. And vice versa. 

I see no reason why Siraj at this point should stress himself out on bowling quick. He may just be bowling at his comfortable best. Its not as if batsmen are hitting him out of the park for his pace. On the contrary, he is bowling well, scaring the batsmen and outsmarting them. If he increases his pace, well and good. But if he keeps taking wickets at this pace, who cares?

Yes Siraj is doing well does not matter if he is bowling 130 or 140. 

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

A bowler faster than Brett Lee and Shoaib Akhtar isn't born yet.

I have never seen anyone ever as quick as Akhtar either, both in terms of tha naked eye and speed gun readings but Arnold has faced these guys so i felt I should share his opinion as it means something. 

14 hours ago, the don said:

Russell Arnold, the former srilanka batsman becomes another one in the list of ex cricketers who have said that Muhammad Zahid was quicker than Brett Lee and Shoaib akhtar 

Let me correct you buddy! Shoaib Akhtar stated Zahid was quicker than him. But Zahid was active around 95/6-97/98. During 98/99 Shoaib’s top speed was around 153-154. That is a stretch. He started crossing 155 post 2000.

so yes, Zahid at that point may have been bowling around 155-156. But both Shoaib, lee and also Bond were quicker than that at a later stage.

indian batsmen had problems facing Shoaib. But Zahid always came across as another medium pacer to them. Nobody was scared of Zahid. 
with due respect to Zahid, I think his pace is overrated.

15 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Let me correct you buddy! Shoaib Akhtar stated Zahid was quicker than him. But Zahid was active around 95/6-97/98. During 98/99 Shoaib’s top speed was around 153-154. That is a stretch. He started crossing 155 post 2000.

so yes, Zahid at that point may have been bowling around 155-156. But both Shoaib, lee and also Bond were quicker than that at a later stage.

indian batsmen had problems facing Shoaib. But Zahid always came across as another medium pacer to them. Nobody was scared of Zahid. 

did india really have problems with shoaib? i mean majority of the time post 2000 particularly after 2003, i have seen shoaib get carted quite often by india. Especially in tests. 

in odi too he got several phaintas in important matches. At one point Sehwag scared him to the point that he dint even want to play vs india iirc. 

shoaib did have his moments too ofcourse. Some breath-taking pace bowling. 

14 hours ago, rkt.india said:

A bowler faster than Brett Lee and Shoaib Akhtar isn't born yet.

What do you think about Thomson's speeds? The Aussies still brag about how he used to consistently hit late 90s and even cross 100mph once in a while. He certainly believes he was much faster than Shaun Tate. Any Idea?

7 hours ago, Jay said:

did india really have problems with shoaib? i mean majority of the time post 2000 particularly after 2003, i have seen shoaib get carted quite often by india. Especially in tests. 

in odi too he got several phaintas in important matches. At one point Sehwag scared him to the point that he dint even want to play vs india iirc. 

shoaib did have his moments too ofcourse. Some breath-taking pace bowling. 

Shoaib's fastest years were done by 2004. He was not consistently fast 2004 onwards. His pace was a lot more consistent in the 99-04 period. 

7 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

What about Sami? I remember he was really fast as well in early 2000s

15 minutes ago, Serpico said:

sami was indeed very quick. 145 on average. but he was so wayward so i am not sure if it even counts. atleast shaun tait wasnt as wayward. 

tait was the fastest on average but i dont recall him doing well in tests. barely played tests. 

lee or shoaib next probably shaoib

sami

bond 

17 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

The only time I saw chucktar live was in Delhi test in 2007/08. His chucking had become blatant and was frighteningly quick in one particular spell where bowled Dravid. My already high respect for SRT went a few notches up seeing how calmly he dealt with him.

PS: This was the series where Shoaib lugged a plush toy tiger around and made love with it before cameras.

dont think shoaib was chucking tbf. he had hyperextension. he did take steroids though. so there is that issue. 

46 minutes ago, Serpico said:

He was fast. Interesting case though. Sami started off as fast medium, bowling around 137-143ish and at times touched 145. BUt after 2-3 yrs in international cricket, he suddenly started bowling in 150's. Bowled in excess of 155 on many occasions.