Anil Kumble: Head coach [Update Post 141: Kumble will teach India to deal with 'tough moments']

14 hours ago, maniac said:

K...similarly another legendary ex-player might have a lot of clout with selections too especially if he runs a sports management firm,

After Supreme court's decsion I dont think these things will happen anymore.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:02 PM, Austin 3:!6 said:

It was a pretty poor team which toured Zimb and in T20s there are always chances that minnows will upset you sometimes.That is the nature of the game. Zimb just won a T20 series in BD. Didnt we lose 1 T20 last year as well in Zimbabwe? Dont remember who was our captain but no one raised question back then. Under MS, India had unbeaten 11-12 T20 winning streak...no one praised. But but but..1 t20 lost in Zimb and all hell break loose. No one remembers how we mauled the same zimb in ODIs. Its all about that 1 T20 which we lost.

Rubbish.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Dhoni as a captain is definitely shrewd clever and smart- nobody in the world can deny that.

but he is biased against Pacers as he finds it tuf to keep.

His Batting has gone down really big and that's why he retired from Tests and his performance in IPL was Bad and even in Zimbabwe he batted really badly...he looked really out of form.

Naman ojha should be our wicket keeper and he will definitely replace Saha soon.

30 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Dhoni as a captain is definitely shrewd clever and smart- nobody in the world can deny that.

but he is biased against Pacers as he finds it tuf to keep.

His Batting has gone down really big and that's why he retired from Tests and his performance in IPL was Bad and even in Zimbabwe he batted really badly...he looked really out of form.

Naman ojha should be our wicket keeper and he will definitely replace Saha soon.

I don't buy that argument at all. 

I have never seen any keeper struggling because of the high pace of the ball. I've never seen any keeper dropping catches, getting injured or look inadequate, only because of fast bowling. Never heard a keeper or player or commentator alluding to it either.

Dhoni's disinterest in fast bowling has nothing to do with his keeping, and everything to do with his captaincy.

He does not really get fast bowling. As simple as that. His game plan as captain is highly dependent on consistency and predictability. In his own mind he feels in control of the game as captain with relatively consistent medium pacers as against relatively inconsistent fast bowlers.

19 hours ago, maniac said:

Again......Of course if I have personal preferences it won't have a serious consequence just like you might like or dislike some players....no big deal....but If I become an administrator or get into a management role than if I support players or have preferences that becomes a problem...case in point-Tenvic

On what basis are you concluding that Kumble will give preferential treatment for Karnataka players ? The role of Tenvic is all again speculation and when BCCI has confirmed that the conflict of interest will be resolved , I see no reason to judge him at this point . 

20 hours ago, maniac said:

Gary Kirsten benefitted from being at the right time at the right place...in a team that was full of superstars and at it's peak....also he was smart to know when to call quits.

Duncan Fletcher and Kirsten are the 2 sides of the same coin.

They both were good man-managers but their strategy was totally lacking

Now on the other end there is Greg Chappell....whose talent pool initiative gave us players who won India many games but was a string personality who did not know how to man-manage and turned out to be a disaster.

The ideal candidate should be someone who is a mix of both but obviously no one is perfect.

Given that we don't have those kind of legendary names anymore bar 1-2 players,it is better if we go with someone who is 70% Chappell and 30% Kirsten.

And I know Kumble is not that guy......Kumble has no experience as a strategist at any level,leave alone IPL-Yes he was a captain for a brief period and had the respect of team players and will still continue to have.

As a man manager Kumble doesn't need anything specific as all the kids in the dressing room will be in awe

but

Kumble's has clouded talent management.....He was never a great technician in his day with the bat or ball, his presence will put him in autocratic postion.

Mark my words....I don't say things with this much conviction...speaking purely from cricketing acumen...this is a ticking time bomb a disaster........We will be back to the glory days of Sujith Somasunder,Dodda Ganesh and David Johnson with a mediocre Sunil Joshi earning a regular spots keeping out other talented spinners

Again this was the period Karnataka team was very strong & where Ranji champions . Sujit & Ganesh where leading the batting and bowling charts that season , David Johnson was hyped as a pace sensation . Joshi was far from mediocre & the reason he was given multiple chances was cos Ganguly was looking for a All rounder / pinch hitter kind of player and Joshi could bat a bit & he did have some match winning bowling performances as well  . They are just international failures , but they where picked for the same reason as Dravid , Kumble or Srinath where picked . 

Sunil Joshi's record for India :

Bowling :

15 Tests 41 wickets at 35 

69 ODI 69 Wkts at 36 and ER of 4.4 

Batting :

15 Tests avg 20

69 ODI avg of 17 

On 6/25/2016 at 7:27 AM, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Kumbles appointment will mean that TENvic people will be back in contention.SC guidelines may ask him to not be directly linked with TENvic but he will still be there.

It was no coincidence that when Kumble was KSCA chief and he supported Srini in the BCCI,TENvic guys got into the Indian team.

Also Manish Pandey alleged that he was threatened by TENvic to sign up with them or his career will be destroyed.

If Kumble tries these tricks again we are doomed.

Ganguly in his effort to sideline Shastri may have done a great disservice to Indian Cricket.

oh now Kumble is the new Srini, you are a funny guy. Do you always want a mumbaikar at helm ? understand and respect principles of Democracy.

Edited by Vilander
oh now Kumble is the new Srini, you are a funny guy. Do you always want a mumbaikar at helm ? understand and respect principles of Democracy.

Kumble?Srini?What are you on?

Neither Shastri Nor Kumble deserved to be the coach.Simply not qualified.

Dada didnt want Shastri due to personal reasons and the only way he could get rid of Shastri was by supporting Kumble.

To be a consistent team. (We have to) look to win everywhere on all surfaces, in all conditions and not just at home,” he said.

“I alone will not decide and strive to achieve that; everybody involved must be on the same page, sit down and plan to achieve this goal. The coach’s role is to be in the background. It is always players first,” he said.

“One needs to achieve a consensus. If the team doesn’t buy into the idea, I cannot force things. If the team does not own the idea, it can never feel comfortable implementing it."

“It was about leading India up to the 2019 ICC World Cup. The roadmap was (put forth). The idea was to get them to look at it, and add value to it. (I wanted to) involve all the stakeholders, including selectors, junior team players and junior team coaches.”

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/there-is-absolutely-no-conflict-of-interest-says-indias-coach-anil-kumble-2882016/

50 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Dada didnt want Shastri due to personal reasons and the only way he could get rid of Shastri was by supporting Kumble.

That is not the sharpest move...especially when the likes of Moody etc who were way qualified had applied.

When did it become a Shastri vs Kumble fight.

Dada letting his emotions cloud his personal judgement.

8 hours ago, philcric said:

I don't buy that argument at all. 

I have never seen any keeper struggling because of the high pace of the ball. I've never seen any keeper dropping catches, getting injured or look inadequate, only because of fast bowling. Never heard a keeper or player or commentator alluding to it either.

Dhoni's disinterest in fast bowling has nothing to do with his keeping, and everything to do with his captaincy.

He does not really get fast bowling. As simple as that. His game plan as captain is highly dependent on consistency and predictability. In his own mind he feels in control of the game as captain with relatively consistent medium pacers as against relatively inconsistent fast bowlers.

Though I m not a keeper I hv kept ..

While gathering if it's not smooth. .it always hits n gloves don't guard that much.

That's why keepers have sore hands.

It's tuf ..it's really hard on hands...when I kept 30 percent of my gathering hit my hands.

That's why dhoni really goes behind to gather against genuine quick. I mean too behind.

3 hours ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

alrite if you are not on something neither am i, so no apparent reason to link anything disingenuous with Kumble.  Thats the outcome here. Kumble got one year not a 3 year cycle, so all will know if he is good fairly quickly.

3 hours ago, maniac said:

That is not the sharpest move...especially when the likes of Moody etc who were way qualified had applied.

When did it become a Shastri vs Kumble fight.

Dada letting his emotions cloud his personal judgement.

but do you want to discount the fact that Kumble could have had some genuinely workable plan for the year ? maybe that would work better given the fact that he'd know the team and setup here better than someone like Moody ? and not had plenty of time to show what he can do like Sashtri.

Shastri says it was not like he was sitting for an interview for a position of CEO in one of his press interactions. This might give us a view into his approach to the whole selection process, if he respected it enough, well one can not speculate but that does not sound lot like a guy who thought he'd have to present his plans well to be accepted for the role, more like someone super confident and entitled who thought it was his right to get the job. However good, such a candidate would mostly not work well for any role. No wonder Kumble beat him to the job.

2 hours ago, Vilander said:

Shastri says it was not like he was sitting for an interview for a position of CEO in one of his press interactions. This might give us a view into his approach to the whole selection process, if he respected it enough, well one can not speculate but that does not sound lot like a guy who thought he'd have to present his plans well to be accepted for the role, more like someone super confident and entitled who thought it was his right to get the job. However good, such a candidate would mostly not work well for any role. No wonder Kumble beat him to the job.

The cheerleader was in a bikini on a beach in Thailand when he gave his interview via Skype. 

The sight of Shastri in a thong got too much for Ganguly and that's why he had to leave that part of the interview.

It's not about me or Shastri, it's about the players: Kumble

Graciously skirting the controversy surrounding the snub Ravi Shastri received during his job interview, the newly-appointed Indian coach Anil Kumble on Wednesday said it's the players who are the most significant part of the system and no one else.

Sourav Ganguly, one of the three members of the Board of Control for Cricket in India's Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC), had absented himself when Shastri appeared for the interview, leaving the former Team India Director miffed.

Kumble, speaking to media after taking charge as the India coach, said neither he nor Shastri or any other official is as important as the players.

"I was the first one to call Ravi after chosen as the head coach. He did a wonderful job with the Indian team. And it's not about Ravi or me or anyone else. It's about the players, it's about the team," Kumble said during his first press conference as Team India coach.

"From my point of view, we all want Indian team to do well, and perform at its best. We all believe that India team has the potential to dominate all three formats. He was part of this journey and (now) I am part of this journey. That's all what I have to say. He congratulated me and I told him we have a fantastic team.

"It could be somebody else tomorrow. I am not permanent here in this role. I have an opportunity to make a difference and I have an opportunity to be part of a journey. I am privileged and honoured to be part of this journey," he said.

After being overlooked for the job, Shastri had slammed Ganguly, claiming the former India captain was disrespectful to him and the job he was entrusted with.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/report/its-not-about-me-or-ravi-shastri-its-about-the-players-anil-kumble-west-indies-india/20160629.htm