Is Ashwin heading towards the league of the great Kapil Dev?

3 hours ago, diga said:

Kapil & Sunny Gavaskar are not the best of friends.. Read somewhere about Kapil accusing Gavaskar of under performing during his tenure

When Sunny was captain he dropped Kapil from a test for playing an Afridiesque shot when the team needed a long innings from him.  Passionate bengalis were so pissed at Sunny that they threw  rotten fruit at his wife in the stands.  Gavaskar went on record after that saying he will never play in Calcutta again.  IIRC there was a big question in 1987 WC that since final is at Eden Gardens, will Sunny play if India make the final.  Kapil's moronic field placing allowed England to sweep their way to the final and the question never came up.  

16 hours ago, diga said:

Kapil & Sunny Gavaskar are not the best of friends.. Read somewhere about Kapil accusing Gavaskar of under performing during his tenure

Yaar! That was sarcasm. As a fan , i allways felt, We were allways in the game as long as Kapil was to bat or batting. He is a rarest of rare gem.we are Comparing a 100+ carat diamond with something which isnt even polished yet.

Thank you laloo
4 hours ago, sandeep said:

When Sunny was captain he dropped Kapil from a test for playing an Afridiesque shot when the team needed a long innings from him.  Passionate bengalis were so pissed at Sunny that they threw  rotten fruit at his wife in the stands.  Gavaskar went on record after that saying he will never play in Calcutta again.  IIRC there was a big question in 1987 WC that since final is at Eden Gardens, will Sunny play if India make the final.  Kapil's moronic field placing allowed England to sweep their way to the final and the question never came up.  

:doh: Eden Gardens always acts up - especially if its Sourav Ganguly related. In this case Kapil Dev. But throwing at SunnyG's wife!? That's too much.

@sandeep  did Kapil Dev not protect deep square leg, deep midwicket regions against England 1987...shed some light on this field setting blunder. I dont remember the details...will be good to hear.

Edited by fineleg
15 hours ago, fineleg said:

:doh: Eden Gardens always acts up - especially if its Sourav Ganguly related. In this case Kapil Dev. But throwing at SunnyG's wife!? That's too much.

@sandeep  did Kapil Dev not protect deep square leg, deep midwicket regions against England 1987...shed some light on this field setting blunder. I dont remember the details...will be good to hear.

I was a kid back then, but I distinctly remember England milking our bowling constantly for 1s and 2s by sweeping.  He had deep fielders in place, but they wouldn't stop those singles and doubles.  It was frustrating to watch. He never plugged that gap the whole damn game.  Kapil was never the greatest on-field captain in terms of strategy anyway, but this one was so obvious, even to a kid. And then on top of this, when its all down to him to win the game with the bat, he played a foolish airy swipe right down the throat of midwicket.  

^ I didn't watch the game. We had radio. Sweep shot was one of favourite run stroking shots by visitors against our spinners. Despite one drop chance and one lbw apeal, scoring a 100 was no mean feat. Lets not belittle it.

By the time Kapil came to bat we had RRR over 6 i.e. Match was gone unless paaji delivers. He scored 30+ runs too(chkd scorecard), Once out i was certain that we are out of the world cup.

In them days, Team didnt knew how to chase a 250+. Gooch was allways too good against us By the time we had tele, all i rememeber is Gooch allways piling runs against us.

22 minutes ago, mishra said:

^ I didn't watch the game. We had radio. Sweep shot was one of favourite run stroking shots by visitors against our spinners. Despite one drop chance and one lbw apeal, scoring a 100 was no mean feat. Lets not belittle it.

By the time Kapil came to bat we had RRR over 6 i.e. Match was gone unless paaji delivers. He scored 30+ runs too(chkd scorecard), Once out i was certain that we are out of the world cup.

In them days, Team didnt knew how to chase a 250+. Gooch was allways too good against us By the time we had tele, all i rememeber is Gooch allways piling runs against us.

Mishy bhai, I watched it.  When batsmen are sweeping practically every second ball, its not enough to just put 2 guys at deep square and deep midwicket.  That's what Kapil did and sat on his heels.  I dont blame him much for the batting blunder because 5 were down already, and other batsmen failed.  But the field placing and poor strategy is on Chacha Chaudhary's head for sure.  

1 hour ago, fineleg said:

As Gatting later recalled in an interview with ICC Cricket, “Graham Gooch practised for two days by sweeping the left-arm spinners at the nets. He kept playing the shot in front of square and behind square at the nets and got ready for the game.”

http://www.cricketcountry.com/articles/world-cup-1987-semi-final-graham-gooch-sweeps-indian-dreams-aside-245319

even miandad practised about 1000+ cut shots in the nets before the series against india where he and zaheer abbas piled on a lot of runs..

Edited by Temujin Khaghan
10 hours ago, sandeep said:

Mishy bhai, I watched it.  When batsmen are sweeping practically every second ball, its not enough to just put 2 guys at deep square and deep midwicket.  That's what Kapil did and sat on his heels.  I dont blame him much for the batting blunder because 5 were down already, and other batsmen failed.  But the field placing and poor strategy is on Chacha Chaudhary's head for sure.  

Below is you tube link. It says Vengasarakar has pulled out because of illness.  Watch how Srikanth gets out. He is watching over the bowlers head while trying to hit a full delivery. Thats sums up technical depth "the team" and "management" had about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGPrc7eUww

The reason we became hopeful about reliance Cup was because we managed to give a very tough fight to Australia, else unlike now, England Australia, Pakistan, West Indies all the four teams used to beat us regularly.

So if anything, players like Paaji Azhar,Vengsarkarkar and performance of Sunny G century against Kiwis gave us a outside fighting chance.

Ashwin has long way to go to be in the same level as the great  Kapil.Firstly  his batting stats are not that of an all rounder in 1 dayers.He also needs to prove much more in bowling  out side  subcontinent. His test batting too needs some quality knocks against stronger teams &  outside subcontinent.Also Ashwin lags way behind   in fielding when compared to Kapil. And Kapil was a brilliant captain himself.

Kapil was a genuine  all rounder with a str: rate of almost 81 when 40-45 was the norm.He could murder quality bowling attacks to shreds.  

He played nonstop cricket( first 62 tests in mere 5 years & 5 months) and hence had enormous work load on his shoulders, Kapil had very weak support bowling unit even in home conditions,Kapil was a brilliant captain who won a world cup, He was the best all rounder against  the best team of his era  etc etc.People who evaluate Kapil  need to take into account all these factors before rating him. As they say stats with out context is meaning less. This is  absolutely spot on in the case of Kapil

Ashwin has long way to go to be in the same level as the great  Kapil.Firstly  his batting stats are not that of an all rounder in 1 dayers.He also needs to prove much more in bowling  out side  subcontinent. His test batting too needs some quality knocks against stronger teams &  outside subcontinent.Also Ashwin lags way behind   in fielding when compared to Kapil. And Kapil was a brilliant captain himself.

Kapil was a genuine  all rounder with a str: rate of almost 81 when 40-45 was the norm.He could murder quality bowling attacks to shreds.  

He played nonstop cricket( first 62 tests in mere 5 years & 5 months) and hence had enormous work load on his shoulders, Kapil had very weak support bowling unit even in home conditions,Kapil was a brilliant captain who won a world cup, He was the best all rounder against  the best team of his era  etc etc.People who evaluate Kapil  need to take into account all these factors before rating him. As they say stats with out context is meaning less. This is  absolutely spot on in the case of Kapil

I never saw kapil to know how great he was.....

But, Ashwin all-round career is pretty new. He is taking additional batting responsibility with bat only from last 2 series and already played some match winning innings with the bat.

For me, he is the best test allrounder in the world right now. If he continues like this, he will certainly be up there with the best alltime allrounders.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, gakgupta said:

I never saw kapil to know how great he was.....

But, Ashwin all-round career is pretty new. He is taking additional batting responsibility with bat only from last 2 series and already played some match winning innings with the bat.

For me, he is the best test allrounder in the world right now. If he continues like this, he will certainly be up there with the best alltime allrounders.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Some very important knocks yes. But not yet Match Winning ones.