Who names their kid knowing that the name is that of a tyrant?

coffee_rules

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:33 PM, Mariyam said:

How come no outrage when the other Khan named his son Aryan?? After, you know, the invading tribes that subdued and displaced the locals of the Indus Valley region. The actual sons/daughters of the soil.

The name Taimur predates the barbaric emperor Timur. To say that the couple named the kid after the Central Asian conqueror is pure conjecture on the part of the OP.

As an aside, the worst name for a star kid is Mimoh/Mahaakshay. Why do parents do that to their kids? 

I think its more about offending sensibilities, nothing more..nothing else

This is what Saif has to say over the internet pseudo-outrage:

http://www.businessinsider.in/saif-ali-khan-reveals-why-kareena-and-him-named-their-son-taimur-ali-khan/articleshow/56642431.cms

"I'm aware of the heritage of the Turkish ruler and my son was not named after him," Khan said. "He was Timur, my son is Taimur. Perhaps the root is similar but it's not the same name. Taimur is an ancient Persian name, meaning iron." 

Elaborating on the reason behind naming their son Taimur, he said, "Both my wife and I liked its sound and the meaning. In fact, of all the names I ran by Kareena, she liked this one the best because it's beautiful and strong. Taimur was the name of a boy I had grown up with and a cousin too. It's an old family name, like Sara who was also named after a cousin I admired."

^

Saif doesn't know much about history (which is understandable). But Turks are highly iranicized central asians. basically, to oversimplify, the difference between Mongols & Turks, is that Turks were Persianized, Mongols were Sinified. In Turkic, Timur also means 'iron'. In this respect, the Persian name is actually borrowed from Turkic, since Persian root for 'iron' is actually 'Shin-jr', where the word 'Khanjar' (Sword/knife) comes from. And Persian from of the name ranges from Khingala, Sanjar, etc.

Edited by Muloghonto

This is what Saif has to say over the internet pseudo-outrage:

http://www.businessinsider.in/saif-ali-khan-reveals-why-kareena-and-him-named-their-son-taimur-ali-khan/articleshow/56642431.cms

"I'm aware of the heritage of the Turkish ruler and my son was not named after him," Khan said. "He was Timur, my son is Taimur. Perhaps the root is similar but it's not the same name. Taimur is an ancient Persian name, meaning iron." 

Elaborating on the reason behind naming their son Taimur, he said, "Both my wife and I liked its sound and the meaning. In fact, of all the names I ran by Kareena, she liked this one the best because it's beautiful and strong. Taimur was the name of a boy I had grown up with and a cousin too. It's an old family name, like Sara who was also named after a cousin I admired."

They have the same meaning..Timur,Taimur,Taimuraz

Turco-Mongols were heavily influenced by Persian culture..See the Blue Mosque

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I really couldn't care any lesser about what the name Taimur means , nor about its genesis. Saif Ali Khan's statement makes some things clear though: that there was no malicious hidden message in the name, and that the kid isn't named after Taimur the conqueror.

That is something Saif has categorically stated. 

@Tibarn In one of the links that Muloghonto/Vilander have posted earlier in this thread, there have been Taimurs before Taimur the conqueror. So its not a name introduced by him at all. Popularized one could argue, but not introduced by him.

12 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I really couldn't care any lesser about what the name Taimur means , nor about its genesis. Saif Ali Khan's statement makes some things clear though: that there was no malicious hidden message in the name, and that the kid isn't named after Taimur the conqueror.

That is something Saif has categorically stated. 

@Tibarn In one of the links that Muloghonto/Vilander have posted earlier in this thread, there have been Taimurs before Taimur the conqueror. So its not a name introduced by him at all. Popularized one could argue, but not introduced by him.

Actually, it wasn't even Tamerlane who popularized the name Timur. 

Timuar was popularized by the likes of Mongke Timur, Togha Timur, Temur Khan, etc. who were all direct descendants of Genghis Khan or his brother Hasar. It seems to be a name, atleast till the rise of Tamerlane, that was used almost exclusively by members of the House of Borgijin, aka the family of Genghis Khan.

13 hours ago, Mariyam said:

This settles it, he is Taimur a turkish name and not Timur folks..be at peace. The baby looks cute though.