Dhoni Fans troll Ashwin

CG

Your strawman fallacy arguement reminds me of UG and others who would bring up others to defend dhoni .I thought you are one of more reasonable dhoni fan.You implied That.Also Least we forget he got cheered and his house got stoned in his hometown also effigies burnt after loss .

How does any of that change the fact he is still hugely popular in India .

5 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

How does any of that change the fact he is still hugely popular in India .

Who disagrees as i earlier mentioned afridi is hugely popular as well.The argument you made came in response to Criticism of dhoni on icf Implying Majority view (which is not factual with no data).I would like to believe even if minuscule opinion matters.

9 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Reality

The sheer volume of numbers is testiment to that

I would like to believe in case of other sports and better internet penetration u get more and best of fans on clubs commnity forum,fanboards.

Edited by CG
Who disagrees as i earlier mentioned afridi is hugely popular as well.The argument you made came in response to Criticism of dhoni on icf Implying Majority view (which is not factual with no data).I would like to believe even if minuscule opinion matters.

The point I made was ICF view on Dhoni isn't the real view in India.Unlike in ICF where he is a highly polarising figure , he is still hugely popular in India .It's factual and quantifiable (brand value ).

It's pointless what matters or not as its individual preference .In fact it was a reply to Austin who himself is a Dhoni fan.

4 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

The point I made was ICF view on Dhoni isn't the real view in India.Unlike in ICF where he is a highly polarising figure , he is still hugely popular in India .It's factual and quantifiable (brand value ).

Popularity of a player among the masses is a result of the ability of that player to entertain the masses / capture their imagination  as well as how much that particular player has been marketed.

It may or may not be reflective of the effectiveness of that particular player from the point of view of the team.

Anil Kumble and Ravi Ashwin are not that popular among the masses but the duo have won more matches for India than any other players.

Before the T20 era, a high percentage of the fans who went to the field to watch were more the passionate fans who supported their favourites through thick and thin.  Very few of them were objective in their analysis regarding their favourite and hated players or teams.

In cricket forums like this one, there are a few such fans as well    ( including one very bad quality poster who basically insults everybody in almost every post and everyone knows who he is )  ........but you get a higher percentage of  objective fans, who may have their favourites but gauge the actual performances  and failures  of the players being discussed.

People who go to watch T20s  include a high percentage of casual fans who don't know much about cricket and go to the field to have a picnic.  They are aware of only big names like Kohli, Dhoni etc. and do not have much idea about their performances.

Edited by express bowling

Popularity of a player among the masses is a result of the ability of that player to entertain the masses / capture their imagination  as well as how much that particular player has been marketed.

It may or may not be reflective of the effectiveness of that particular player from the point of view of the team.

Anil Kumble and Ravi Ashwin are not that popular among the masses but the duo have won more matches for India than any other players.

Before the T20 era, a high percentage of the fans who went to the field to watch were more the passionate fans who supported their favourites through thick and thin.  Very few of them were objective in their analysis regarding their favourite and hated players or teams.

In cricket forums like this one, there are a few such fans as well    ( including one very bad quality poster who basically insults everybody in almost every post and everyone knows who he is )  ........but you get a higher percentage of  objective fans, who may have their favourites but gauge the actual performances  and failures  of the players being discussed.

People who go to watch T20s  include a high percentage of casual fans who don't know much about cricket and go to the field to have a picnic.  They are aware of only big names like Kohli, Dhoni etc. and do not have much idea about their performances.

It's true High percentage of fans are casual fans.They mostly go for entertainment .If you ever heard interview's of fans you would know mostly they have no clue.You see some young girl on Twitter asking Ashwin he forgot Dhoni 😅😀.

Bcci under Srini made commentators sign clauses they would not speak against Dhoni nor selection .You can see the type of information control we had .Good that SC is cleaning the game.

Only in test cricket.In ODIs they aren't that much of a match winners and that's what really matters in India .

Simply not true .Fans were just as fickle then . Remember the semi final in Kolkata in 1996 or the time when Gavaskar was booed ?

Infact Suresh Menon mentioned the same thing in the cover article for India 500 tests book where he mentioned Indian captain's after Pataudi (this is 70s) became negative because they were afraid of fickle nature of Indian fans if they lose.Gavaskar in particular was so afraid that he often wanted to produce flat wickets to ensure India doesn't lose.Hence his captaincy record in test cricket in 47 tests is 9 won 8 lost and 30 (65 percent ) drawn.

Considering all these and the behaviour of the crowd in the last decade , if anything crowds are lot more mature than in the past.

It's just nostalgia nonsense that somehow crowds in the past were more passionate or knowledgeable

58 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Only in test cricket.In ODIs they aren't that much of a match winners and that's what really matters in India .

Kumble is the highest wicket-taker in our ODI history and has been instrumental in winning many ODI matches.  

Simply not true .Fans were just as fickle then . Remember the semi final in Kolkata in 1996 or the time when Gavaskar was booed ?

Infact Suresh Menon mentioned the same thing in the cover article for India 500 tests book where he mentioned Indian captain's after Pataudi (this is 70s) became negative because they were afraid of fickle nature of Indian fans if they lose.Gavaskar in particular was so afraid that he often wanted to produce flat wickets to ensure India doesn't lose.Hence his captaincy record in test cricket in 47 tests is 9 won 8 lost and 30 (65 percent ) drawn.

That is what I said.....all these incidents just show the passionate nature of a high percentage of stadium-going- fans rather than being objective in their reaction.   The die hard fans of individual stars almost always support their favourites...... but the more passion and less objectivity behaviour pattern generally reign in the stadium.

Considering all these and the behaviour of the crowd in the last decade , if anything crowds are lot more mature than in the past.

It's just nostalgia nonsense that somehow crowds in the past were more passionate or knowledgeable

I was not calling the past test and ODI crowds better than current ones.  They were definitely not more knowledgeable but perhaps more passionate and unreasonable.  

I was comparing crowds in T20 matches, especially in the IPLs,   with ODI and test crowds.    In T20 matches, I see a lot of ladies and children go, families go as a whole and they are not necessarily that interested or knowledgeable about the cricket going on but want to enjoy the atmosphere and excitement.

Edited by express bowling

I was not calling the past test and ODI crowds better than current ones.  They were definitely not more knowledgeable but perhaps more passionate and unreasonable.  

I was comparing crowds in T20 matches, especially in the IPLs,   with ODI and test crowds.    In T20 matches, I see a lot of ladies and children go, families go as a whole and they are not necessarily that interested or knowledgeable about the cricket going on but want to enjoy the atmosphere and excitement.

Yes agree but it also attracts huge numbers of youngsters who are very passionate about it.

Particularly the regional rivalry in IPL had kindled the passion which was gone from Ranji trophy for decades .

Dhoni is somehow the luckiest man in Indian cricket and therefore India, he never was best player in tests nor odis. He was god awful in T20s and yet somehow had this mythical image that he was Mr. Sixer.People here make fun of Pakistanis for adoring Afridi , how is it different for Indians,Dhoni is Indian version of Afridi. India will start winning odis and t20s the moment  Dhoni is not captain of Indian team.

Edited by putrevus
1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Dhoni is somehow the luckiest man in Indian cricket and therefore India, he never was best player in tests nor odis. He was god awful in T20s and yet somehow had this mythical image that he was Mr. Sixer.People here make fun of Pakistanis for adoring Afridi , how is it different for Indians,Dhoni is Indian version of Afridi. India will start winning odis and t20s the moment  Dhoni is not captain of Indian team.

While alot of it is true but not everything, Dhoni at his time was a very good Odi batsmen and unmatched finisher, probably India's greatest ODi batter along with Kohli.

But he has been very poor in last 4 years n his captaincy has waned as well.

Yes test cricket wasn't his game n def he wasn't good enough to captain test side especially away from home coz in India he could just employ the one ploy he knew.But realistically no one can undermine his odi career n success.

Dhoni avg 50+ in ODI cricket where as Afridi avg late 20s. On top of that huge difference in match winning and captaincy skills between them.

Did you just compare Dhoni with Afridi? Really???

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

While alot of it is true but not everything, Dhoni at his time was a very good Odi batsmen and unmatched finisher, probably India's greatest ODi batter along with Kohli.

But he has been very poor in last 4 years n his captaincy has waned as well.

Yes test cricket wasn't his game n def he wasn't good enough to captain test side especially away from home coz in India he could just employ the one ploy he knew.But realistically no one can undermine his odi career n success.

test cricket i agree..

but check the stats before commenting abt his odi performance