Our power hitters in Loi's!! Who are they?

I know a lot of people go just by statistics , but half of our ODI teams problem is Sharma at the top . Sucks the momentum out using up the power plays for his personal scores . When chasing if hes set always gets out at the wrong time . Dhawan though is inconsitent is a much better LOI batsmen then him . 

We are back to batting like 90s . We need aggressive openers who can set the tempo . I will take a batsmen who averages 35 if he does not waste power plays . 

9 hours ago, jusarrived said:

I know a lot of people go just by statistics , but half of our ODI teams problem is Sharma at the top . Sucks the momentum out using up the power plays for his personal scores . When chasing if hes set always gets out at the wrong time . Dhawan though is inconsitent is a much better LOI batsmen then him . 

We are back to batting like 90s . We need aggressive openers who can set the tempo . I will take a batsmen who averages 35 if he does not waste power plays . 

I agree with u totally and i have been complaining about how we have not been using powerplay well

But also the reality is both dhawan n rohit have done well as individual. But as a combo they havent had to much impact in pressure and difficult conditions. Despite being a left-right combo they dont rotate much and both takes time to get going. Both are not technically that great as result many times there is no momentum.

SO this combo needs to be changed, but since both have done well one has to be sacrificed. For me ill choose to give up on dhawan if he doesnt do well this Odi series. SO if dhawan fails or even if Rahul does better ill go with Rahul . Change in partner might help other persons game , if not well i wud like to try Nair or pant. But not now. 

I agree dhawan has been a gun player in ICC 50 over tournament but ill still prefer to stick with Rohit. 

• Rohit has performed consistently over 2-3 yrs
  • Had made huge scores
  • IF he n dhawan are set , as opp captain ill be really worried about Rohit. Coz he knws a way to score big and that to real quick. 
  • Dhawan has lost place in test and his t20 days are numbered so him being in that flow might be difficult.
  • Rohit is a better fielder than dhawan so he adds more value
  • In middle overs, Rohit destroys spin and dhawan gets out on it specially against right arm off spin.
  • Against Pace n bounce rohit is better, against movement both are bad equally
  • Under pressure yes Dhawan is better but thats just one point. 
  • Rohit can play all round the ground but dhawan gets a bit stuck when bowled in his chest and he has to play it on leg side. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
9 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Wrong.

Rohit as shown by not 1 or 2 or 3 but multiple performances eg;Aus ODI tour,2 200's,innings against South Africa,WC QF etc etc once set can more than make up for it...he can literally put scores out of opposition's reach....so Rohit does have a capability to go from ball 1 like he has shown in the past but clearly the team plan is to have players play around him while he gets set and launches into the opposition.

So No Rohit is playing according to plan,however what would help is Rohit partnering up with someone like say a Sehwag who goes from ball 1 to ease pressure on him and helps him get set faster and that is why Dhawan is or was so important where as pairing up with Rahane is a bigger disaster....Now Dhawan being out of touch doesn't help either.

So clearly your bias and hate shows up in the post....BTW what about Dhoni who has been sucking up the momentum in the slog overs in T20's leave alone ODI's?

Edited by maniac
5 minutes ago, maniac said:

So No Rohit is playing according to plan,however what would help is Rohit partnering up with someone like say a Sehwag who goes from ball 1 to ease pressure on him and helps him get set faster and that is why Dhawan is or was so important where as pairing up with Rahane is a bigger disaster....Now Dhawan being out of touch doesn't help either.

Yup, A new partner needs to be tried with Rohit.

KL or may be a Pant/kishen type.

IF one of them comes good as opener and at 4- Nair/Rahul/Pant emerges we could have one of the most destructive top 4

Nio Pintu Parcha references please 

Here are some based on IPL but I am sure the posters who watch domestics much more closely will have more names...we need our Maxwell,Butler,Miller or even Jason Roy...if they turn out to be the next AB,Warner,De Kock than that will be a bonus...but who are the guys who just tee off from ball 1.

So far I can think of

Pant

Sarfaraz

Nitish Rana

Krunal Pandya

Surya Kumar Yadav

Any more names?

Edited by maniac
1 minute ago, maniac said:

Is Ishan Kishen a power hitter :confused: ....thought the reason why Pant was getting the hype over him was due to Pant's power game.

Kishan was hitting a lot of shots very powerfully in the recently televised Ranji match where he scored 80 odd

Not just 6s but his attempted 4s are often very powerful hits.

He hit Mohit Sharma, trying to bowl quick,  for a couple of 6s with utter disdain and loads of power

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

Shreyas Iyer has crazy S/R's...not sure he is a Maxwell type player though...seems more in the Kohli mould...don't know if he can qualify as a power hitter.

Shreyas Iyer is more a timer of the ball ......his batting style is nothing like Kohli's.

Kohli depends on powerfully punched ground shots and a good defense.

Shryas Iyer plays a lot of aerial shots, depends mainly on timing,  takes risks and his defense is sometimes a bit dodgy.