Rilee Rossow effectively retires from international cricket

prinzo

Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced on Thursday that the national contract of Kyle Abbott has been terminated by mutual agreement with immediate effect.

This follows the recent confirmation by Abbott that he has committed to take up a Kolpak contract at the start of the forthcoming England season.

CSA is in the process of following similar process with batsman, Rilee Rossouw, who has also committed to a Kolpak contract

Neither player will henceforth be considered for any future national selection.

“Regrettably we have no option but to severe our ties with both Abbott and Rossouw as they are no longer available for South Africa,” commented CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat.

“It is a disappointing day not just for South African cricket but also for international cricket as these players have given up their opportunity to be seen in action on the international circuit.

“From CSA’s perspective it is a loss as we invest immeasurable amounts which include premium time, finance, technical, high performance coaching followed by development tours and providing general player welfare over a long period of time. By way of example, Rilee has spent a lengthy period on the injury list while we spared no expense in providing him with the best medical support.

“Both Rilee and Kyle have been given opportunities over the past year to play at the highest level and were firmly in our plans for the future. We have encouraged Rilee and Kyle to reconsider their decisions but both have indicated that they wish to take up Kolpak contracts. While this is a loss for South African cricket we can only wish them well with their overseas careers.

“We will continue to invest heavily in our local talent and provide opportunities for those individuals who wish to realise their dream of playing for their country; we will not contract players who do not commit to play for South Africa,” concluded Mr. Lorgat.

This is bad for English cricket and SA cricket.

I think the ICC needs to create a centralized fund whereby 25 cricketers of in a test playing country will get $100,000 tax free even if they are selected for the squad or not.

Its being said these kolpaks are getting £100,000 a year. Plus the ability to play in effectively the CPL and Big bash league. But out of £100,000 some £35k will go in taxes etc and the cost of living is also much higher. 

24 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

This is bad for English cricket and SA cricket.

I think the ICC needs to create a centralized fund whereby 25 cricketers of in a test playing country will get $100,000 tax free even if they are selected for the squad or not.

Its being said these kolpaks are getting £100,000 a year. Plus the ability to play in effectively the CPL and Big bash league. But out of £100,000 some £35k will go in taxes etc and the cost of living is also much higher. 

Isn't abbot playing for kings ix Punjab ? He is making money isn't he ? Steyn might retire in a year or two. Abbot might have played for a few years for SA.

thats probably why he chose the kolpak route.

He got 2.1 crore which is twice the salary he is getting for the counties in the IPL. I am sure if Punjab (not blaming them one bit) had kept hold of him he would not be looking for a kolpak deal.

Worrying sign for SA is that Steyn and Morkel have lost their IPL contracts as well. Morkel is the key doubt IMO 

While Abbott had addressed media following the series-clinching victory, Rossouw was obviously not present. 

Domingo, usually quiet by nature, got stuck in when discussing Rossouw.

"I haven’t heard from Rilee since we left Australia, to be honest," Domingo said.

"Some of us have tried to get hold of him, and this is the truth, we got an email from him off his iPhone telling us he's signed a Kolpak deal.

"He spelled my name wrong for starters. He wrote one 'L' instead of two 'Ls'.

"That’s where we are. I am bitterly disappointed in him."

Domingo did not stop there and he highlighted how much time and patience Proteas management had invested in a player they considered to be closest to AB de Villiers, ability-wise. 

"He toured Australia as the back-up Test batsman. He was the next batsman in," Domingo said.

"He’s played One-Day cricket for us and lots of T20 cricket for us.

"He’s the guy we backed after five noughts. If that was a player of colour who got five noughts, everyone would have said 'transformation'.

"But he got five noughts and we thought this was a guy who could play the closest level to AB de Villiers. He’s a guy we’ve invested in massively and I am bitterly disappointed."

6 minutes ago, maniac said:

Can we import Kyle Abbott and Roussow as we need fast bowlers and power hitters in exchange for BS Sandhu and Kedar Jadhav-2 colored cricketers who will have a shot at making South African team....at least exchange is better than poaching.

Make in India

24 minutes ago, Stumped said:

The kolpak deal was apparently agreed on 6 months ago whilst we was in England playing county cricket as an overseas player. His contract with Hampshire will now prevent him playing IPL and CPL but he'll presumably be available for any other leagues during the English off season.

must have been told before hand not going to be retained....

Nobody is stupid to say no to effectively triple the salary in one season + international pay for county cricket.

2 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

While Abbott had addressed media following the series-clinching victory, Rossouw was obviously not present. 

Domingo, usually quiet by nature, got stuck in when discussing Rossouw.

"I haven’t heard from Rilee since we left Australia, to be honest," Domingo said.

"Some of us have tried to get hold of him, and this is the truth, we got an email from him off his iPhone telling us he's signed a Kolpak deal.

"He spelled my name wrong for starters. He wrote one 'L' instead of two 'Ls'.

"That’s where we are. I am bitterly disappointed in him."

Domingo did not stop there and he highlighted how much time and patience Proteas management had invested in a player they considered to be closest to AB de Villiers, ability-wise. 

"He toured Australia as the back-up Test batsman. He was the next batsman in," Domingo said.

"He’s played One-Day cricket for us and lots of T20 cricket for us.

"He’s the guy we backed after five noughts. If that was a player of colour who got five noughts, everyone would have said 'transformation'.

"But he got five noughts and we thought this was a guy who could play the closest level to AB de Villiers. He’s a guy we’ve invested in massively and I am bitterly disappointed."

OUCH.

Yep like I said Roussow was damn good....potentially next abd with the bat but better temparament. Sigh...abd, steyn etc they need to retire and yet youngsters come in.

Online sources seem to suggest that the highest paid South African international in AB De Villiers will be getting around £100,000 from their national contract whilst it's been reported that Abbotts final deal is £500,000 for a 4 year contract.

From what I've heard though the rand has apparently been quickly declining in recent years and is likely to continue doing so.

Rand was strengthening against Pound in recent times .

13 hours ago, G_B_ said:

thats probably why he chose the kolpak route.

He got 2.1 crore which is twice the salary he is getting for the counties in the IPL. I am sure if Punjab (not blaming them one bit) had kept hold of him he would not be looking for a kolpak deal.

Worrying sign for SA is that Steyn and Morkel have lost their IPL contracts as well. Morkel is the key doubt IMO 

they will all be picked again by franchises. 

Which players were Abbott supposed to replace, except World cup semifinals where Vernon played I don't think there was a case where Abbott was better bowler than the bowler who played match. Abbott or Rillee  were not the best players .Quota is needed for South Africa ,there was very little representation of 75% of population.Since 1992 reentry South Africa has been predominantly white with odd sprinkles here and there. 

Ntini was the main black player who represented 75% of population. So to get that 75% fair representation this quota is a must.Last two decades without any quota has not produced the desired results.These people who are majority in that country have been oppressed for so long and still are suffering in abject poverty.

CSA needs to heroes who will inspire masses as there so much untapped talent there and those heroes will  be Rabadas and Bavumas.

India is also in same boat Cricket needs to  to go villages in all parts of the country and  move away from a elite city sport which is dominated by major cities. Dhoni broke the mold and we need more Dhonis like CSA needs more Bavumas.

Edited by putrevus
34 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Which players were Abbott supposed to replace, except World cup semifinals where Vernon played I don't think there was a case where Abbott was better bowler than the bowler who played match. Abbott or Rillee  were not the best players .Quota is needed for South Africa ,there was very little representation of 75% of population.Since 1992 reentry South Africa has been predominantly white with odd sprinkles here and there. 

Ntini was the main black player who represented 75% of population. So to get that 75% fair representation this quota is a must.Last two decades without any quota has not produced the desired results.These people who are majority in that country have been oppressed for so long and still are suffering in abject poverty.

CSA needs to heroes who will inspire masses as there so much untapped talent there and those heroes will  be Rabadas and Bavumas.

India is also in same boat Cricket needs to  to go villages in all parts of the country and  move away from a elite city sport which is dominated by major cities. Dhoni broke the mold and we need more Dhonis like CSA needs more Bavumas.

Counter Argument can be made for Zimbabwe cricket...before Mugabe when they were a predominantly white team,they were very competitive and produced a couple of great cricketers....Now their team is in the dumps.

But then again the SA domestic structure is vastly superior to Zimbabwe.

3 hours ago, maniac said:

Counter Argument can be made for Zimbabwe cricket...before Mugabe when they were a predominantly white team,they were very competitive and produced a couple of great cricketers....Now their team is in the dumps.

But then again the SA domestic structure is vastly superior to Zimbabwe.

They are in dump because their administration was poor,WI had great teams and players but they are in total dump due to atrocious administration.The talent needs to grown from grass roots level .Administrators in both WI and Zimbabwe are busy filling in their pockets . They had few great talents does that mean  they should not look to integrate black players.

CSA is different they are making genuine attempt to integrate blacks into the team and it is social reform which will not happen overnight it take time and patience.When the country is 75% black , they need to have enough black players in the team.

CSA is lucky black players they have chosen are really good so guys like Abbot or Russo cannot complain inferior players are getting chances over them.